Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

WRO

WKR
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
Nah, not revolvers unfortunately. But a suppressed .22 handgun is lights out fun.

How are you/your doctor coming to the conclusion that the hearing loss is coming from one activity that causes damage versus another?

Probably the same way mine is. I had significant hearing loss in my 20s related primarily to work- years of worn out heavy equipment, jackhammers, though there was some unprotected shooting when I was a kid. That’s when the formal hearing tests began with annual checkups. Changed careers, continued the hearing tests and still do. I’ve been shooting thousands of rounds a year for quite some time now, but my hearing tests have been stable for years. Tinnitus will never go away, but it isn’t getting worse, either. 99% of my shots are double protected (quality plugs + muffs). Hunting shots are single protected, though I’ve missed a few. Won’t shoot brakes, will generally pack and move/leave if one sets up near me at the range that I’m getting the blast from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have some valid points.The extra weight is tough especially on mountain hunts.
But to me that is really the only disadvantage.

I have been hunting suppressed the last 5 years. The suppressor has helped get me get follow up shots on elk at longer ranges and not startled the game.

It has also helped me not lose my hearing while I’m in the field.

My wife shot a mule deer at 550 yards one season. The first shot was over the deers back. I was able to see the hit and adjust the scope. The deer stood still and we were able to adjust the scope and the next shot was right in the heart.

The suppressor is an invaluable tool in my opinion and I will pack the extra weight.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
For the literacy-challenged.
Once again, the voice of inexperience speaks. I now primarily shoot a 6.5 PRC 140g Berger. 3 deer killed this season. One dropped in its tracks. The other two were heart shots that didn't run 50 yds(yes, I said RUN even though a suppressor was used). Both were lethal kills obviously but despite SEEING both deer get hit, I could not see bullet impact location with that bullet and anyone who claims they can, is flat-out lying and inexperienced. One of them was also witnessed by a partner on binos and he couldn't see impact location either. But carry on flyfisherman.

Not true. Both muleys were heart shot and travelled less than 50 yds. One left a minimal blood trail and the other left none. Both mule-kicked so I knew they were likely heart shot but bullet impact location was not seen on either one. Some lighter bullets just don't create the same terminal ballistics that can be seen on impact as a heavier one does and terrain, time of flight and environmental factors dictate whether flight path can be seen.
I've seen plenty of impacts in my hunting career and while I don't have a thousand kills under my belt with this new caliber/bullet combo, my initial impression is that the terminal ballistics of that bullet does not create the kind of impact that some of my heavier combos do. If the bullet penetrates before beginning to expand, the impact location is difficult to see. The destruction of the vitals does the job though, which is all that matters. I know this is beyond your comprehension and experience though.
I’ve actually shot a 6.5prc plenty, and I think it’s a great cartridge. But it doesn’t gain me much over a 6creed or 6.5creed in terms of terminal velocity to as far as I’m comfortable shooting animals. And it came with a recoil cost that made it difficult for me to spot shots from certain field positions — so I moved on.

I’m not being a jerk when I say you should consider smaller if you can’t spot shots. It’s an integral part of the shooting process.

Edit: realized a typo after seeing I was quoted
This coming from someone who thinks the 6.5 Creed is comparable to the PRC with 200 fps less MV. Personally, I've shot larger calibers and loads and have easily seen impacts with those combinations so it's you who can't handle the higher recoil.

fwafwow

WKR
Once again, the voice of inexperience speaks. I now primarily shoot a 6.5 PRC 140g Berger. 3 deer killed this season. One dropped in its tracks. The other two were heart shots that didn't run 50 yds(yes, I said RUN even though a suppressor was used). Both were lethal kills obviously but despite SEEING both deer get hit,

I could not see bullet impact location with that bullet and anyone who claims they can, is flat-out lying and inexperienced.
I’m sure it’s my reading comprehension, but those bold statements seem contradictory.

atmat

WKR
so it's you who can't handle the higher recoil.
You say this like it’s some new revelation or criticism, when I literally said that in my post about myself already. I struggled to see point of impact so I moved down to a less recoil-inducing cartridge. It sounds like you struggle to see POI as well, so I’d recommend you move down as well.

fwafwow

WKR
Am I correct @atmat when you say you can spot impacts you can spot the round in flight? Maybe it’s being read by him too literally?

atmat

WKR
Am I correct @atmat when you say you can spot impacts you can spot the round in flight? Maybe it’s being read by him too literally?
My goal is to spot where the bullet impacts the target (or surrounding area) through the scope. Spotting trace/flight path is generally outside my skill set except on a suppressed subsonic 22 lol

6.5x284

WKR
How are you/your doctor coming to the conclusion that the hearing loss is coming from one activity that causes damage versus another?
Your doctors and audiologists can tell from your audiogram if it's acute noise hearing loss vs chronic noise hearing loss vs something totally different by what frequency and shape of the loss curve. Generally that sharp drop-off in the 4k range peaking at 5k, and climbing again to your baseline by 6k is that acute noise induced loss curve.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Your doctors and audiologists can tell from your audiogram if it's acute noise hearing loss vs chronic noise hearing loss vs something totally different by what frequency and shape of the loss curve. Generally that sharp drop-off in the 4k range peaking at 5k, and climbing again to your baseline by 6k is that acute noise induced loss curve.
I can confirm this as I have this distinct dip in my hearing tests, my audiologists have all picked it out easy.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
OP: used that suppressor a good bit, and it's been great, but I'm using a 20" barrel, so it isn't huge. Does change a bit of balance. Absolutely helps around animals and is shockingly different in sound report in the open mountains.

This thread: a few folks need to smashed by the ban hammer. The absolute vitriol non-contribution needs purged from this site. I'm not sure what level of that crosses the formal ban line, but I'd ready to see some accounts go away.

"Reading comprehension" being used as an insult is so common place anymore it is approaching 4th grade mom joke level.

atmat

WKR
Honestly that’s really cool, thanks for explaining it!