Recommended low end glass?

Looking to get into west hunting within the next year. I’m young and gotta cut cost where i can and i’m looking what people think the best cheaper class out there is? Vortex has the crossfires and leupold has the bx-1’s. I’ve generally preferred leupold scopes, any opinions?

mthayr

WKR
Vortex Diamondback, but you'd do yourself a huge favor if you could swing doubling your price range. You'd get 10X the binos in the form of a pair of Kowa BD II XD's - CameralandNY will usually cut a Rokslider a break.

prm

WKR
Highly recommend you call Doug at Cameraland.

If you can get a deal on Vortex Viper 8x42 I thought those performed way, way above their price point.

Macintosh

WKR
Diamondbacks work but mine have poor clarity around the edge of the field of view. If it were my $ and cash was tight, Id spend that budget on a used pair of binos that when new cost 2-3x as much. the vipers mentioned above are noticeably better. Theres a lot of options in that price range. To me that’s money better spent.

nobody

WKR
Diamondback 10x50’s, or save an extra 6 months and buy a pair of Maven C.3 10x50’s. They’ll be about $350 but compete more with binos in the $800 range and will be a much better “long-ish” term investment.

My brother loves his leupold BX2’s, but I loathe them. I’ve never used a pair of binos with worse eyecups. You couldn’t gift me a pair of leupolds at any price level.

Go to a store, try EVERYTHING in your price range, and then buy the best. Ignore brand names and models and all that jazz, just buy what’s best optically for you.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Vortex Diamondback, but you'd do yourself a huge favor if you could swing doubling your price range. You'd get 10X the binos in the form of a pair of Kowa BD II XD's - CameralandNY will usually cut a Rokslider a break.
It is totally our pleasure to assist you to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I’d recommend saving more and at least doubling (preferably tripling) that amount. You won’t regret it. I have a 20ish year old pair of Leica 8x42’s that make me happy I “cried once” when I bought them.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re talking scopes, I’ve had great luck with Bushnell tactical 10x40s, which are somewhat frustrating due to MOA adjustments and a mildot reticle, but track and hold zero pretty well in my experience. (I’m selling one in the classifieds but I have several).

atmat

WKR
SWFA is the obvious choice for a scope.
They definitely were when you could get them. People are asking 2x new cost for used 6x now.

I still think the 6x is worth it, but it’s a bummer to see right now. I’ve got a few I picked up <$200 when the gettin’ was good.

KHNC

WKR
They definitely were when you could get them. People are asking 2x new cost for used 6x now.

I still think the 6x is worth it, but it’s a bummer to see right now. I’ve got a few I picked up <$200 when the gettin’ was good.
I have a 10x that ive been impressed with so far. They are easily available still in MOA.