Preferred sidearm for hunting and or camping/hiking

apl1893

Hello all,
Still relatively new to hunting in general and I wanted to get some input about what people carry when out in the woods.
I am going out to Colorado this year for Elk bow season. I was thinking about bringing my SIG 220 10mm as my sidearm.
What do you guys carry?

camping1601

When and if I carry it's usually a Glock 43. When backpacking it's a compact 380.

AZsniper

M&P 40 sub compact 40. With night sites. I think the sites are very important IMO

Reactions: scp

scp

G20SF. Carries well, packs a punch, reliable, reasonable size. Oh, and as AZ Sniper mentioned immediately above, illuminated sights.

Last edited:

rob86jeep

Colorado OTC archery elk...the bears are running for their lives.....

I don't pack a sidearm in CO in over 30 years of OTC bowhunting

____
Isn't just bears though, there's also mountain lions, coyotes, wolves in some places, moose, other people, or even to be used as a signaling device during emergencies. If you carry a gun daily in society, it's not a bad practice to carry it in the woods as well. Now, if you were considering taking a gun only because you were concerned about bears, then I agree with you.

Erno86

My hunting camp pistol...is my Ruger DA, Super Redhawk revolver, chambered in 454 Casull/45 Colt.

elkduds

Taurus titanium 357 snubby w 7 shots, when I'm not carrying a long gun. Training hikes, Keltec P9 pocket which is my daily carry piece.