Sleeping tips for the backcountry

I have pinpointed sleep as one of the key weak points in my game, separating me from making the most of my time in the mountains. I recently upgraded to a bigger pad and am going to try a sleep aid to help insure against restless nights.

What other tips and tricks do you guys have to help make sure you get a good nights sleep?

Brianb3

WKR
Advil PM
Sleep in my boxers
A good mountain pillow along with all my clothes stuffed in a sack
Wear a beanie
A warm bag
On my iPhone I have a white noise app w earphones

My SO cub keeps things toasty too but it’s an extra 2lbs but dry is happy

Rotate the same direction back and forth in my bag

Besides that it’s just miserable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR
I switched from an Xtherm to a comfort plus pad this year based on recommendations from guys on here and it’s helped. I take Benadryl and melatonin too. I still have trouble sleeping though.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Advil PM
Sleep in my boxers
A good mountain pillow along with all my clothes stuffed in a sack
Wear a beanie
A warm bag

My SO cub keeps things toasty too but it’s an extra 2lbs but dry is happy

Rotate the same direction back and forth in my bag

Besides that it’s just miserable

+1
CC.jpg

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Pillow makes the biggest difference for me. I use an ultralight inflatable pillow and a stuff-sacked puffy.

a pair of earplugs in case of rain or wind can be an advantage. keeping the mind from racing about the day past or the day to come is my biggest challenge. overall preparation and organization help me sleep soundly

Definitely a sleep aid (gel tabs), or if you are sore, sleep aid with Ibuprofen/Tylenol.

You said you got a bigger pad. Did you get a thicker pad? There’s a huge difference going from a 2 to 3” pad.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful with sleep supplements. I would definitely try at home before you hit the mountains. If I take melatonin, I have a hangover type feeling for the next day. I only took 3mg and it's happened to me every time. If I drink a sleep tea before bed, it helps me tremendously

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

OP
Definitely a sleep aid (gel tabs), or if you are sore, sleep aid with Ibuprofen/Tylenol.

You said you got a bigger pad. Did you get a thicker pad? There’s a huge difference going from a 2 to 3” pad.

I had a regular size qcore slx (thick and comfortable just small) i picked up a long wide comfort plus. Love it in the living room, definitely heavier, but excited to see how I like it on the mountain

OP
Be careful with sleep supplements. I would definitely try at home before you hit the mountains. If I take melatonin, I have a hangover type feeling for the next day. I only took 3mg and it's happened to me every time. If I drink a sleep tea before bed, it helps me tremendously

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Good call! Trying something new and going the CBD route, based off of a recommendation from a friend. I’m not fond of taking medication if any kind if I can avoid it. That being said I am right there with you, definitely trying it before I hit the mountain.

OP
a pair of earplugs in case of rain or wind can be an advantage. keeping the mind from racing about the day past or the day to come is my biggest challenge. overall preparation and organization help me sleep soundly

Definitely relate here, I sleep noticeably better when I’m just fishing or camping, but when I’m hunting or scouting it’s almost like I’m too excited to sleep. Earplugs could be a great edition at no weight penalty

TravisIN

WKR
Make sure your on level ground, and I love a pillow. I need to change my bag as I didnt enjoy a mummy bag.

This sometimes can be tricky where I’ve been going the last couple years. Seems like even the flattest spot still have a slope. Enough to where my pad is always sliding down on my tyvek. I put my pack at my feet to try and help that but it really didn’t much. I always have to get up and reposition everything. I’m going to a floored shelter next year to see if having the enclosed walls and no tyvek will help any. I have a pretty luxurious sleep system that is great when I’m on truly level ground, well at least level enough to keep me from slowly sliding down hill.

Going to try a ultralight cot this year. Slept on it at home and I think it should help. Those darn lightweight pads are so noisy and uncomfortable for a side sleeper like myself.

Couzklr

FNG
I'm usually so tired I could pass out anywhere. But depending on you type of hunting you are doing. If in back country maybe try a hammock with ultra light pillow. Maybe try half a benadryl. Sleep on level ground and try a nice ultra light sleeping pad with a ultra light pillow.