Quilts. Good, bad, and which one

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
So finally pulled the trigger and order my custom quilt from el coyote. I ended up ordering a 10 degree regular length wide quilt. My decision came down to a couple things. 1. Weight. While the el coyote quilt wasn’t the lightest it only weighed a couple ounces more and came standard with 900+ full power down and 30% overstuff. 2. Wait times. Listed as 1-2 weeks over 10-12 weeks. 3. Local to me and made in the USA.

Plus Brian (owner) was super responsive to my emails and confirmed what quilt I likely wanted.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
@Northpark: I'd be incredibly surprised if the El Coyote Quilt didn't surpass your expectations.....it did mine. True it may not be the lightest but their Regular is 56" (wider than most other mfg by 2"- 4") so it doesn't skimp on coverage to decrease weight...couldn't be happier.
Like you, Brian's exceptional customer service is what finally swayed me to push the order button.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I suppose that's all true. But read post #34 on page two.
That member said he spoke with EE and told them the coldest he expected to use it was 25 and they told him to buy a 10 degree

So that proves my point to go at least one step heavier then they recommend.
And that they are falsely making there temp recommendations.
If you need a 10 rating to stay warm in 25 they they should call that a 25 degree.
So with that logic if you were gonna actually use it in 10 you would need a -5

The product itself was nice. But call it what it is so customers can buy they correct stuff. I know if various a little person to person.
But to me its quite clear they are trying to inflate there rating to sell you on a lower weight.
It's no different than sleeping bags. They advertise them at the LIMIT ratings, the COMFORT ratings are usually 10+ degrees higher. It isn't false advertising, if it is, everyone is guilty of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's no different than sleeping bags. They advertise them at the LIMIT ratings, the COMFORT ratings are usually 10+ degrees higher. It isn't false advertising, if it is, everyone is guilty of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Read my post they are an extra 10 off from every other manufacturer you can see it in the fill weights.
And no where on there sight do they claim

I stand buy thr statement that EE knows there ratings are 10 off from every manufacturer and they are doing it to advertise a lower weight and it is false trickery that leads alot of customers to order a quilt unusable in the conditions they intended.

Jdw901

FNG
I really like my two quilts (katabatic elite, 15 and 30 degrees) for the early season. They aren’t great when it’s cold - managing drafts just means a less good nights sleep. I switched to a western mountaineering mummy bag for below freezing temps, and am very glad I did.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I’m the same though my magic number is 20F. Anything below that and I prefer a traditional bag...above 20F an El Coyote quilt gets the nod.

TheViking

WKR
So finally pulled the trigger and order my custom quilt from el coyote. I ended up ordering a 10 degree regular length wide quilt. My decision came down to a couple things. 1. Weight. While the el coyote quilt wasn’t the lightest it only weighed a couple ounces more and came standard with 900+ full power down and 30% overstuff. 2. Wait times. Listed as 1-2 weeks over 10-12 weeks. 3. Local to me and made in the USA.

Plus Brian (owner) was super responsive to my emails and confirmed what quilt I likely wanted.

Im 6’ 200#s athletic build (not fat). Looking at the chart, regular length and regular width looks good to me. Do you agree? Or any other suggestions?

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
Im 6’ 200#s athletic build (not fat). Looking at the chart, regular length and regular width looks good to me. Do you agree? Or any other suggestions?
I am 6'2" about 200 pounds. Brian recommended the Tall and wide bag for me. I took his advice and am glad I did. I would ask him and see what he says. He is super responsive and very helpful. You may not need the tall... but that extra width is worth it IMO... I would imagine that a quilt that was too narrow would be miserable. I had my custom quilt within a week of ordering it.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
So being 5’9” and about 170lbs currently I am very glad I went with the wide as it really doesn’t add much more weight but does feel very comfortable. I went with a regular length but if I was 6’ I think I’d be looking at the long. A long wide wouldn’t add more than a few ounces but would probably be more comfortable. Check with Brian though. He is super responsive and will help you make a well informed decision.