Swarovski EL - Overhyped?

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing a massive optics overhaul right now, and I’ve got a new set of binos on my radar before the end of the year. I’ve always heard Swarovski was the only way to go for top end performance, but seeing how many EL’s cycle through the classifieds has got me rethinking that. For those of you that have been through a pair of EL’s or NL Pures, why did you sell, and where did you go from there?

4th_point

WKR
For those of you that have been through a pair of EL’s or NL Pures, why did you sell, and where did you go from there?
I have never owned EL but have compared them different times to other makes/models ever since they were introduced.

I actually prefer the Vortex UHD to the current EL and was surprised that a fairly well known dealer stated the same. He said that the UHD is superior optically in his opinion, but he cannot change customers' brand loyalty and simply doesn't bother.

If I told you his name, you would probably know who it is, and he's a hunter and not just a salesman. Sells both brands and doesn't care what people buy. We agreed that the biggest issue with the UHD is the build quality. Obviously the AK design adds bulk compared to the SP design too.

I still really like the old non-SV 8x32 EL and currently use the last version of SLC so am not anti-Swaro. I'm just posting all this to state that just because you buy an EL or NL it does not mean it's the best for everyone, optically or otherwise.

Good luck shopping! It's a lot of fun figuring out what you like.

Matt G.

WKR
Absolutely love mine. However I think a lot of people chase the best or like to tinker. I am curious about the nls or zeiss sfs...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

MojaveJim

FNG
Still have my EL's since 2004, also have new EL range TA's. Some guys seem to flip gear, I don't think you can judge quality based on the classifieds.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Definitely not overhyped IMO. Been hunting with mine for 5 years or so. Compared to many others including NLs. I liked the ergos of the NLs. Didn’t think glass was worth upgrade (still think about it though).

I was also impressed with UHDs. Only turn off for me was size and weight.

nobody

WKR
The EL's and NL's are both fantastic optics. That said, I generally think the word "Swaro" is to high-end binos what Kleenex is to all forms of bath tissue. "Hey Bob pass me those kleenex" even though the box says Kroger on the side. I don't personally believe it's because Swaro is actually the best, it's just the most well known, and that's why all other binos are compared against it is because everybody recognizes the brand and what they are.

Swaro has name recognition, it has status tied to it. I'm convinced 100000% that if we could put the optics of all the EL/NL/SF/Noctovid/Meopro/UHD into the same "shell" and force people to look through them all and make an objective choice for what their favorite was, I think many of the Swaro purists would end up elsewhere. That's not to say they don't make great glass, but I think most people do just what you're describing. They want "the best" so they just go buy Swaro and don't even look at anything else because such-and-such guide services they hunted with was using them and said they were best, or X forum online said it's the top of the line.

I'm also in the camp of Vortex Razor UHD over the EL's. My Dad is the same way. We prefer the truer color palette through the UHD's and the superior (to our eyes) low light performance gains. But it took some true soul searching and admittance to get to that point.

Bottom line, there are TONS of fantastic optics out there. You would regret NOT looking at the other high end options on the market, and would potentially find something your eyes like better than the EL's or NL's.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of people buy them for a special draw hunt and sell after the season when the credit card stacks up! Also a lot of EL sold for NL. They are both fantastic. My personal ranking is: NL>Zeiss SF>EL>Noctovid.

Agree with all this but I’d say:

NL>Zeiss SF=EL=Noctovid

I was surprised how much more I enjoyed the view of my 12 NLs compared to my ELs and Noctovids.

Keep in mind any of those listed are ultra excellent and nothing could improve on them where they would not be awesome for the rest of your hunting days. None of those NEED to be upgraded but that won’t stop guys.

Dwest

FNG
The EL is fine optic. Is it overhype? Yes and No. It represents a class of binoculars are among the best. And when you get to a certain level of performance you just have a hard time rising above those benchmarks. I sold my EL’s and now am running Zeiss SFL 8x40’s. I wanted a lighter high quality optic. And the Zeiss definitely checks those boxes. And it’s to my eyes a premium binocular. It’s plenty bright, very similar to the EL’s and for my use (hunting) it is all I need. I can see deer way past sunset that your naked eye can in no way see. If I hunted at night I would be running an 8x56. The problem with all of these premium optics is the price. Nowadays secret have been shared and competition has introduced optics that can get you seriously close to some of the premium offerings at a much lower cost. I have a Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56 rifle scope that cost $3200. And it’s a fine scope. But I have a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 that is lighter, has a better smaller illuminated dot and is so close in low light brightness (I’ve compared), and cost over 4 times less. Glass is made by Meopta in the Trijicon Accupoint. So there is your bargain for sure! A scope that basically does what the Swarovski does, (shoots deer in low light) and dos it for way less. I guess if you are brand loyal it matters to only buy a particular optic but like I said competition is fierce and it can pay to shop.

WildBoose

FNG
EL's have been the standard for a long time. Do the NL's outperform them? Maybe...but not by enough of a margin to make me cough up the extra money. I wanted a pair of Swaros for a long time, finally saved up enough to get them, my 10x42 ELs have been nothing less than amazing

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
The EL's and NL's are both fantastic optics. That said, I generally think the word "Swaro" is to high-end binos what Kleenex is to all forms of bath tissue. "Hey Bob pass me those kleenex" even though the box says Kroger on the side. I don't personally believe it's because Swaro is actually the best, it's just the most well known, and that's why all other binos are compared against it is because everybody recognizes the brand and what they are.

Swaro has name recognition, it has status tied to it. I'm convinced 100000% that if we could put the optics of all the EL/NL/SF/Noctovid/Meopro/UHD into the same "shell" and force people to look through them all and make an objective choice for what their favorite was, I think many of the Swaro purists would end up elsewhere. That's not to say they don't make great glass, but I think most people do just what you're describing. They want "the best" so they just go buy Swaro and don't even look at anything else because such-and-such guide services they hunted with was using them and said they were best, or X forum online said it's the top of the line.

I'm also in the camp of Vortex Razor UHD over the EL's. My Dad is the same way. We prefer the truer color palette through the UHD's and the superior (to our eyes) low light performance gains. But it took some true soul searching and admittance to get to that point.

Bottom line, there are TONS of fantastic optics out there. You would regret NOT looking at the other high end options on the market, and would potentially find something your eyes like better than the EL's or NL's.
X2

It’s like kennetrek boots. For years that was the high end boot most stores carried so when people wanted the “best” they bought kenntreks. Now stores are carrying many other high end brands that are in the same category. Swaros are amazing but I preferred and bought victory sfs

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
EL's have been the standard for a long time. Do the NL's outperform them? Maybe...but not by enough of a margin to make me cough up the extra money. I wanted a pair of Swaros for a long time, finally saved up enough to get them, my 10x42 ELs have been nothing less than amazing
Same impression here, it was a joy glassing through my EL 10x42's last week on a hunt and I'm in no rush to upgrade.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I was all set to buy the NL, but then I found a pair of used almost mint EL for $1,500 less than the NL, couldn't pass it up.

I’m more likely to forget my rifle than my ELs when I go hunting. I ponied up for mine in 2004/5. My hunting buddies have been chasing the “Almost as good as ELs” routine for 20 years buying one set of binos after the other. If I buy other set of binos before I die I will upgrade to a newer model of ELs and keep on rolling.

rclouse79

WKR
I have looked through a couple pairs from different hunting buddies. I thought they were nice, by I didn’t get a strong compulsion to go drop a couple grand on them.

The ELs are most definitely not overhyped IMO. I would rate them as the second best pair of hunting bins you can own. They are not overall better than the NLs but do have better glare control and seem to be more rugged. I’ve owned nearly every alpha glass and the ELs are always the benchmark. Also, some people may sell to say they have the best (NLs) or not like the fully flat fov.