Talk me out of 300 WSM

My hunting partner shoots a browning speed with factory 165 ttsx and it hammers elk. I’d buy one if I didn’t have a 300 Winchester already. Best wishes

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I think you're going to be disappointed in the 300 wsm. It really doesn't make much difference in ability to kill an elk over your 7-08.
I'm thinking that we're I starting over, I'd likely choose a 6.8 Western (basically a fast twist 270 wsm) or a 300 PRC ( another fast twist short action magnum) as my big game / hunt everything rifle.
I live in and hunt North Idaho, been using the same rifle for elk since '88 I believe. The finish on the walnut is gone again, it's on its second Leopold. It's a .338 WM, but with modern bullets it's not necessary. It's familiar to me, and accurate. It is very effective though.
I have a few others I could choose, and truthfully most stay home. I hunt when it's deer and vermin season, with a 257 Roberts, 223, or often a 25-06 if I'm going where long shots are possible.
When it's Elk season it's usually the old reliable, but I've honestly seen elk just as dead with a good quarter bore bullet in the boiler room.
Bullet choice matters way more than the delivery system, if equally accurate. Pick a bullet that performs the best for the way you use them , not what all the experts on the internet tell you to choose. Monos aren't my favorite for anything I use currently.
With a fast twist barrel in one of these two choices you won't be limited by your firearm at all. You would have much broader availability in choices for weight and construction. Every manufacturer has several choices in .308"!

I have a Tikka, and a custom Defiance Model 7 length anTi, both in 300wsm. I am super pleased with the performance, reloading for the cartridge has been a pleasure, and effects on game excellent. I love 300WM, but I was looking to get as compact as possible with near WM performance, and my custom gets there easily. The Tikka isn't quite as compact, but its very accurate. If I'd bought the Tikka before having my custom built, I probably would have just called it good at the Tikka.

1. WSM has better powders available.
  2. Less Recoil.
  3. 10 grains less powder will get you within about 70fps of 300 PRC typically.
  4. Short Action
  5. Get WSM unless rifle is only for hunting and you don't plan to shoot it often.
  6. Get 300 PRC if you want "the best" choice for hunting bullets/performance and cost is no issue. ( you can always load lower for recoil and get WSM performance ).
  7. I went through the same thing with 6.5 Creed vs 6.5 PRC and got the PRC due to #6. Some days I wish I had a 6.5 Creed so I could use same powders as my '06 and 270win; but would still get the PRC again.
  8. Just get a 280AI, I know you want one. It is everyone's one true regret when buying a 6.5 or 300 anything.

Solid plan.
If the monos are what you want to shoot they tend to need a 1 in 10 or maybe 1 in 9.5 might be good if you go over 180 but I wouldn't do that because of the reduction of velocity.

B23

WKR
With the high BC bullets like the Berger 200.20X, Hornady 208 ELD-M, or Berger 215, can you get the 225-230 grainers running fast enough to ballistically outperform the 200-215's in a 300 WSM to necessitate anything faster than a 10tw?

With the high BC bullets like the Berger 200.20X, Hornady 208 ELD-M, or Berger 215, can you get the 225-230 grainers running fast enough to ballistically outperform the 200-215's in a 300 WSM?
No, but the heavies still work great if you have them. 230's are my favorite 30 cal bullet in anything that can get them going fast "enough" to use, I like 2800 FPS MV as a minimum.

Sled

WKR
How heavy do you want in a 22'' WSM? A 10 twist will handle 230's just fine, I've shot a few thousand of them. Mono's are a different story.
I use a different SG calculator but this one is online.

just because they don't keyhole paper it doesn't mean they are stable.

OP
H
Yeah maybe a 9.5 - the issue is some of the hunting might happen nearer sea level in coastal states with lead free requirements.