Show me them tipis

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
DSCN0875.jpeg20210919_135253.jpg20210919_203920.jpg20211104_164359.jpg
img_20130504_204038_049-jpg.465945

Probably a silly question, but... If you're base camping next to the truck, is there any benefit to a Tipi style setup compared to a smaller sized wall tent?

I havr never used either but fully set on buying 1 of these setups as a self Xmas gift this year.

I assume setup, storage while traveling, and packability on the Tipi is much easier, but a smaller (8x8 or 10x10?) Wall tent would have more snow load and more room inside?

How would a Tipi hold up in the snow of an Idaho December if it snowed for 6-8 hours while you were away from camp?

Probably a silly question, but... If you're base camping next to the truck, is there any benefit to a Tipi style setup compared to a smaller sized wall tent?

I havr never used either but fully set on buying 1 of these setups as a self Xmas gift this year.

I assume setup, storage while traveling, and packability on the Tipi is much easier, but a smaller (8x8 or 10x10?) Wall tent would have more snow load and more room inside?

How would a Tipi hold up in the snow of an Idaho December if it snowed for 6-8 hours while you were away from camp?
Tipi is way lighther and easier to travel with. Snow slides right off the tipi if you've set it up correctly.
Throw in a stove and floor mat and you're ready to party.

Tipi is way lighther and easier to travel with. Snow slides right off the tipi if you've set it up correctly.
Throw in a stove and floor mat and you're ready to party.
Snow will slide off good enough the tipi would have no issues if I was away for 8 hours of hard snow fall? Thanks, by the way.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
These little tipis offer super quick setup and take down along with so little weight. That being said if trucking the majority of the time and late season a small wall tent is very tough to beat. A big stove to run all night if wanted versus a tipi stove to run hours at most. Big cots and durability. My little 8x10 can be setup by myself with fire running in 25 minutes and is good for two and no worries about snow. after season can get very good deals. I enjoy my tipi because it offers versatility and because I cannot pack my wall tent…my buddies same as mine will be in use next week🤙

Attachments

• 3570A9B7-5491-4115-866E-18CB490E2C08.png
    3570A9B7-5491-4115-866E-18CB490E2C08.png
    900.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 12395C0A-5B0E-4598-8F7D-EF2B7DD1583A.png
    12395C0A-5B0E-4598-8F7D-EF2B7DD1583A.png
    762.5 KB · Views: 87
How do you like this shelter?
I like it a lot. While the weather was good for this hunt, camping in the canyon bottoms gets quite chilly at night, so having the stove to warm up while dressing in the morning was great. As with all floorless shelters, you need to be aware of condensation. I was forced to pitch on ground/grass that had been recently rained on. Even in a climate as dry as Utah, I experienced quite a bit of moisture on the inside of the tent. I was able to manage it without issue, but I could easily imagine getting into trouble in a wetter climate.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I like it a lot. While the weather was good for this hunt, camping in the canyon bottoms gets quite chilly at night, so having the stove to warm up while dressing in the morning was great. As with all floorless shelters, you need to be aware of condensation. I was forced to pitch on ground/grass that had been recently rained on. Even in a climate as dry as Utah, I experienced quite a bit of moisture on the inside of the tent. I was able to manage it without issue, but I could easily imagine getting into trouble in a wetter climate.
That's good info. would you opt out of the tipi if you were going into wetter snowier conditions and only run this is in dry conditions? Do you think a borah bivy would work well for this shelter in wet conditions with a down bag?