The do it all self-defense pistol

go_deep

WKR
If you were going to buy one pistol for self-defense from in your home, to in the woods for the lower 48, what would be your your caliber and action choice?

Glock 20. You can never kill a home invader too dead. And 10mm is perfect for defense of any predator in the lower 48. 15+1 mag capacity helps if you’re not a great shot as well. My buddy and I hunt in griz country in Montana and both switched from wheel guns in .44 to 10mm for the extra round capacity, just in case. I find I am much more accurate with my G20 as well. He also brought his to AK for our caribou hunt and we were glad to have it along with our bear fence with the amount of griz we had around camp at all times.

Polymer-framed 9mm is the best bet. Size, capacity, grip angle, and red dot or fixed irons are your main options. All modern pistols are damn good today. If concealed carry isn't one of the roles, go full-size. They're better in every way except carrying.

Don't fall into the 10mm (or .45 or .40) trap. You won't use it on a charging grizzly. Get a 9mm, shoot it often, and know that you likely won't ever have to use it, either. But if you do, it'll be second nature.

Find the pistol that fits you best. That might be Glock, could be S&W, or maybe it's Walther or Shadow Systems or 200 other options. My choice for what you describe is a Glock 48 M.O.S. with a Holosun EPS Carry. It's thin, reliable, and large enough to shoot well. Lastly, I don't want to carry more than 10 rounds, so the capacity is no issue.

Good luck!

I bought a Glock 19 for this purpose. Afterwards, I shot a buddy's Canik and found it to be a gun that I prefer.

I still have the Glock, but if I did it again, I would buy the Canik.

def90

WKR
Whichever one you shoot the best.

Some guns will just naturally point and shoot better than others and that varies from person to person. Different hand shapes and sizes vs different grip shapes, angles, sizes and so on.

Go to a range that rents a wide variety of handguns and shoot them all. You will find that you shoot some way better than others.

I wanted to hate the Glock, but in the end it was the only handgun out of a 15 or so that I tried that I shot as well as my Browning HiPower so I bought one.