Stone Glacier's Grumman Goose Down Jacket Review

Haven’t used the Sitka but if you’re willing to take the weight penalty might wanna just consider the LPP. That seems to get great reviews from guys on here is around the same weight

Has anyone tried the new Sitka Kelvin Hoody? It has 133gr of synthetic insulation, weighs 23oz, and had 27D fabric. I guess I’m starting to lean towards if it’s as warm as say the SG Grumman why not run that. For 11oz weight penalty you have more durable, warm when wet, and ability to to bake base layer dry.

Funny you ask that because I actually picked one up this year and used it for early archery elk. Disclaimer: I get very warm while moving but while stationary I get very cold fairly easily. I’m definitely no white tail warrior.
That being said, it is much warmer than an Uncompahgre but also bulkier and slightly heavier. The outer material is a rip stop material that is fairly loud and not very soft. Crinkly is the word that comes to mind. Honestly it almost feels cheap the way it crinkles but it’s probably because of the tougher face fabric. The interior is the same as the outer material, which I dislike. Comfort wise, an Uncompahgre is MUCH softer and more comfortable to wear. I’m not sure why they used a ripstop material for the interior but they did. If I were to liken it to anything, both the inside and outside fabric feel like a light rain jacket material. The cuffs are a loose elastic which doesnt secure tightly around the wrists. The jacket itself runs very big. I wear an XL in all stuff Sitka but sized down to a large because the torso was massively oversized and the arms were parachutes. Length comes down just below belt line so that’s similar to the rest of their tops. Hood isn’t great. It fits weird and is very tight around the neck when the jacket is zipped up. The only saving grace of this jacket is how warm it is. I’m sure it’s the warmest synthetic jacket on the market and personally I believe 95% of its value is in the insulation as the rest of the jacket feels dirt cheap. It maintains loft well and compresses decently. I don’t roll it up when I pack it. I stuff the corners of my pack with the jacket and use it to fill voids so I can pack more stuff on top. All rolled up it is probably the size of a soccer ball, maybe slightly bigger. If there were a comparable synthetic jacket that would be just as warm I would grab that but I’m not aware of one. For me, I can sit for 14 hours with a base layer, Sawtooth Jacket, and Klamath hoody underneath and just a pair of pants with no base layer. Mind you, totally static with no hiking involved. But I’m sort of a puss when it comes to being cold so take it with a grain of sand. With the Uncompahgre I would need at least one or two more layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would choose a synthetic jacket with Climasheild over a jacket with Primaloft if I was keeping it long term. Climasheld seems to last forever. Primaloft seems to lose loft after a few years. They are very similar in warmth but you will see most jackets with Primaloft have baffles which compress the insulation making it less effective.

I would choose a synthetic jacket with Climasheild over a jacket with Primaloft if I was keeping it long term. Climasheld seems to last forever. Primaloft seems to lose loft after a few years. They are very similar in warmth but you will see most jackets with Primaloft have baffles which compress the insulation making it less effective.

What’s a good jacket with Climashield? I’d replace my Kelvin if I could find something comparable warmth wise.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The two I have used are the Kifaru LPP and Nunatak PCT jacket.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What’s a good jacket with Climashield? I’d replace my Kelvin if I could find something comparable warmth wise.

Nunatak if you want a truly custom spec jacket. They'll make it however you want it. Full zip, pullover, different levels of Apex in body and sleeves, different color choices, multicam is their only camo color I believe. You can add sleeve length, length to the back, handwarmer pocket, hood or no hood. Downside is, you gotta order it and wait. It's a custom shop. They'll also do whatever kind of sleep system you want too, either down or synthetic, just like their jackets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The two I have used are the Kifaru LPP and Nunatak PCT jacket.

How warm is the LPP? I read a post here a while back stating it’s only good down to around 40 degrees with a fleece underneath. Anything you could compare it to?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How warm is the LPP? I read a post here a while back stating it’s only good down to around 40 degrees with a fleece underneath. Anything you could compare it to?

It uses 3.6oz of Climashiled. It would be similar to the Kelvin Hoody.

Got a chance to use the SG Grumman this weekend on a hunt temps about 35 so not real cold but cold when stationary. I had a fleece underneath and stayed comfortable and warm the whole time. It’s crazy light and packs insanely small it’s hard to find in your pack. The material is thin 15d but surprisingly seems tough. I had a little snag and couldn’t even find a mark on the fabric.

It uses 3.6oz of Climashiled. It would be similar to the Kelvin Hoody.

Ryan I have read the LPP is warm but 3.6oz equals 102 grams so unless apex climashield is a warmer insulation seems the Sitka should be warmer.
Also, since I haven’t tried the LPP how does the warmth compare to the Grumman? I thought the Grumman was significantly warmer then the FL uncomphare.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
This is the hard part. I don’t think the Grumman is much warmer than the FL. I would say LPP is warmer than the Grumman. I usually have a aerowool baselayer and a fleece pullover of some kind on underneath.

I don’t see that Kelvin hoody being much warmer. Hell the GWS hoody is not much warmer IMO.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nunatak if you want a truly custom spec jacket. They'll make it however you want it. Full zip, pullover, different levels of Apex in body and sleeves, different color choices, multicam is their only camo color I believe. You can add sleeve length, length to the back, handwarmer pocket, hood or no hood. Downside is, you gotta order it and wait. It's a custom shop. They'll also do whatever kind of sleep system you want too, either down or synthetic, just like their jackets.

Have you ordered one of these? Looks like a pretty solid option!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Have you ordered one of these? Looks like a pretty solid option!
Not yet, beck in the spring when I was getting ready to, they shut down taking orders to get caught up. This time of year is the time to get on their build list.

This is the hard part. I don’t think the Grumman is much warmer than the FL. I would say LPP is warmer than the Grumman. I usually have a aerowool baselayer and a fleece pullover of some kind on underneath.

I don’t see that Kelvin hoody being much warmer. Hell the GWS hoody is not much warmer IMO.

Man that is kinda crazy, how each of us can have difference experiences with same jackets. I decided to order a LPP just to compare warmth with my Grumman. I will just wear it around house if I don't like it I will just sent it back.

Kotaman

WKR
I have about 15 Puffy's and the Sitka Kelvin WS is the warmest I own. I notice a pretty good difference between the WS and the Gruman, LP, FL Brooks, Uncompagre, KUIU SD Pro (and Ultra), Gahr, and all other Sitka Puffy's.

But, it should be, as it is quite a bit heavier. When I need a WARM puffy in a wet environment, I bring the WS. Early season this year I took the Brooks, for everything else, the Gahr and Gruman.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have about 15 Puffy's and the Sitka Kelvin WS is the warmest I own. I notice a pretty good difference between the WS and the Gruman, LP, FL Brooks, Uncompagre, KUIU SD Pro (and Ultra), Gahr, and all other Sitka Puffy's.

But, it should be, as it is quite a bit heavier. When I need a WARM puffy in a wet environment, I bring the WS. Early season this year I took the Brooks, for everything else, the Gahr and Gruman.

Again this is why it’s difficult. Last November I use both the LPP pullover and the GWS jacket. Can’t say I noticed a huge difference. I did notice a difference in warmth using the Chamberlin.

Last edited:
Got a chance to use the SG Grumman this weekend on a hunt temps about 35 so not real cold but cold when stationary. I had a fleece underneath and stayed comfortable and warm the whole time. It’s crazy light and packs insanely small it’s hard to find in your pack. The material is thin 15d but surprisingly seems tough. I had a little snag and couldn’t even find a mark on the fabric.

I am not gonna lie i'm pretty impressed with this Pertex fabric for how thin and light it is. I did a water test last night and just rain my sink faucet over the face fabric and I even let water just sit on the jacket and it never soaked through. Now I only let it sit there for maybe a minute but the point is the DWR and water resistance of the Pertex is the best ive seen at that fabric weight. I am now convinced that the puffy would not wet out in a light rain or at least give you time to seek shelter or get your rain jacket on. This Grumman is really starting to make me happy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am not gonna lie i'm pretty impressed with this Pertex fabric for how thin and light it is. I did a water test last night and just rain my sink faucet over the face fabric and I even let water just sit on the jacket and it never soaked through. Now I only let it sit there for maybe a minute but the point is the DWR and water resistance of the Pertex is the best ive seen at that fabric weight. I am now convinced that the puffy would not wet out in a light rain or at least give you time to seek shelter or get your rain jacket on. This Grumman is really starting to make me happy.
Rab makes a puffy with Pertex that has woven into the fabric baffles i.e. no stitch holes. They make several with Pertex, pretty sure the woven one is. The hood on my alpha Freak pullover is Pertex. Noisy but completely windproof. I pair it with my Ghar so I can have a hood.