Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
You keep saying “inexperience”, however I will submit that if you or your spotter cannot spot the impacts of a 130-150 grain bullet traveling 2300-2900 fps at impact on a whitetail-sized target, this then it isn’t us who is inexperienced.

And before you ask, yes, I have spotted and heard every bullet impact on every big game animal I have killed in the last 10 years, since I have started hunting suppressed.
And, no, I don’t fly fish, I cast giant baits for Northerns and Muskys.
Not true. Both muleys were heart shot and travelled less than 50 yds. One left a minimal blood trail and the other left none. Both mule-kicked so I knew they were likely heart shot but bullet impact location was not seen on either one. Some lighter bullets just don't create the same terminal ballistics that can be seen on impact as a heavier one does and terrain, time of flight and environmental factors dictate whether flight path can be seen.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you get so defensive, rude and condescending when people try to engage you in discussion??? You do this in every single thread you post in. You insult people, call their characters into question, accuse them of not being able to read and act combative in general. It’s very unpleasant. This is a DISCUSSION forum, not Dave Cs insult forum.
I respond in kind to the responses to my posts. This is hypocrisy at its best. Might wanna take a good look at your own posts sometime. This place gets more and more like FB every day. Soon, we'll need safe spaces for people who can't handle the truth or being called out for incorrect information.

fwafwow

WKR
I respond in kind to the responses to my posts. This is hypocrisy at its best. Might wanna take a good look at your own posts sometime. This place gets more and more like FB every day. Soon, we'll need safe spaces for people who can't handle the truth or being called out for incorrect information.
This is defensive. We all make mistakes, but very few of us ever admit to them, especially on the internet. I took a quick look at some of your posts and there does seem to be more combativeness than the average. And yes, I've got my own problems (many) with tone in my posts, so I'm taking this as a reminder that I need to do better too.

atmat

WKR
Not true. Both muleys were heart shot and travelled less than 50 yds. One left a minimal blood trail and the other left none. Both mule-kicked so I knew they were likely heart shot but bullet impact location was not seen on either one. Some lighter bullets just don't create the same terminal ballistics that can be seen on impact as a heavier one does and terrain, time of flight and environmental factors dictate whether flight path can be seen.
So you can spot your impacts with other cartridges, just not the 6.5prc?

If so, you should consider moving to one of those cartridges. Spotting your shots is immensely valuable.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You’re just an incredibly rude person. Every single one of your posts is basically insulting people. You seem to take everything as an insult and you clearly aren’t here for discussions. You constantly go into attack mode at every opportunity. You need to chill, go get some exercise or something, I can only imagine your blood pressure is through the roof.

Last edited:

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried to justify a suppressor but just can’t. I primarily bow or handgun (wish I could suppress that) Hunt. Shooting a rifle every other year just doesn’t seem worth it. And I really don’t mow down a bunch of critters in one sitting.

I hunted many a times with family and friends but never got muzzle blasted, no sure how that would happen. If it did last time we would shoot anything together. Also today, because I use a revolver, putting in ear plugs is muscle memory. You only tend to forget them once.

Too each his own but for me money best spent else where. And I have regular ENT visits. I have hearing loss attributed to other things but nothing points firearms.

atmat

WKR
I’ve tried to justify a suppressor but just can’t. I primarily bow or handgun (wish I could suppress that) Hunt. Shooting a rifle every other year just doesn’t seem worth it. And I really don’t mow down a bunch of critters in one sitting.

I hunted many a times with family and friends but never got muzzle blasted, no sure how that would happen. If it did last time we would shoot anything together. Also today, because I use a revolver, putting in ear plugs is muscle memory. You only tend to forget them once.

Too each his own but for me money best spent else where. And I have regular ENT visits. I have hearing loss attributed to other things but nothing points firearms.
You can suppress handguns.

So you already have hearing loss but don’t think it has anything to do with firearms?

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
So you can spot your impacts with other cartridges, just not the 6.5prc?

If so, you should consider moving to one of those cartridges. Spotting your shots is immensely valuable.

Edit: typo
Laughable. No thanks. I'll stick with the caliber and gun that I'm confident in making consistent heart shots. Perhaps you should try it some time.

atmat

WKR
Laughable. No thanks. I'll stick with the caliber and gun that I'm confident in making consistent heart shots. Perhaps you should try it some time.
I’ve actually shot a 6.5prc plenty, and I think it’s a great cartridge. But it doesn’t gain me much over a 6creed or 6.5creed in terms of terminal velocity to as far as I’m comfortable shooting animals. And it came with a recoil cost that made it difficult for me to spot shots from certain field positions — so I moved on.

I’m not being a jerk when I say you should consider smaller if you can’t spot shots. It’s an integral part of the shooting process.

Edit: realized a typo after seeing I was quoted

Last edited:

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve actually shot a 6prc plenty, and I think it’s a great cartridge. But it doesn’t gain me much over a 6creed or 6.5creed in terms of terminal velocity to as far as I’m comfortable shooting animals. And it came with a recoil cost that made it difficult for me to spot shots from certain field positions — so I moved on.

I’m not being a jerk when I say you should consider smaller if you can’t spot shots. It’s an integral part of the shooting process.
Once again, showing reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Read post #243 again until you understand it.
And your first paragraph proves that you don't know what you're talking about.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Once again, showing reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Read post #243 again until you understand it.
And there you go. Insulting somebody because they like to shoot a different cartridge than you. There’s no discussion with you, it’s people bouncing ideas around and you insulting them.

I think I’m gonna buy a scythe to help with the balance thing. I do agree it can get frustrating and especially with OP shooting an already barrel heavy upr

fwafwow

WKR
I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt so I re-read post 243. What part of that is relevant to the post by @atmat? I see you posted that anyone who says shots can be spotted is a liar and inexperienced. Do you mean at a particular distance (which I didn’t see in that post)?

BjornF16

WKR
I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt so I re-read post 243. What part of that is relevant to the post by @atmat? I see you posted that anyone who says shots can be spotted is a liar and inexperienced. Do you mean at a particular distance (which I didn’t see in that post)?
I think it is more of his writing abilities…I re-read it as well and fail to see the relevance.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve actually shot a 6.5prc plenty, and I think it’s a great cartridge. But it doesn’t gain me much over a 6creed or 6.5creed in terms of terminal velocity to as far as I’m comfortable shooting animals. And it came with a recoil cost that made it difficult for me to spot shots from certain field positions — so I moved on.

Edit: realized a typo after seeing I was quoted
This is absolutely true, I ended up going with another 6.5 creedmoor rather than the prc on the rifle I just got and have absolutely no regrets. It’s is very little recoil with my TBAC ultra 7 on it.

There is someone in this thread that doesn't know what he is talking about, but it isn't atmat.

You keep saying it is impossible to see bullet impacts in the crease of an animal (heart shot area). I, and others here, continue to tell you that isn't true. I personally spotted many of my own and plenty of other peoples shots ( in binos and spotters) that were shot in the same area, with guns ranging from .243s to .338WMs.

You keep doing you, but just because you can't do something, doesn't mean it can't be done.