Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
If you feel like the suppressor is throwing off the balance - honestly look into the growing number of titanium options. 6-8 oz on the end of the gun is 100 percent worth what I gain - no need for hearing protection, can shoot an animal in a herd and the herd doesn’t move, one shot doesn’t blow out all the animals in the valley, follow up shots if the first one isn’t on the mark, the ability to confirm zero midway through a hunt without blowing out the animals in the area.

I could go on - but if you have a hunting suppressor over 10 oz, you need a new one. The heavier ones absolutely suck, and if you are sticking a can on a 24-26” barrel you might as well be carrying a musket.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
If you feel like the suppressor is throwing off the balance - honestly look into the growing number of titanium options. 6-8 oz on the end of the gun is 100 percent worth what I gain - no need for hearing protection, can shoot an animal in a herd and the herd doesn’t move, one shot doesn’t blow out all the animals in the valley, follow up shots if the first one isn’t on the mark, the ability to confirm zero midway through a hunt without blowing out the animals in the area.

I could go on - but if you have a hunting suppressor over 10 oz, you need a new one. The heavier ones absolutely suck, and if you are sticking a can on a 24-26” barrel you might as well be carrying a musket.

Everything about this is spot on. But I don’t think a hunting can has to be less than 10 oz. My CGS is just under 16oz and about 9.25 inches long. It’s large yes, but even on a 22” barrel I had no problems cruising around through thick brush and timber. Balance on the rifles it’s been on hasn’t felt off either. Any suppressor is better than no suppressor in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajsomp is giving good advice. I put a SiCo hybrid on a 24” barrel 30-06 and while I love the sound suppression (not hearing safe), the recoil reduction with 180 grain feels more like a 30-30 Winchester 94.
The 18 oz weight feels like moving a battleship turret as weight is magnified by being on the end of that long barrel. It’s very hard to hold steady unless supported by bipod.

I’m currently looking at lighter cans. I took short PVC tube added some wet sand sealing it with duct tape, then rubber band attached to the end of the barrel and work your way down in weight from there. 10 oz seems good for me By the kitchen scale.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
For the inexperienced, when an animal hunches up or mule kicks, you can tell he was hit DESPITE not being able to see the entrance wound or exact location where the bullet penetrated. That is seeing a "deer get hit" but not seeing the bullet entrance wound.

atmat

WKR
For the inexperienced, when an animal hunches up or mule kicks, you can tell he was hit DESPITE not being able to see the entrance wound or exact location where the bullet penetrated. That is seeing a "deer get hit" but not seeing the bullet entrance wound.
Hahah dude. That’s actually called “seeing a deer react,” not “spotting your shots/spotting impact.”

JGRaider

WKR
Hahah dude. That’s actually called “seeing a deer react,” not “spotting your shots/spotting impact.”
Yep, an animal "hunching up" when hit is called a gut shot where I'm from., and yes, it's quite obviously a reaction.

Do y’all not have anything better to do than bicker anonymously on the internet.

Get some of that big dik energy and move on.
I don’t see it as bickering, a suppressor is a significant cost. Expensive and time consuming to acquire, hard to liquidate. Getting the wrong can is an expensive mistake. Making the decision is just as hard.
So people should hear opinions, but please base them in fact, and better, actual experience, including experience that led you to conclude you didn’t need a can. No whining.

I love my cans, and won’t buy another rifle that cannot be threaded. But I don’t begrudge people who say “meh” to cans either. I will ask they stay further away from me when shooting and frankly, hate getting my hair parted by someone with a muzzle brake on some magnum next lane over when I know my can would tame that nicely.

The muzzle brake is the place where my tolerance for unsuppressed disappears. If you run one, be cognizant you can affect peoples hearing next lanes over At the range. IMO a brake used in proximity to others is the best argument for a suppressor I can think of.

Slightly different angle…
A couple things that may not have been mentioned yet:

1) Not only do you have the report (bang) of the rifle to contend with in terms of countermeasures to avoid hearing loss, there is also the blast wave to contend with. Muzzle break will amplify this effect to those exposed to the blast wave.

EarPro will NOT help you here, as the blast wave is conducted by bone and transmitted to your ear bones, causing permanent damage. I’ve found a suppressor, subjectively speaking, DOES help mitigate the force of the blast wave, but I’ve never seen anyone (including PEW research) address this topic. This is why I will get away from any muzzle brake.

2) I read in several threads elsewhere over the years that suppressors are popular in grizzly country, as the Grizz learned to associate a rifle report with easy meal. I have never hunted in grizzly country, wondering if anyone has direct experience?

wyosam

WKR
Slightly different angle…
A couple things that may not have been mentioned yet:

1) Not only do you have the report (bang) of the rifle to contend with in terms of countermeasures to avoid hearing loss, there is also the blast wave to contend with. Muzzle break will amplify this effect to those exposed to the blast wave.

EarPro will NOT help you here, as the blast wave is conducted by bone and transmitted to your ear bones, causing permanent damage. I’ve found a suppressor, subjectively speaking, DOES help mitigate the force of the blast wave, but I’ve never seen anyone (including PEW research) address this topic. This is why I will get away from any muzzle brake.

2) I read in several threads elsewhere over the years that suppressors are popular in grizzly country, as the Grizz learned to associate a rifle report with easy meal. I have never hunted in grizzly country, wondering if anyone has direct experience?

Agreed on brakes. I’d love to see ranges start saying no to them. Take the recoil, or buy a can. I moved away from western Wyoming, in thick grizzly country a couple years ago. Don’t personally know anyone who hunts with a can, and have never actually seen one in the field. Of course my goal is generally to get away from people and don’t spend much time looking at other hunters. Same in AK, though I do see a fair number of cans at ranges in both places, so I assume they are hunting with them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk