Seekins Havak Slam

Folders are awesome but it’s not cheap to make folders that don’t suck and it’s even more expensive to make folders that don’t suck and are light. The ones that are available (MDT HNT26, XLR Element) cost twice what most people spend on an entire hunting rifle and as much as a lot of premium hunting rifles. So the market for them is just slim and most people aren’t willing to spend the money no matter how nice of a feature it is.
I'm with you there, it's catering to a very niche market that I hope expands in the coming years. Extremely weight-conscious hunters who also are open-minded enough to hunt with a chassis at all, and then add on the fact that most people just don't know how convenient good folders are.

I bought a folding W3 (4 pounds so not remotely the same) as mostly a match chassis but will also use it hunting so I called Stone Glacier to ask how they think I should carry the thing on my backpack. Turns out the guy who answered the phone hunts with a folding XLR chassis on his gun which I thought was just really cool. It's pretty sweet to see that there's a progressive minded (gear-wise) percentage of hunters and I hope it keeps slowly growing.

Wonder how it would compare with this?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ordered one from Eurooptic (7prc in mountain shadow) 10 days ago. Kiting it out with NF NSX 2.5-10 w/ warne mountain tech lows. should be an RCH over 7lbs field ready.
That will be a sweet setup. I just want them to start offering the slam chassis since I already have a havak element. Too bad theres virtually zero resale value of a havak stock.

That will be a sweet setup. I just want them to start offering the slam chassis since I already have a havak element. Too bad theres virtually zero resale value of a havak stock.
I recently called and asked about this. They are planning on it, but do not have a price point or release date. He said hopefully mid to end of year.

I asked them about getting the chassis only at the Sheep Show in Reno. They said the response has been so good for the slam they do not see them going out for 18 months at a price point of $1800. We shall see.

I asked them about getting the chassis only at the Sheep Show in Reno. They said the response has been so good for the slam they do not see them going out for 18 months at a price point of $1800. We shall see.
With that lead time and price I'd heavily consider asking LRI if they could just modify an MDT Hnt26 for a Seekins instead. I don't imagine much machining is needed.

With that lead time and price I'd heavily consider asking LRI if they could just modify an MDT Hnt26 for a Seekins instead. I don't imagine much machining is needed.
I do not know much about modifications but I do know the Element has a unique action since its an aluminum and stainless blend.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I do not know much about modifications but I do know the Element has a unique action since its an aluminum and stainless blend.
That should be less of an issue than making the basic shape fit into another chassis. If LRI could do a HNT26 for the Seekins that would be rad.

That should be less of an issue than making the basic shape fit into another chassis. If LRI could do a HNT26 for the Seekins that would be rad.
I don't have a Seekins or a Hnt26 but give Chad a call and ask. I imagine he's easily capable of doing it. Unsure about willingness but can't know until you ask.

Wonder how it would compare with this?
Is it just me or is this not the better value? Marginally heavier but getting a Proof Barrel. Anyone have any views on the element action versus Alamo’s in house action they use here?

Is it just me or is this not the better value? Marginally heavier but getting a Proof Barrel. Anyone have any views on the element action versus Alamo’s in house action they use here?
It's probably a great rifle so I would get the one you prefer. After my customer service experience with Seekins I am a fan boy. If Seekins makes what I am looking for that is what I will get.

idahodave

WKR
Not sure if a Proof barrel is "better" than a Seekins. If my life depending on picking one to shoot accurately, there are very, very few that are "better" than Seekins for accuracy. My experience indicates that Proof isn't one of them.

I don't have any disdain for Proof, but Seekins seems to be putting out the most consistently accurate guns available today and that usually starts with a good barrel.

They are great rifles shoot extremely well but think they are reaching too far with there new stock and the price tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbuck

FNG
Not sure if a Proof barrel is "better" than a Seekins. If my life depending on picking one to shoot accurately, there are very, very few that are "better" than Seekins for accuracy. My experience indicates that Proof isn't one of them.

I don't have any disdain for Proof, but Seekins seems to be putting out the most consistently accurate guns available today and that usually starts with a good barrel.

Not that it always matters for accuracy. But proof are cut rifles and seekins are button rifled. I have 2 seekins rifles and 4 proof barreled rifles. They all shoot fine.

I pulled the trigger here today with an order through a local FFL. Was a bit hesitant it’s too light to shot accurately at distance but figure with a can, scope, rings, arca rail and bipod, I should be good on weight!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I pulled the trigger here today with an order through a local FFL. Was a bit hesitant it’s too light to shot accurately at distance but figure with a can, scope, rings, arca rail and bipod, I should be good on weight!
My element is 5.5lbs bare but with a can and scope on it, it’s over 8lb.