Stone Glacier bought by Vista Outdoors

schmalzy

WKR
Pumped for Kurt and the guys at SG. Hope production stays domestic. Still very happy with my SG pack and don’t wish I would have bought en something else. If everything does go downhill as has been predicted there are plenty of other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree I almost bought one over a Kifaru and am even happier now having chose Kifaru! Both great packs and stone glacier has some good guys running it but will be interesting to see what happens when they ramp up production and do less in Montana and more over seas .

So, if SG ramps up production, what does that tell you about SG's popularity over the "K-pack"?...

So, if SG ramps up production, what does that tell you about SG's popularity over the "K-pack"?...
It tells me the meateater crew wears them and they’ve had a good last few years ! They’re great they should be popular. Try them all use what you like.

GotDraw?

WKR
It amuses me how many folks here have narrow mindedly already decided that they won't buy SG anymore, when they don't even know yet how things will change or if production will move overseas... if quality will go downhill, etc.

This is what I know- Kurt built a company with fantastic product offerings, from what I can tell he always put quality and innovation first. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that his packs are phenomenal from a load carrying perspective and I've benchmarked them against two of the other best packs out there. My SG packs stands head and shoulders above the others I tried.

I've not tried his apparel, but plan to buy his pants this year.

Kurt sold SG, and as a former entrepreneur I congratulate him and I expect that his decision process also heavily considered all of the effort he put into building a brand based on quality and innovation. Rather than throwing him and SG under the bus, I am hopeful that ready access to expanded capital and infrastructure will also expand SG's quality offerings.

Time will tell, but I'll still be buying those SG pants and other gear until such time as SG proves to me I shouldn't. Because for now- SG has done everything to prove that I SHOULD be buying their gear.

JL

It tells me the meateater crew wears them and they’ve had a good last few years ! They’re great they should be popular. Try them all use what you like.

Yep, did a lot of research when I bought a "buy once, cry once" pack. I chose SG for obvious reasons:

1. Load sling
2. Designed to carry heavy loads (and bloody meat) on the frame and not in the bag.
3. Empty weight, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

TheTone

WKR
It amuses me how many folks here have narrow mindedly already decided that they won't buy SG anymore, when they don't even know yet how things will change or if production will move overseas... if quality will go downhill, etc.

This is what I know- Kurt built a company with fantastic product offerings, from what I can tell he always put quality and innovation first. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that his packs are phenomenal from a load carrying perspective and I've benchmarked them against two of the other best packs out there. My SG packs stands head and shoulders above the others I tried.

Kurt sold SG, and as a former entrepreneur I congratulate him and I expect that his decision process also heavily considered all of the effort he put into building a brand based on quality and innovation. Rather than throwing him and SG under the bus, I am hopeful that ready access to expanded capital and infrastructure will also expand SG's quality offerings.

Time will tell, but I'll still be buying those SG pants and other gear until such time as SG proves to me I shouldn't. Because for now- SG has done everything to prove that I SHOULD be buying their gear.

JL
Very well said! At this point not a thing has changed and certainly anything in stock now is same as it ever was.

Yep, did a lot of research when I bought a "buy once, cry once" pack. I chose SG for obvious reasons:

1. Load sling
2. Designed to carry heavy loads (and bloody meat) on the frame and not in the bag.
3. Empty weight, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.
Yeah they do have a slicker load shelf system which I was liking after using a meat shelf a lot on my mystery ranch. But I did find it super easy, quick, and clean to pack out a deer in my Kifaru by lining the inside of my bag with a contractor trash bag and packed out 4 quarters, all the good cuts, and a full bone in neck, plus horns with zero mess or clean up after . Compared to a meat shelf where I usually have to take the bag off and spray it or wash it and then the frame usually keeps some blood on it awhile . I still had room for my extra clothes and gear to sit on top without getting bloody!

JL
I totally agree and it’s good for them and hopefully everyone . But I will say since mystery ranch has done more overseas and ramped up production to put their packs in scheels and all over the quality has gone down in my opinion . I had a pack from 2016 right as they did the change and it was bombproof and tough ! The new ones look very similar but there are slight changes and would be curious to see how the last over 5-10 hard seasons. They’re also able to mark down their packs a lot for guides and outfitters which tells me their being made at a cheaper cost with cheaper labor .

TheTone

WKR
Yeah they do have a slicker load shelf system which I was liking after using a meat shelf a lot on my mystery ranch. But I did find it super easy, quick, and clean to pack out a deer in my Kifaru by lining the inside of my bag with a contractor trash bag and packed out 4 quarters, all the good cuts, and a full bone in neck, plus horns with zero mess or clean up after . Compared to a meat shelf where I usually have to take the bag off and spray it or wash it and then the frame usually keeps some blood on it awhile . I still had room for my extra clothes and gear to sit on top without getting bloody!
I do the same with a load sling and contractor bag. Very little cleaning

I do the same with a load sling and contractor bag. Very little cleaning
Yah before I’d forget or get lazy and not have one but yeah I’d do the same for packing off the frame now. Especially if you’re coming out with your camp or lots of gear.

Also put all the meat or whatever in contractor bags, and then inside a cloth game bag like a Caribou bag so no bloody mess to clean up either.

Being able to loosen the bag from the frame and placing the meat between the frame and bag keeps you from having to rearrange internal gear to make room for meat.

Only a fool would place loose meat not bagged inside or outside of a pack bag.

BXB77

FNG
Vista Outdoors owns a bunch of outdoors and shooting sports companies, many of which were, are, and will continue to be made in the USA. They strongly support the 2A.

Not every corporation is evil.

“Not every corporation is evil” This is so true. It’s amazing how many people talk shit about corporations, but their entire life savings is invested in the stock market via a 401k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG is also building a large new production facility on West end of Bozeman slated to be completed in spring 2022. From the articles they are staying in MT for production and sales.

2ski

WKR
SG is also building a large new production facility on West end of Bozeman slated to be completed in spring 2022. From the articles they are staying in MT for production and sales.
Where at in Bozeman? Like west side where FHF used to be? Off the airport exit in that commercial area? Just curious where it's going.

2ski

WKR
Reading his post, he uses the word "employees" frequently. I wonder how much of this is seeing the current employee market, especially in Bozeman, and wanting to bring in an influx of capital and ability to pay employees better. A bigger footprint means more $ coming in which means you can pay your employees more. So maybe they can buy houses where the median price is pushing $700k.

Where at in Bozeman? Like west side where FHF used to be? Off the airport exit in that commercial area? Just curious where it's going.
IIRC the Chronicle article said it was off of Love Lane. Im guessing in that area next to where ABC/ Titan rentals was ? Maybe Kurt can verify location.

Kelleyss

FNG
Can't wait to see these in Cabelas and Bass Pro🙄 Quantity over quality now. Good for Racicot, bad for us. Good thing I just bought a new frame from them.