Quilt vs. mummy bag

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was being facetious, what I was describing as a sleeping bag...
Most sleeping bags don't zip along three sides... may want to sharpen up on your descriptive terminology, easier to follow facetiousness that way. What you in fact described was The One bag system from North Face without even knowing that's what you were doing. Facetious, or ironic? The world may never know.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Made the switch to a Hammock Gear 20* quilt and don’t plan on goin back to a mummy ever again. Way more room and don’t feel like I’m gettin choked off of I roll around. I run a BA q core pad and haven’t had issues. Layers are key and so is a hoody or beanie for those cold nights

I want something that will protect me when the shit hits the fan and quilts are good to around to mid 30s - maybe.

Summer means quilts. Fall/winter means sleeping bags for me.

I would rather have a few more ounces and carry a bag IMO. If I’m going to save weight I will save some place that won’t have a negative effect that could end with me leaving a trip early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takeem406

WKR
I ended up buying both last year. I bought a WM Alpinelite and a EE Enigma 30 degree. I was good with the quilt down to 20 degrees with a liner and my baselayer.

I sadly didn't get but one night in the WM. I might swap it out for a slightly wider bag though. Or just lose more weight lol.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’m experimenting with a quilt right now because I found a pretty good deal on a used Warbonnet Mamba XL 20deg, and because I found that I tend to unzip my bags and lay them over me like a quilt anyway—as long as the temps aren’t pushing the ratings.

But even with the XL version, I get a lot of drafts. I toss and turn a bit, and it just seems like there’s no way to go from back to side without lifting one side of the quilt. If I tie the quilt under me, it’s great for back sleeping but I get massive drafts when I roll. If I use some shock cord and run it under my sleeping pad, I can keep the drafts out when side sleeping, but it pulls kind of tight on my top shoulder, flattening the down and lowering the temp rating.

I think I’ve decided to stick with a bag when on the ground and pair my top quilt with an under quilt for my hammock.

Dools009

FNG
I'd echo what a lot of people here have indicated. Quilts are great and more flexible in warmer temps (32F and above for me). Anything below that and I use a mummy bag. I find that a 20F quilt (older golite Ultra 20 model with overfill) and a FF Raven UL (10F mummy with lots of shoulder room for extra layers), gives me a 2 bag quiver that gets me through everything from hot summer nights to 0F.

If you go the quilt route Enlightened Equipment makes some elastic pad straps that have little clips on them that you can attach to your quilt. It keeps your quilt in the same place relative the pad even if you roll around and really helps with drafts and comfort.

So for broader shouldered people the quilts are generally more comfortable? I'm trying to make exactly this decision right now and I'm only 5'10", but I'm broad shouldered

So for broader shouldered people the quilts are generally more comfortable? I'm trying to make exactly this decision right now and I'm only 5'10", but I'm broad shouldered

You can't generalize based on having broad shoulders. There are wide bags just as there are wide quilts if broad shoulders causes constriction in tighter mummy bags. If you're Brock Lesnar, yeah, you might find your options in bags more limited.

Some people of all sizes are more comfortable in quilts, others are not.

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
I run a quilt. Less confining, takes up less space per temp rating. I always have a hat with me I wear to bed when it’s cold. I am more comfortable in a quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To all you EE guys would the convert or conundrum be the way to go? From what I’ve found they are the lightest sleeping bags with the biggest demensions.

kabarNC

FNG
I'd echo what a lot of people here have indicated. Quilts are great and more flexible in warmer temps (32F and above for me). Anything below that and I use a mummy bag. I find that a 20F quilt (older golite Ultra 20 model with overfill) and a FF Raven UL (10F mummy with lots of shoulder room for extra layers), gives me a 2 bag quiver that gets me through everything from hot summer nights to 0F.

If you go the quilt route Enlightened Equipment makes some elastic pad straps that have little clips on them that you can attach to your quilt. It keeps your quilt in the same place relative the pad even if you roll around and really helps with drafts and comfort.

This. Those straps work. I have never had a draft in my quilt.

Im a rotisserie sleeper, and bags have not been conducive to that for me.

I would also take a good look at Katabatic Gear, they have a great design.

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my EE enigma 20 quilt and I am so excited to get it out. Pad strap system keeps the sides sealed when moving around. Very lofty and warm. They increased fill weights this year by 30% and it weighs just under 21oz with the straps for a reg/wide. So light!

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I went the quilt route two years ago and had a high buck trip with snow and 26 degrees. I'm not sure I would have stayed on the mountain if I didn't have a bivy and a woobie with me. And it is a zero degree quilt. It would have been lighter just to bring a mummy. I just bought a Nemo mummy bag with extra room in the hips for side sleepers that I will use for the colder weather.

Here's my .02...I'm 6'3 and broad. I've always been a side sleeper but a shoulder injury has forced me to my back. There is an interview on the Ben Greenfield fitness podcast about training to sleep on your back with a small neck support pillow. I have been working at it and I am getting really comfortable on my back and my wife says I don't move an inch all night. I am notorious for side sleeping and rolling so I always hated a mummy but you can learn to back sleep and it might be much better for you.