Sitka Bino Bivy and 10x42 EL Range...Modify?

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. I bought Sitka bivy off of another member to try out. I've been using the S4 Lockdown for the last couple of years, and thought it would be wise to better protect my investment, over the ease of optics deployment the S4 Lockdown offers.
Well, the first thing I noticed was that I was going to ditch the winged eyecups on my EL Ranges, because there wasn't enough room. No big deal I thought, I can keep them in my pocket or something and put them back on when the time comes for a long glassing session.
Then I tried to get the binos out of the bivy as I would in the field. What a chore! The humps on the bottom of the binos along with the elastic mesh in the bivy make this difficult to do quietly, smoothly and without flailing your arms around. Obviously, something that is unacceptable when hunting.

So I am left with two options. Option 1 would be to just forget about the bivy, sell it to someone who could use it, and go back to the S4.

Option 2 would be to try and modify the Sitka bivy by cutting out the elastic mesh to see if would allow for a looser fit. For those of you using the Sitka bivy, has anyone tired this? I have a little concern as the elastic sort of keeps the binos in place when the bivy isn't zipped up, thus preventing them from flopping out and experiencing an expensive fall to the ground. I just don't want to ruin it if it doesn't work, and I decide to send it on down the line to someone else.

I really like to be able to use the Sitka bivy because the fit is nice, offers fully enclose protection, and hey, it matches my camo pattern, which we all know is fashionably important in the field!!!!

SethA

FNG
I did that exact thing with my Sitka bino bivy. I cut all the mesh out and had forgot it was even there to begin with. If the pack is completely unzipped and you bend over the binoculars can fall out but I leave mine zipped about a 1/3 of the way and haven't had any problems that way. My binos are vortex viper 10x42. Hope that helps.

littlebuf

Banned
I just got this body and a new pair of razor 10x42' s to go along with it. They fit fine with the front mesh but I'm thinking about cutting the top elastic out for a little easier access. Did you cut that strap out too Seth? Did it affect the shape/function at all?

OP
TheHardWay

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to know this as well. I'm thinking of cutting it out as well. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than being in the way. It seems that the back of the bivy is rigid enough to provide shape. When zipped up, I'd think the side would get pulled in just fine without the elastic.

Stid2677

WKR
On a side note, here is what I did on my ELs. I used some light weight nylon webbing and sewed this on the binos to make a light neck strap. I also use this strap as a "dummy cord" I unsnap my bino pouch and run the strap through. That way I can't drop them or have them fall out.

OP
TheHardWay

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
After stewing on it for a while, I went ahead and cut the mesh out. Voila, problem solved. I'm going to rig up some longer bungee cord to attach my binos to the bivy as cheap insurance in case them should fall out. I don't think they will, especially if I zip the sides up a little bit, but why take the risk? The cord that comes in the bivy would do the trick I'm sure, but I want it to be a little longer to offer tension free glassing like the S4 Lockdown.

Oh, and littlebuf, I'd start by cutting the mesh out first, and leaving the top elastic to see how it works for you. You can always cut it out later if needed, but for me, I was able to leave it in place without any hassle.

SethA

FNG
I left the top elastic in and use the bungee cord that was in there, I just use a "s" clip to connect the two, so it's easy to take them off if need be.

littlebuf

Banned
The mesh doesn't interfere with my razors at all so I think I'll leave it. The top elastic just seems to be unnecessary and a little cumbersome with gloves on. I too use the provided attachment for my binos with a quick connect for when I want them loose. All in all I really like the bivy, but can see how larger binos wouldn't work

whaletail

FNG
I cut mine out as well and I was very pleased with my system this year. The bino bivy fits my Leica 10x42 Ultravids very well.