Outdoor Work Pants

Sbrannon

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey y’all I got a question. I do land surveying so a lot of times that means I’m busting through brush, briars, hopping fences, and just all around trekking through the woods. I’ve always worn jeans but I’m starting to feel as though those are not the best suited style of pants for durability. I’ve begun looking at hiking and hunting pants as they’re more designed with durability in mind. Do y’all have any recommendations based on experience that just lends toward a durable pair of pants that get day in day out use year round? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
depends on your budget. I like having knee pad pockets in my work pants but do not want to spend $200 a pair so I use surplus combat pants alot. Knee pads, good wear, great pockets and good fit...downsides are some csr's may not like camo and some people think your military. Upside is you can get good condition pants for $30. I use up 4-5 pair a year.

i just got five of the Duluth Trading Co firehose pants from thrift store. they are pretty nice, seem durable. don't know what they cost new but they feel good. Get a couple carhartt or mililtary surplus. good gear is expensive.

In regards to the duluth pants, my “fire flex” pants got destroyed by briars. The “fire hose” pants may do better. I hate pants without any flex so i just get $20 wrangler outdoor pants and replace as necessary. They aren’t quite as durable as canvas/duck pants but they hold up pretty dang well to briars and dry out fast from morning dew and are very stretchy.

OP
S

Sbrannon

FNG
Classified Approved
In regards to the duluth pants, my “fire flex” pants got destroyed by briars. The “fire hose” pants may do better. I hate pants without any flex so i just get $20 wrangler outdoor pants and replace as necessary. They aren’t quite as durable as canvas/duck pants but they hold up pretty dang well to briars and dry out fast from morning dew and are very stretchy.

I just picked up some Magellan outdoor pants for $30 today at academy so we will see how long they last. If I can get through a year only buying 5 of them, I’ll be happy

*zap*

WKR
a good pair of full length codura chaps may help at times depending on conditions. Open at the crotch so they breath fairly well.....great for tall grass and dew, briars, etc.

Last edited:

def90

WKR
If you are walking through a lot of brush get a pair of upland bird hunting pants. They front leg panel will be made from a fabric that resists thorns and picking up burrs.

Here are just a couple examples:

woodswise

FNG
I second the idea of chaps as an option. They are every durable; brambles, briars and burdock don't stick to them. They can be removed easily when conditions call for lighter gear. Can be waterproof or not. Only drawback in my opinion , is they don't cover your crotch if you are in tall wet grass.

a good pair of full length codura chaps may help at times depending on conditions. Open at the crotch so they breath fairly well.....great for tall grass and dew, briars, etc.

Chaps were exactly what I was thinking.

I bought my first pair for bird hunting, but they see use for all sorts of other stuff now too.

For most of the work on our property, I use the Wrangler rip-stop cargo pants from Walmart. They are like $23 a pair. They won’t stop briars, but they won’t get torn up by them either.
For the times when I am walking the property lines and busting brush, I wear a pair of Cabelas upland jeans. They are canvas fronts on regular jeans. They work great, but tend to get hot.