OTC 2024-2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep it up guys, karma is a beast....

Sorry this post got so many upset, and at this point I don't think anything good could really come out of it with all this hate at the forefront, which really was surprising to me because up to date I have found Rokslide to be very informative and a lot of great info has been shared. I am going to leave the post up for a little longer, mainly to entertain some more hate, then I will delete it. If I ever run into any of you in the next few years, you would gladly take back all that was said, if you met me in person and didn't let your ego's do the talking.

I'd recommend to slow your roll.

The OTC stuff being blasted has really hurt the opportunities, that's a fact.

I have watched "my" OTC unit go to to draw, and go to taking points.

Have also watched easy to draw units go to taking several years of points to draw.

To your karma point, OTC will be gone in a few years.

Jbehredt

WKR
Good to see the bar being lowered. If learning the rules is too hard perhaps you shouldn’t play the game.

OP
sleekmedia

sleekmedia

FNG
Classified Approved
I'd recommend to slow your roll.

The OTC stuff being blasted has really hurt the opportunities, that's a fact.

I have watched "my" OTC unit go to to draw, and go to taking points.

Have also watched easy to draw units go to taking several years of points to draw.

To your karma point, OTC will be gone in a few years.

I think this is the most sincere post I have received yet that I can actually relate with...

You guys need to realize I am new to western hunting and didn't recognize "how bad" you say the competition really is and am not familiar with the history of OTC tags, quotas, and draws becoming harder to obtain in the same light that you have such experience.

I don't want any more hunting pressure than anyone else, but I don't have the experience you all have to know how this would easily offend others. I grew up on the east coast with dreams of being able to hunt mule deer my entire life, and worked very hard to get to where I am at to be able to afford and have the time for out-of-state hunting. The recent mule-deer archery hunt completely changed my life and passion for the sport and I am just excited about trying to find more opportunities to do that, simple as that.

Consider, not all have access to big game species like Elk and Mule-Deer in their home state, and this is the only option for some of us to fulfill our dreams of hunting western game, wether you like it or not. Also consider that I could afford hiring an outfitter, guided hunt, or landowner tags but I chose to hunt solo self-guided 100% of the time and pass-up animals on my hunts instead of shooting fork horns and am okay going home empty handed. I would have thought that would at least generated some respect compared to people who pay outfitters and guides to scout their animals for them and put in zero work. I don't hear complaining about all the people paying big money for guided hunts and landowner tags, just complaints about the guy who wants to do it on his own and put in the work.

You all could have nicely stated why you are so against people posting about this info, provided insight into the situation to educate me, or PM'd me instead of blasting the new guy, who is seriously just trying to get advice.
You also could have ignored this thread altogether, but you all have to make your emotions heard. On the contrary I did a search and there are many other threads talking about OTC tags, draw odds, deadlines, etc. for many of the states I have listed here, so not sure why my post is any different. Again for the record, I get what you guys are saying just didn't realize it would generate so much hate.

Keep it up guys, karma is a beast....Consider that at some point in time if others hadn't helped you learn, you wouldn't know what you currently know. If you think everything you know was obtained from trial and error on your own knowledge and time you would only be lying to yourself. Knowledge is meant to be shared not selfishly secured and there can come great reward from helping others. The majority of my success as a hunter came from learning from others, including friends, mentors, my father and the internet. Thus I will gladly help someone learn how to hunt my state (without revealing my spots that I worked for several years to obtain). Even if I told all of you where to go, you would still have to put in the work like I did to find good game, which 99% of people wont do.

I get all of your points and agree 100% with what you are trying to say, but I really think you are all acting with emotional bias. Taking your frustration out on this post, for the reason tags are becoming harder to obtain is laughable when the real culprit is YouTubers like Cam Hanes and GoHunt (which you act like is okay) are blasting this information across the web. I get an email from GoHunt almost weekly talking about OTC tags and draw odds. I find it hard to believe that some small time guy who's on rockslide and archery-talk, who posted a forum thread that will be lucky to get (50 views max) in its entire existence is the reason you are seeing more pressure in your home states.

If you think you've seen pressure you ought to come out to PA where cross-bows are allowed during regular archery season. I've been seeing more pressure in Pennsylvania every year for the last decade and its not because of internet popularity, its because population increase, land being bought up, and the fact hunting is more accessible and being promoted by famous people on the internet. I don't think Rockslide members are the guys ruining your hunts and adding pressure to the system.

This is actually really quite ironic because I only saw 2 hunters my entire 11-days in AZ. That's a lot less pressure than I deal with here in PA, yet you complain about how saturated it is there. You can find a tree stand about every 200 yards here in PA on public land, yet I don't complain about it or blame people online who asks for advice on how to hunt my state. I have just learned to adapt and yes it makes my hunts harder, but that makes them more rewarding when you have success.

Also, I have researched everything above for almost a year now and the majority of the info is NOT readily available until you actually purchase a license and get into some of the online permit system portals. Only after you create an account and buy a license are you able to get certain information on the details of the draw process or their available permits. I am a premium GoHunt member (which one of you recommended above) and even their website draw filters don't do it all and are kind of a scam. Figuring out the AZ OTC process was not easy, just to get the info I needed.

Sorry this post got so many upset, and at this point I don't think anything good could really come out of it with all this hate at the forefront, which really was surprising to me because up to date I have found Rokslide to be very informative and a lot of great info has been shared. I am going to leave the post up for a little longer, mainly to entertain some more hate, then I will delete it. If I ever run into any of you in the next few years, you would gladly take back all that was said, if you met me in person and didn't let your ego's do the talking.
Ok.
Rokslide: can we meme yet!!???!!

Who do you think was going to sit down, research everything you felt the need to ask, type it up and conveniently post it for everyone to see. For free!!?? There’s literally a business of people making money for what you asked for.

I think this is the most sincere post I have received yet that I can actually relate with...

You guys need to realize I am new to western hunting and didn't recognize "how bad" you say the competition really is and am not familiar with the history of OTC tags, quotas, and draws becoming harder to obtain in the same light that you have such experience.

I don't want any more hunting pressure than anyone else, but I don't have the experience you all have to know how this would easily offend others. I grew up on the east coast with dreams of being able to hunt mule deer my entire life, and worked very hard to get to where I am at to be able to afford and have the time for out-of-state hunting. The recent mule-deer archery hunt completely changed my life and passion for the sport and I am just excited about trying to find more opportunities to do that, simple as that.

Consider, not all have access to big game species like Elk and Mule-Deer in their home state, and this is the only option for some of us to fulfill our dreams of hunting western game, wether you like it or not. Also consider that I could afford hiring an outfitter, guided hunt, or landowner tags but I chose to hunt solo self-guided 100% of the time and pass-up animals on my hunts instead of shooting fork horns and am okay going home empty handed. I would have thought that would at least generated some respect compared to people who pay outfitters and guides to scout their animals for them and put in zero work. I don't hear complaining about all the people paying big money for guided hunts and landowner tags, just complaints about the guy who wants to do it on his own and put in the work.

You all could have nicely stated why you are so against people posting about this info, provided insight into the situation to educate me, or PM'd me instead of blasting the new guy, who is seriously just trying to get advice.
You also could have ignored this thread altogether, but you all have to make your emotions heard. On the contrary I did a search and there are many other threads talking about OTC tags, draw odds, deadlines, etc. for many of the states I have listed here, so not sure why my post is any different. Again for the record, I get what you guys are saying just didn't realize it would generate so much hate.

It's the off season, everyone has cabin fever, you are lucky it's not already a meme fest.

I'm a fellow east coaster, I understand why you are asking the questions, and after taking the leap in '07 and seeing what has happened, I also understand the responses.

The info really isn't hard to find, and there's not a lot of love for those who just pay the money either, this is a site dedicated to what you want to do. The techniques, the gear, but the getting the tags info is generally guarded. Just so it doesn't easily pop up in an internet search and further reduce odds or crowding.

Hnthrdr

WKR

It was your dream to hunt out west as a kid. Do you have some hunting opportunities in your home state?

For a lot of us, our home states are our only hunting opportunities. So for us to make tags harder to get make easy opportunities more pressured is crapping all over our dreams, most of us have seen opportunities dry up and disappear before our very eyes it’s why a lot of guys here are defensive don’t want the west to get anymore pimped out than it already is.

I come here to discuss tactics, share some pictures, and everyonce in a while maybe a DM to someone I’ve chatted with before. The days of just dumping unit numbers and specific drainages are long gone

Welcome to Rokslide. Anything you post that draws attention to a particular unit, state, opportunity, etc is going to be met with hostility. If you continue to come hunt out west and dig into the draw/otc trends across the west, you will understand why.

OP
sleekmedia

sleekmedia

FNG
Classified Approved
I can take the meme's don't worry.... and I am starting to get what you guys are saying. I just thought Rokslide was a pretty small forum and didn't realize that people think this info is really going to "get out there" so easily. I really just wanted to learn more and start an enjoyable conversation between knowledgeable people about elk and mule deer opportunities, but I get that this could provide info to those who are fairly undeserving of the opportunity.

That's the biggest thing I noticed getting into western hunting is that this sport is all about money. From the outfitters/guides, to the draws, the preference points, landowner tags, and finding info online. The whole system has been poisoned, which is why I am sure it's upsetting to most of you.

In my state any non-resident can buy an over the counter tag and there are no draws, so I just haven't been exposed to it the same way everyone else has.

KurtR

WKR
Ok.
Rokslide: can we meme yet!!???!!

Who do you think was going to sit down, research everything you felt the need to ask, type it up and conveniently post it for everyone to see. For free!!?? There’s literally a business of people making money for what you asked for.
I was just thinking we need some kind of signal for the mhg. I feel this is the right time

CorbLand

WKR
I can take the meme's don't worry.... and I am starting to get what you guys are saying. I just thought Rokslide was a pretty small forum and didn't realize that people think this info is really going to "get out there" so easily. I really just wanted to learn more and start an enjoyable conversation between knowledgeable people about elk and mule deer opportunities, but I get that this could provide info to those who are fairly undeserving of the opportunity.

That's the biggest thing I noticed getting into western hunting is that this sport is all about money. From the outfitters/guides, to the draws, the preference points, landowner tags, and finding info online. The whole system has been poisoned, which is why I am sure it's upsetting to most of you.

In my state any non-resident can buy an over the counter tag and there are no draws, so I just haven't been exposed to it the same way everyone else has.
Your name leads to sleek media which specializes in digital advertising…your telling me that you own/work for a company that does digital advertising but don’t realize how easy things can be found on the internet and how quickly it can move?

1706665711137.jpeg
And by the above, I mean
1706665882716.gif

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

Google knows how popular we are, lots of search results have us in the top ten results. Also we’re well past 50 views 🙂

If you genuinely want a real challenge, Nevada has OTC mountain lion tags.

There is a quota for diff parts of the state so you have to call a number before each hunt and listen to a recording to make sure the area you want to hunt is still open, but it is so hard to actually find the lions that Every time I’ve called the whole state was still open.

there are vast areas of remote public land to explore here, mostly dry “forest island” mountain ridges interspersed with desert valleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.