Preferred sidearm for hunting and or camping/hiking

If in snake country I prefer a revolver for reliable use of shot shells. I alternate shot shells with quality hunting/defense loads and a speed loader with the hunting/defense loads like the Hornady Critical Defense. I like the Ruger LCR in .357 mag that is light and DA. If I am more concerned about dangerous game I have my S&W 629 V-Comp in .44 mag. For a semi auto for these types of situations I have a G22 converted to .357 SIG. Higher round count and extra mags triple the round count of the revolvers.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on where I am going it is usually a .357 or .44 magnum. If I were to be in grizzly country It would be my .454. I save the 1911 for "urban carry".

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anybody ever heard of a mountain lion or wolf attack on a hunter? I don't think I have.

I once heard of a coyote attack on a turkey hunter. The dog snuck in on him while he was set up and calling. He promptly beat it to death with his seat.

I read an article some years back about a bow hunter who found himself getting flanked by wolves, he called them in and and shot a few, he only had a 22 pistol with him if I recall.

A runner was mauled and killed by wolves on the Alaska peninsula a few years ago as well.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
10mm is a great round, especially for hunting. I have a glock20sf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
You should always carry what you are most proficient at shooting with.

For me it happens to be a Browning HiPower though it is a bit heavy, when the current handgun inventory gets back to normal I’ll be buying a Glock 19 to carry.

As for carrying while hunting, I don’t carry because of 4 legged animals, I carry because of the 2 legged animals that you may run in to out there. I stumbled upon a homeless camp in the woods in the middle of nowehere while turkey hunting a couple years back, wasn’t sure who or what was hiding amongst the strung up tarps and piles of garbage. Was nice to have something other than a bow just in case. There have been a number of run ins In the woods over the last few years along peak to peak highway and other places around Colorado with homeless people living in the woods. A few years back some guy was able to tie up a couple hikers outside of Nederland and hold them until one of them managed to escape.

Last edited:

Spike elk

WKR
I have been going old school for the last year and packing a Blackhawk in 45 Colt with warm loads. It carries well in a Galco and a good belt. Plenty of confidence in it.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
EDC is a G43. 7+1 in the gun and a 8 round reload. Only reason I'd carry something bigger while hunting or scouting would be to fill a tag with it. Then i'd take the G21.

jhim

FNG
My CCW is a Glock 29 and my back country/grizzly country is a S&W 329PD attached to my bino harness in a holster I made for it. I kick around the idea of taking the Glock 29 just because I have a light on it and it is really nice to be able to see what went bump in the night.

I acquired a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag with buffaloe bore in 330gr. Insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsparks

FNG
G21 in 460 Rowland with night sights and Streamlight laser /light combo alternating warm loads of 250 XTP and hard cast. I'd feel fine with 10mm as well and may go that direction some day to get rid of the size/ sound/ flash of the compensator.

Wouldn't mind something lighter for non griz country but haven't figured out what. Those titanium S&W .357 look sweet, just can't shoot a revolver as well as a Glock.

Carry in an HPG Recon which I mostly love, though it can get a bit hot at times.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Glock 20 but carry my Buckmark ten times more often. Where I live, I'm more likely to encounter grouse than grizzly.

I know it's not an ideal self defense round, but 10 rounds of .22lr isn't totally negligible when negotiating with a meth head.

TheGDog

WKR
Question for those of you in SoCal... with experience taking Black Bears here... encountering our sized bears... which in general are not quite as big... would you say a 9mm with the right load should be enough? I'm thinking along the lines of Lehigh Extreme Penetrators loaded by Underwood.

Last edited: