Talk me out of 300 WSM

jjjones7

FNG
It’s very efficient. Go for it and don’t look back. You can also run shorter barrel lengths with not a lot of performance penalty. I run a 21” barrel with an omega 300 and I push 200 grainers at 2850. It hammers

jimh406

WKR
I’m just guessing that monos are bad if you don’t worry about normal hunting ranges when your target bullet choice would simply blow up. I’m not telling you what your hunting range should be, but for most people, monos are fine and target bullets are not.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’m just guessing that monos are bad if you don’t worry about normal hunting ranges when your target bullet choice would simply blow up. I’m not telling you what your hunting range should be, but for most people, monos are fine and target bullets are not.
Depends on the Match bullet. I would shoot anything in NA, but big bears with a 215gr Berger from 0 to 1000 yards.

grifmXC

FNG
Why never shoot mono's? I live in a free state now, but a relative who will also use the rifle is high level state water management in a non-free state, his prediction is the lead hunting ban will make it's way across the US now that most major manufacturers are creating high quality monos. We will be using it in non free state to hunt as well.

Which is why the velocity requirement, Barnes 168 recommends 2K FPS for minimum expansion but 2200 is reported to get petals about twice as far open. I wouldn't mind using bonded or partition style bullets as well if not for the lead free requirements, both legally and for human consumption.
Yes the 1500 number does come from the online. I have very little hunting experience so this is why I ask, what is wrong with the 1500 number? I was told that quartering away/tougher/imperfect shots into shoulder etc the minimum energy will help guarantee a humane kill.

It’s been a while (~2 year) since I talked with barnes but I was specifically asking about the 168ttsx, what they told me was that the 168 was actually the first Bullet they made with the LRX design and afterwards they decided to create a separate product line. According to the guy I spoke to the min expansion velocity for the 168gr 308 was 1500fps but he also acknowledged that wasn’t the expansion you see in the advertising. For that he said to add 200-300 fps over the min. I haven’t shot into gel or anything to test what he said but based off that, and assuming they haven’t changed the design, you should have no issues with expansion of the 168s as long as you stay above 1800fps.

Also for reference I was told that the min expansion velocities for other 308 bullets were 1800fps for the 130/165s and 1900 for the 150s. I didn’t ask about other at the time because I was working with the 308.

Best of luck

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
300 wsm may not be king, but its like the masked vigilante who's also an expert ninja detective... smart, efficient, and holds its own against Superman. It may not be an actual superhero in terms of powers, but it holds its own... its the hero that Gotham deserves.
I like this description, nice job!

My spin on the 300 WSM is slightly different. IMO, the 300 WSM is the Goldilocks of the one gun do all cartridges. It's not to big and it's not to small, it's just right.

fatbacks

WKR
I don't think the 300 WSM is going anywhere. I have another one in the works with Travis at TS Customs. Very encouraging to see ADG start making brass for it.

My biggest complaint was the price of Nosler and Norma brass for 300 WSM. It is ok, but not worth what they charge for it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, I am used to loading for my 7mm08 and haven't seen a single bonded bullet available to me, the monometals are the only premium hunting bullets i've been able to find so I have been leaning towards that when searching but www it's cray how much more 30 cal stuff is available. I will start crunching numbers in ballistic tables with the ABLR. Another reason I'm thinking of going bigger is to fill a gap instead of duplicate the role my 7mm08 already (hopes to) fill: medium game with lighter recoil.

Thanks for your help!
Your 7mm08 will easily kill elk out to 500. If you just WANT another rifle, nothing wrong with that at all. 300WSM will kill just as well as any other 30cal cartridge at your chosen ranges.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on the Match bullet. I would shoot anything in NA, but big bears with a 215gr Berger from 0 to 1000 yards.
Just not an OTM? Is that the one you had ice pick on you? I've had VLDs do that, hence my reluctance to ever shoot another Berger. I just know you guys love em.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I had to choose 1 30 cal to own it would be a WSM. Great choice for the OP's application IMO.

JakeSCH

WKR
Go for it! It will do everything you need it to.

If ADG made 300 WSM a couple years ago I would own one. Instead I went with 300 WM because I could get my hands on a lot of the ADG brass.

madcalfe

WKR
ill echo what everyone else is saying here. I've owned 3 300wsm in the last 10 years my current one is a custom 300wsm with a 20" tube pushing 180's at 2925fps. There super easy to load for. The only other cartridge i've been interested in is a 7SS

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
ill echo what everyone else is saying here. I've owned 3 300wsm in the last 10 years my current one is a custom 300wsm with a 20" tube pushing 180's at 2925fps. There super easy to load for. The only other cartridge i've been interested in is a 7SS
What powder are you using? I have a 20” on the way and was planning on loading 180s

NCmountainhunter

Lil-Rokslider
300 WSM is a great round. Flat shooting, hard hitting. Barrel life would be worth taking a look at. But, who can afford to wear a barrel out these days!

I like my 300wsm also like my 300wm.
My wsm is a savage ultralight shooting 178 absolute hammers at 3035fps
Go for it!
You can always load it down to be a hot 308 if you want.