Rear bag suggestions?

repins05

WKR
Looking for some rear bag suggestions. Probably going to throw one in my pack. Looking at precision underground at the moment.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great question, there are lots of great suggestions and threads. But it can be as personal as Choosing boots and then fitting them.

What is your shooting style, butt stock toe shape, cartridge, use, and ultimate distance?

We have a variety at LS Wild for the back country, and make the Wedge bag for Long Range Only. They vary from about an ounce to a pound or two.

Our popular among Roksliders are the 2-5 Ultralight at 2.5 ounces, the Triple S, and the bags from the Back Country Combo, more traditional shooting bags. www.lswild.com

Most recently, @TimberHunter reached out. We had some conversation and got advice. He chose the Mini Wedge for his application. He hasn’t shot it yet, but sounds like he is excited to try. His thread is here.

Thread 'What Rear Bag for in Field Shooting? '
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/what-rear-bag-for-in-field-shooting.344286/

Feel free to reach out by PM with your cell if you want to talk though your use.

Great question, there are lots of great suggestions and threads. But it can be as personal as Choosing boots and then fitting them.

What is your shooting style, butt stock toe shape, cartridge, use, and ultimate distance?

We have a variety at LS Wild for the back country, and make the Wedge bag for Long Range Only. They vary from about an ounce to a pound or two.

Our popular among Roksliders are the 2-5 Ultralight at 2.5 ounces, the Triple S, and the bags from the Back Country Combo, more traditional shooting bags. www.lswild.com

Most recently, @TimberHunter reached out. We had some conversation and got advice. He chose the Mini Wedge for his application. He hasn’t shot it yet, but sounds like he is excited to try. His thread is here.

Thread 'What Rear Bag for in Field Shooting? '
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/what-rear-bag-for-in-field-shooting.344286/

Feel free to reach out by PM with your cell if you want to talk though your use.

Strongly recommend reaching out to hereinaz!

I will report back once I have time with the mini wedge. Should have plenty of practice in the next few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
I just received my 2-5 this week. Haven’t taken it to the range yet, but a couple dry fires at the house make me think it’s going to be a great lightweight option. The weight to stability is hard for me to wrap my head around, but it seems to excel. Range time will tell.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just received my 2-5 this week. Haven’t taken it to the range yet, but a couple dry fires at the house make me think it’s going to be a great lightweight option. The weight to stability is hard for me to wrap my head around, but it seems to excel. Range time will tell.
It took some experimenting, but it gives stability to reduce the wobble about like a typical sized rectangle bag with regular fill. A couple of the things to experiment with is tightening the buckle and then creating a "U" shaped saddle for the stock to sit in.

Its amazing how much stability it can impart for the weight.

The "squishy" factor of the beads on recoil is a tradeoff for stability in recoil. Lighter recoiling rifles don't lose much precision, but higher recoiling rifles can make a shooter scratch his head why the groups don't match the sight picture when they break the shot. Groups can open up because of the bag, if shooter form isn't on point.

For shooters that are used to relying on a heavy bag underneath the stock to support the heavy recoil of a rifle, they might mysteriously start shooting bigger groups even though their wobble is small and the trigger break is clean. It is the same reason shooters who dig their bipods into the ground to heavily load the bipod shoot bigger groups off their backpack and POI changes.

Less support in any portion of the system means the rifle has another way it can move in recoil, which means the shooter's form is even more important.

Probably a good topic for the long range tips.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Looking for some rear bag suggestions. Probably going to throw one in my pack. Looking at precision underground at the moment.

This is the best I have found for all around field use-

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6163.jpeg

They are a lot more “filled” when new, this one is about 8-9 years old, and is much better now that is about 2/3rd full due to the fill getting smushed down.

@hereinaz

Do you make one approx that size that is not filled to the brim?

Lawnboi

WKR
This is why all bags should come with a fill spout.

Iv got a near new precision underground if you’re interested. Never use a rear only bag normally go for a pint sized or schmedium gamechanger.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

View attachment 666985

View attachment 666986

They are a lot more “filled” when new, this one is about 8-9 years old, and is much better now that is about 2/3rd full due to the fill getting smushed down.

@hereinaz

Yes, ours is approximately the same size. I had a bag like yours when I first started shooting, and the full got compressed like that too.

Edited to add that I think they purposely overfill to break in. I remember guys driving trucks on them to break them in…

A significant difference with our Ultralight of that size is that we use a fill that will not break down and compress like the white polystyrene beads. It also does not make the noise when squishing it around.

It is the same fill we use in our Triple S Pillow that I use as a glassing pad, because it doesn’t compress.

Edited to add that if someone wants us to adjust the amount of fill before, we can do that. Or, if it is filled too much we’ll work with you.

Some shooters like more fill than others. It is not unusual for us to accommodate requests.

We don’t have a lot of requests to adjust, but windgypsy makes me think about revisiting if we can.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

View attachment 666985

View attachment 666986

@hereinaz

Dumb question, I assume you use that as a rear back and apply pressure with your hand to shift the aim point of the rifle?

Dobermann

WKR
Dumb question, I assume you use that as a rear back and apply pressure with your hand to shift the aim point of the rifle?

I'll let Form answer for what he does, but in the meantime, you might find these articles of interest:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Correct. Hard/full bags are great from benches and perfectly set up positions, they are a heavy comprise in field positions and less than ideal surfaces.

Yes, ours is approximately the same size. I had a bag like yours when I first started shooting, and the full got compressed like that too.

Edited to add that I think they purposely overfill to break in. I remember guys driving trucks on them to break them in…

A significant difference with our Ultralight of that size is that we use a fill that will not break down and compress like the white polystyrene beads. It also does not make the noise when squishing it around.

It is the same fill we use in our Triple S Pillow that I use as a glassing pad, because it doesn’t compress.

Edited to add that if someone wants us to adjust the amount of fill before, we can do that. Or, if it is filled too much we’ll work with you.

Some shooters like more fill than others. It is not unusual for us to accommodate requests.

We don’t have a lot of requests to adjust, but windgypsy makes me think about revisiting if we can.
If we want a request like 2/3 full how should we let you know? Can I just pm you with order number?

atmat

WKR
Correct. Hard/full bags are great from benches and perfectly set up positions, they are a heavy comprise in field positions and less than ideal surfaces.
You should try @hereinaz bag. Everything I’ve tried from them has been great.

I know they’re making a 1oz bag and I’m excited to try that.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@TimberHunter this applies to our conversation about the difference between rear bags to reduce wobble in the field, and when/where one is favored over the other.

It’s why I answers like I did asking for more details from OP.

For your prone positions in the field on the shots where you have bipod and time and opportunity and extended ranges, the wedge bag is like the bench shots.

I agree with Form about bags in general usage. A floppy light bag you can quickly manipulate while controlling the rifle with the support hand reduces wobble to make the shot within wobble tolerances on game sized targets.

Based on my prior comments between form and me, I think Form is talking about the rear bag for the 95% of shots and 97% of hunters who aren’t doing the long range glassing and shots we discussed. And, I agree with him.

After our conversations, you had a specific use for the wedge rear bag cause you can get prone and take time to maximize the solidity of your position.

That being said, by reducing caliber and recoil and working on my form, I am able to use a floppy rear bag for my long range shots from prone much more effectively.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I made a separate post with pics of our current bags we offer for anyone interested.

@atmat I tagged you with more pics of the mini.F10FD940-AECF-489F-B828-84DE757D1903.jpeg

Attachments

• 9ACEDBC3-447B-4D38-8CC7-90A52F8C56FC.jpeg
    9ACEDBC3-447B-4D38-8CC7-90A52F8C56FC.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 6E3AABB9-1E2D-46F9-B2C2-C3305C7FB517.jpeg
    6E3AABB9-1E2D-46F9-B2C2-C3305C7FB517.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 43
  • 502BF234-364E-48BC-B419-B12231925D1E.jpeg
    502BF234-364E-48BC-B419-B12231925D1E.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 42
  • EAFC99ED-CEEB-4CAB-A84B-4737B1BB206B.jpeg
    EAFC99ED-CEEB-4CAB-A84B-4737B1BB206B.jpeg