Texas school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while we wait for a clear timeline of events, I wonder if any of you have suggestions about who we should approach in our communities to ask about preventing events like these? Like should it be local PD, sheriff, school administrators, mayor, etc???

I live in a small town so it's pretty easy to find and talk to everyone. Does any LE guys on here or school teachers/officials have any suggestions as to what type of questions I should ask? Any recommendations on research documents I should look up and educate myself with?

I don't like to approach busy people with problems unless I already have an idea of what the solutions are. It's too easy to get brushed aside if I'm not prepared with information.

Thanks for any info you guys can share!

norcan

FNG
I can it sounds like they made entry into a separate part of the school. Not the classroom in question. Try again
Yeah there’s probably nothing they could have done in that hour.

Funny how they don’t seem to have a problem gaining entry whenever the teenager they’re busting in on is unarmed, though…

Bobbyboe

WKR
The Police in my neck of the woods are trained to go direct to threat. I wasn’t there obviously, but it makes the sick thinking of kids bleeding to death waiting to be rescued. I’ll reserve ultimate judgement for when I hear what actually happened.

I can’t even imagine the emotional trauma every survivor will have for life. So very sad!

If they can’t get into the room they can’t kill the guy, I don’t carry any breaching tools on my person and limited tools in my patrol truck.
My point is it took time to get the keys, it took time to get the shield, the door slow them down. Did this all take too long, absolutely. Did they possibly dick this up, very well could be.
It doesn’t take an hour to get a key. It doesn’t take an hour to get breaching tools from the local FD. What does take time is not having the balls to do the job they were hired to do, and waiting on the guy who had them to show up. Watching the videos of the local police dept holding parents back is rather sickening. Those officers are quite frankly a disgrace to their badge and community. Isn’t there like 12 minutes from the truck wreck to him walking into the school, thru and unlocked door. There’s so many things that went wrong here it’s sickening. But yeah, they didn’t have keys….

I find it odd that in my area, we’ve found a way to have an SRO in every school, in several counties. And we’re not talking 1-3 schools in each county. Our taxes aren’t outrageous, it’s pretty evident by all the transplants. It can be done, if people are willing to start taking some of this seriously.

Bobbyboe

WKR
So while we wait for a clear timeline of events, I wonder if any of you have suggestions about who we should approach in our communities to ask about preventing events like these? Like should it be local PD, sheriff, school administrators, mayor, etc???

I live in a small town so it's pretty easy to find and talk to everyone. Does any LE guys on here or school teachers/officials have any suggestions as to what type of questions I should ask? Any recommendations on research documents I should look up and educate myself with?

I don't like to approach busy people with problems unless I already have an idea of what the solutions are. It's too easy to get brushed aside if I'm not prepared with information.

The school board would be where I’d start. Our schools receive active shooter training, both teachers and students. The Police several times a year place strangers in the school to see how long it takes staff to address and report them. All rooms have locks inside to secure students inside the room. It’s not perfect and I’d prefer more, but it’s a darn good start.

Perfect world would be SRO’s in every school. Won’t happen though.

I was in a private school that had panic buttons. When pushed all doors would shut and lock.

BjornF16

WKR
So much for armed professionals engaging him before entering school.

All those arguments about armed teachers being worthless just went out the window.

12 minutes…outside shooting according to latest DPS timeline.

No excuse to abandon those kids because allegedly all the killing had already occurred.

There was at least one 10 year old girl who responded to police telling kids to shout out if they needed help…she was shot for her call for help (and that wasn’t in the first four minutes).

How many kids could have received medical attention and survived?

There were survivors hiding in that classroom…the boys had the sense not to respond to police but rather stay quiet.

I’m disgusted

If they can’t get into the room they can’t kill the guy, I don’t carry any breaching tools on my person and limited tools in my patrol truck.
My point is it took time to get the keys, it took time to get the shield, the door slow them down. Did this all take too long, absolutely. Did they possibly dick this up, very well could be.
I know better than to jump to conclusions based on media reports. I’ll reserve any further comments about the response till an official report is out.

ODB

WKR

We are still asking how to prevent the what, not the why.

It has to start at the why. All else is pissing up a rope.

NB7

WKR
Shooting through windows could work it depends on a lot of things, A lot easier said than done.
I wouldn’t get too hung up on the P D not having a key. I am part of one of the few police departments that I know of that has building keys to the schools. But I agree I think most should.
Right. All of our deputies have access cards to all of the schools' exterior doors, but once inside, interior locked doors are going to create a whole other problem. We just don't have all those keys, and there are tons of them and they're not all keyed alike. And you're also right about breaching doors. Good luck to anyone out there who thinks they're going to easily breach an outward swinging steel door in a steel frame. Even with a halogen it's not going to be easy.

NB7

WKR
And if it's found that the officers on scene didn't take action as fast as they could have, and things are as bad as some of these posts are saying about them, then I've got nothing for them either. BUT!!!, all I'm saying is there's an awful lot of rush to judgement when the known facts are still very unclear. Too much prejudging going on

norcan

FNG
Right. All of our deputies have access cards to all of the schools' exterior doors, but once inside, interior locked doors are going to create a whole other problem. We just don't have all those keys, and there are tons of them and they're not all keyed alike. And you're also right about breaching doors. Good luck to anyone out there who thinks they're going to easily breach an outward swinging steel door in a steel frame. Even with a halogen it's not going to be easy.
How much trouble do you think they would have had busting down the door if there was a kid smoking a joint in there instead?

BjornF16

WKR
For you patriots out there with Republican senators...best start communicating with them to resist the democrat trap being laid.

Everyone else should just go back to sleep

How much trouble do you think they would have had busting down the door if there was a kid smoking a joint in there instead?
Just wondering, are you a US citizen? Seems you posted a while back you were in Norway. Just curious if you could give us some helpful tips how this would have been handled over there. Might be helpful to hear how other countries handle things

Reactions: NB7

norcan

FNG
Just wondering, are you a US citizen? Seems you posted a while back you were in Norway. Just curious if you could give us some helpful tips how this would have been handled over there. Might be helpful to hear how other countries handle things
I can assure you that Norwegian cops are just as capable of cowardice as American ones are. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.