Seekins Havak Slam

Matt5266

WKR
Definitely interested. Was just about to pull the trigger on either a Havak PH2 or the Element. I think I'll wait a bit now and see how this plays out...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d imagine we don’t have a price point yet? I’d be curious to see if this comes in under 3k.
I don’t see how it could when a basic havak element is 27-2800 dollars. The stocks on the standard rifle are nice but can’t be worth more than a few hundred dollars. If this new chassis is in line price wise with other high end chassis I’d bet it adds 1000-1500 dollars to the cost of a standard element.

There are two versions available, the higher-end build that they are currently taking orders for as well as a wider production model that is expected "later this year" and will come with a lower price point. Seekins has confirmed that this initial, higher-end model will be available through both their custom shop, as well as Scheels and other key distributors as well at some point. I don't know the price point here but that Guns and Ammo magazine referenced $5k back a bit.

The lower price point model that we should see more widely produced in the second half of the year is likely to be more in that $3-4k range but I don't know specifics there yet.

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
If it was closer to 3 id consider it, but at this point im more interested in just getting the PH2 and MAYBE replacing the stock with a chassis at some point down the line

To that point, they have also confirmed that the chasis will "eventually" be available aftermarket for folks looking to upgrade their PH2s and Elements. My guess is eventually may mean a while as they'll be very hot demand for full builds in this rifle i'm guessing..

Just saw the IG video posted earlier today & I was also seriously looking at getting Tikka 7prc in a rokstok. I agree with everyone else, if the price is around that $3k mark, I might have to go this route instead. Will say it's a hard pass at $5k though.

Just saw the IG video posted earlier today & I was also seriously looking at getting Tikka 7prc in a rokstok. I agree with everyone else, if the price is around that $3k mark, I might have to go this route instead. Will say it's a hard pass at $5k though.
For $5,000 someone could get quite a nice barreled action and put it in an MDT Hnt26 or XLR folding chassis of their preferred flavor. But maybe the forthcoming details will show something below that price point or at least validate why it would be priced that high.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For $5,000 someone could get quite a nice barreled action and put it in an MDT Hnt26 or XLR folding chassis of their preferred flavor. But maybe the forthcoming details will show something below that price point or at least validate why it would be priced that high.
The price dosen't seem that high to me. Those rifles are almost 2800.00 with the regular stocks. If the seekins chassis is comparably priced to an MDT or XLR then tack on another 1500.00 +/- and you are right there in the ball park. The seekins actions and barrels are very nice already.

What does this thing do better than the ph2/element stock beside fold and weigh a little less that gets people excited? I bet the standard stock’s grip and toe would be preferable to me in shooting function.

That said, it still looks more appealing to me than a hnt26 or xlr and less than a custom tikka in a rokstok. But I hardly ever carry a rifle on a pack where I’d benefit from a folder.

Matt5266

WKR
I really hope its reasonably priced for what it is. I hope the folder it a hit and not a miss, but I'm sure Seekins has thought it through..... @ Seekins please do some 20 inch barrels in this new model.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What does this thing do better than the ph2/element stock beside fold and weigh a little less that gets people excited? I bet the standard stock’s grip and toe would be preferable to me in shooting function.

That said, it still looks more appealing to me than a hnt26 or xlr and less than a custom tikka in a rokstok. But I hardly ever carry a rifle on a pack where I’d benefit from a folder.
Folding is huge. So much more compact for when you’re hiking around with it strapped to a backpack or putting it in a tent at night. To me that’s the only thing that makes a chassis worth it.

eltaco

WKR
That weight is nuts.

The current Seekins Element is already 5.5#.

Someone buying this has to only be looking at it since it’s a folding stock, otherwise seems the Element checks all of the same boxes.

khuber84

WKR
Butt stock of the folder has very little interface for rear bag support. Looks even less than a Hnt26. When shooting prone you want shoulder contact with buttstock only, bag forward of contact point. Will be really tough to achieve that with this setup. Little functional things sometimes get forgotten about when chasing ultralite status.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
The real differences I'm thinking over:

1. Folding - if you pack strapped to a bag or need the smaller footprint when travelling, that would be nice.
2. Thumb placement of trigger hand. I play with several chassis type rifles. Trigger pull position is usually all good...thumb wrap slows my bolt manipulation down though. A shelf helps on bolt manipulation but leaves my thumb off center.
3. I can get by without a full toe line for rear support in most cases...but prone I benefit from having one. Spending time shooting a Grayboe Trekker has made this obvious to me. Not a huge issue on placing the first shot if I support under the grip, but it makes it tougher to see impact and longer time for follow ups.

I didn't dig into it but based on a quick view the LOP and comb high don't appear to be adjustable on the fly. Not a big issue if only 1 person is using it and it will be lighter. If my wife or one of the kids are with me, those being adjustable on the fly is a plus...but add weight and complexity.

Everything is a trade off. It's great to have options. Price pending, I'd like to pick up a stock only to try on my Element.

5.4lbs with a folding chassis is impressive, there’s no way anything similar is going to touch that for weight. If it was closer to the price of the Element I’d probably buy one but for the price and my use case I’d rather just buy an element or PH2 (or both) and spend the rest on glass and ammo.

I really hope its reasonably priced for what it is. I hope the folder it a hit and not a miss, but I'm sure Seekins has thought it through..... @ Seekins please do some 20 inch barrels in this new model.

Seekins usually gets shit right, if it’s anything like the hinge on their HIT rifle it will be nice. That thing locks up solid and has zero play even in the folded position. It’s a pretty tight hinge, but that’s a trade off to get a solid hinge without a lot of bulk. The only other really solid hinge I’ve used is the AI and those hinges probably weigh close too .5lbs. Other than that most hinges tend to have some slop one place or another. The HNT26 hinge is good too for the weight and not floppy but I bet this chassis weighs less.

I’ve bought 3 Seekins rifles in the last few months and every one of them the build quality is absolutely excellent on and every last detail is extremely well thought out. Seekins builds excellent shit and when you look at what you get it’s a very good value.

I am as much of a Seekins fanboy as anyone, but damn that thing is ugly! Not saying I wouldn't have one, but I'd have to hide it so people didn't see it...lol. I am 90% a function over form guy, but that thing looks like some unholy union of both types of stock and has me rethinking that mindset. I jest mostly of course, but it wouldn't be first on my list from a looks perspective.

Matt5266

WKR
5.4lbs with a folding chassis is impressive, there’s no way anything similar is going to touch that for weight. If it was closer to the price of the Element I’d probably buy one but for the price and my use case I’d rather just buy an element or PH2 (or both) and spend the rest on glass and ammo.

Seekins usually gets shit right, if it’s anything like the hinge on their HIT rifle it will be nice. That thing locks up solid and has zero play even in the folded position. It’s a pretty tight hinge, but that’s a trade off to get a solid hinge without a lot of bulk. The only other really solid hinge I’ve used is the AI and those hinges probably weigh close too .5lbs. Other than that most hinges tend to have some slop one place or another. The HNT26 hinge is good too for the weight and not floppy but I bet this chassis weighs less.

I’ve bought 3 Seekins rifles in the last few months and every one of them the build quality is absolutely excellent on and every last detail is extremely well thought out. Seekins builds excellent shit and when you look at what you get it’s a very good value.
Definitely going to be my next purchase....just need to decide what model now. I know I wont make a "bad" choice.

Butt stock of the folder has very little interface for rear bag support. Looks even less than a Hnt26. When shooting prone you want shoulder contact with buttstock only, bag forward of contact point. Will be really tough to achieve that with this setup. Little functional things sometimes get forgotten about when chasing ultralite status.
I agree but from a glance it likely has an attachment point for a bag rider on the buttstock right before the recoil pad. At least it looks like it might. Now of course that's something that can catch on brush/clothing etc if so but it would address that issue.