The cartridge for the next 30 years….

There are hundreds of discussions about this cartridge vs that cartridge. There are new cartridges coming out every year it seems. But if you were going to buy one heirloom type rifle for the rest of your hunting days, what would it be chambered in? This would be for elk, deer, maybe a moose or bear scattered in the mix.

jhm2023

WKR
If I could only have one rifle/cartridge to suit all of my needs, which is a ridiculous thought, I think I would lean towards a .338 win mag in a M70, given I live in Alaska. If for some weird reason I moved back to the lesser 48, I'd lean towards a 7 rem mag with a correctly throated and twisted barrel possibly in a Tikka action or just the custom Tikka build 7 PRC I currently use.

Mojave

WKR
I am not sure where my next 30 years will be spent. My next 3 will be in Europe.

So .......

I am currently shooting a 243, 308, 10,3x68 RWS, 7x57 and a 9,3x64.

Presuming I end up back home in the west. If I had to choose one it would be the 308.

But if I was buying a new rifle, I'd pick the 7mm PRC in a 700 clone built similar to a Gunwerks lightweight mountain rifle.

TN2shot07

WKR
I love my 7-08 and am looking forward to my 280 ackley but I think you’d be hard pressed to go wrong with a 270, 308, 30-06 or 300 win with your consideration. Hornady is on a roll right now with the PRC’s but there’s a trail of failed cartridges that lead to them. I’d take my chance with something that has already endured some time.