New Sako S20 Hunter in 6.5CM + Precision stock - what now?

JGRaider

WKR
First five shot group after boresighting with Norma Bondstrike 143's. That's a 1/2" square.
0Zv76AO.jpg
First five shot group with Norma Golden Target 143's
GidBZTd.jpg

What powder? What's the temp outside? What's the barrel temp to start? Are you in the sun? Is it windy?

Too many factors to answer your question in a meaningful way.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
That’s great. How are you finding the groupings with 6.5 prc. Does the barrel get pretty warm.
Mine is only 6.5CM, and while I'm not sure why you are asking about the barrel temp, I shot recently a string of 40-50 rounds in a short time frame and while I wasn't thinking about it, or touching the barrel, I didn't notice anything related to the barrel temp, or the shot placements.

Mine is only 6.5CM, and while I'm not sure why you are asking about the barrel temp, I shot recently a string of 40-50 rounds in a short time frame and while I wasn't thinking about it, or touching the barrel, I didn't notice anything related to the barrel temp, or the shot placements.

Unsuppressed? I burned my hand bad grabbing my can after 30 rounds of creed last month.

Slats!

FNG
I was asking because it’s my first 6.5 prc and I keep reading about all these myths haha

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Unsuppressed? I burned my hand bad grabbing my can after 30 rounds of creed last month.
Suppressed. And I use Armageddon Gear suppressor covers because I knew in advance (from many years of experience) that I would definitely flounder and make that mistake.

I was asking because it’s my first 6.5 prc and I keep reading about all these myths haha

A prc is going to produce more heat than a creed because you're burning more powder. If you don't need the ~200 extra yards that a prc gives you in max effective range, and you probably don't, the creed is a better choice because it is easier and cheaper to shoot. Even with a short barrel the creed has a max terminal range beyond 600 yards.

The rail system is the only beef with the rifle. Otherwise I would have one. You either accept the 0 MOA rail machined in the receiver or you have to buy their proprietary system.
If that's your only gripe with it I think "Near Manufacturering" makes a picatinny rail for it but you have to call them to ask about it. I'm not entirely sure but that may be an avenue.

Do you not have a suppressor mirage cover?

Slats!

FNG
A prc is going to produce more heat than a creed because you're burning more powder. If you don't need the ~200 extra yards that a prc gives you in max effective range, and you probably don't, the creed is a better choice because it is easier and cheaper to shoot. Even with a short barrel the creed has a max terminal range beyond 600 yards.
Sorry the price argument is really not relevant. It’s very minimal.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I’m not sure what this has to do with this thread, but I suppose I cause more than my share of tangents. I imagine the rail setup depends on what you are shooting and the distance, which I think has been brought up before.

For me I have no issues with using the Seekins rings I had on hand, but I may switch to UM rings.
I think I jinxed myself. I was thinking "hey, my rings are fine - who needs an Optilock rail." Well, it turns out I might. After having switched to shooting square to the rifle, I think I need more eye relief, which may mean I have to move the scope farther forward than the stock rail allows... I don't think I need any more elevation, but maybe it can't hurt to get that while I'm at it.

Have any of you with the S20 needed the Optilock or Contessa for the eye relief?

Maven with NF rings working great for me with room to spare.
a7744e86524a0b43b737a5e9041cb75b.jpg