Newer full sized pickup truck experiences?

Have people gave their experience with the new Ranger earlier in this thread? I've been waiting for them to come back

ZDR

WKR
My understanding is the only truck w more American made parts than the Tundra is the Ford. My 07 still looks great and is going strong.
I wasn't sure so looked it up. Obviously, I have too much free time today...

seems odd that Chevy/GM and Ford pickups are not on the list

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is the only truck w more American made parts than the Tundra is the Ford. My 07 still looks great and is going strong.
As I said before this is true, but when you go to a meeting in Detroit they think poorly of you for not pulling into the lot in one of the big 3. Our company makes and sells foam parts directly to every car manufacturer (Headrests, door panels, seats, bumper cores, trunk spacers) as well as foam tote packaging for lightweight/ergonomic lifting of parts going to/from the assembly lines. But we mainly meet physically with Detroit big 3. And the people of Detroit frown upon foreign owned cars driving into their lots.

I am quickly finding myself in the same boat. Anyone that chimes in.....add $$$ maybe? I am floored, then even more so.

Reading this thread made me build a few gas 7.3 F250s last night. $49,800. In reality a 4X4 with minor upgrades isn't even close to that on the lot????? More like $60,000?

Really don't want to spend $45,000 on a new, full sized truck. But that's fleet line 4X4 now??

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
As I said before this is true, but when you go to a meeting in Detroit they think poorly of you for not pulling into the lot in one of the big 3. Our company makes and sells foam parts directly to every car manufacturer (Headrests, door panels, seats, bumper cores, trunk spacers) as well as foam tote packaging for lightweight/ergonomic lifting of parts going to/from the assembly lines. But we mainly meet physically with Detroit big 3. And the people of Detroit frown upon foreign owned cars driving into their lots.
Detroit here. No, no we really don't care.
I was a contractor for GM, they aren't looking out in the parking lot when you pulled up, nor do they ask or care. I drove my Ford on their lots and never once heard anything about it.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I was a contractor for GM, they aren't looking out in the parking lot when you pulled up, nor do they ask or care. I drove my Ford on their lots and never once heard anything about it.
The Ford crew seems to care quite a bit because we park where we meet at the lab. The FCA guys don't care much. GM we normally park far off and shuttle over, but when they visit us they rib you for non-American.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Also you are saying you drove a Big 3 truck still. They don't care about that. They care if you come in with say my all Japanese made Subaru Forester or a Toyota that's stealing their competition.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
The Ford crew seems to care quite a bit because we park where we meet at the lab. The FCA guys don't care much. GM we normally park far off and shuttle over, but when they visit us they rib you for non-American.
I can't speak to Ford.
Do you visit the VEC?

TexasCub

WKR
Also you are saying you drove a Big 3 truck still. They don't care about that. They care if you come in with say my all Japanese made Subaru Forester or a Toyota that's stealing their competition.

Not in the full size truck market! The Big 3 sold almost 2 million full size trucks in 2020 (a bad year) Toyota sold 108,000 Tundras, that would not seem all that competitive to me. You could even throw in the 200,000 Tacoma’s they sold and it still wouldn’t mean much in the way of competition.

180ls1

WKR
Had a cummins, great truck. I have a Toyota now. It has 200K and almost no issues. Just a fuse and suspension @ 180K besides normal wear items.

mdp22

FNG
I am quickly finding myself in the same boat. Anyone that chimes in.....add $$$ maybe? I am floored, then even more so.

Reading this thread made me build a few gas 7.3 F250s last night. $49,800. In reality a 4X4 with minor upgrades isn't even close to that on the lot????? More like $60,000?

Really don't want to spend $45,000 on a new, full sized truck. But that's fleet line 4X4 now??
My 2018 F-150 was a last year's special. Window sticker was $49,500, got it for $36,500. It was our third new vehicle from the dealership so I'm sure that played into it. End of year deals are worth the wait IMO. A friend picked up a F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab last spring for $42,000, gas motor and nothing fancy but still a good end of year deal.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
My 2018 F-150 was a last year's special. Window sticker was $49,500, got it for $36,500. It was our third new vehicle from the dealership so I'm sure that played into it. End of year deals are worth the wait IMO. A friend picked up a F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab last spring for $42,000, gas motor and nothing fancy but still a good end of year deal.
True story right there. My 2013 f150 xlt SCrew 4x4 ecoboost, bought in 2014, was $30,xxx out the door.
People write off HD trucks, price them out. A gasser F250 is within a few hundred bucks of a similar f150. I'd venture to guess ram and GM are the same.

End of year is a great tip. Id also add that if possible you could try to go through the Costco dealership partner program or whatever they call it if you're a costco member. I also got my 2018 f150 brand new at the end of the year and ended up with over 10k off the sticker price. I paid 36.5k for my truck im pretty sure. 8k of that was instant just from going through Costco with no haggling, it was pretty painless once they tracked down the truck I wanted and got it to their dealership(i had very specific options i wanted and was only interested in 2 colors)

I will also say that the Costco savings must vary greatly with brand and vehicle. Did the same costco thing when we got my wifes 2018 jeep wrangler a few months later and it didn't really save us any money that time unfortunately lol. People like those damn jeeps too much just like Toyotas lol

Heard Costco SC that program.

End of calendar year or FY? I swear they are rolling out 2023 models already to the lots. Just not at all up on new vehicles
end of calendar year. sometimes end of the month too. If dealers are close to hitting their end of the year or end of the month numbers they get big bonuses from the manufacturer and they might take a little bit more off your deal to get it done.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
end of calendar year. sometimes end of the month too. If dealers are close to hitting their end of the year or end of the month numbers they get big bonuses from the manufacturer and they might take a little bit more off your deal to get it done.
I did that exact scenario about two years ago on the last day of the month. I walked out with what I feel was a silly low price. But I’ll take it. LOL.

hodgeman

WKR
The Tundras I've seen, at least 2017 or newer, start at the top of my budget. I'm not against them at all otherwise!
Buy once, cry once.

My 2015 5.7 has been bulletproof. They're dropping the 5.7 for the 2022 model year in favor of a 3.5 supercharged 6 cylinder. The 5.7s are going to get even more expensive.

I have a 2015 tundra with 140k miles, no major issues so far. It was well worth whatever premium I paid compared to big 3. Only complaint is gas mileage but you can’t have it all...