The do it all self-defense pistol

You're always going to give something up going with just one. Firepower, weight, shootablity: choose two. Personally I have multiple, but if I had to choose only one I would take my Sig 220 in 45acp, simply because I shoot it the best.

Beendare

WKR
One pistol, do it all? Depends on the purpose.

The G20 will do it all even in extreme cases, OK for home defense but its going to print if you are using it as a carry weapon

A home defense weapon really needs to have a light…again bulky to carry. Metal frame 1911’ are tack drivers…and they work for home defense but heavy.

The slim small frame semi autos like the SW Shield are awesome to carry, good shooters, decent home defense choice but these are best in 9mm so lacking in G bear country.

The G 19 is the swiss army knife of pistols- love the Gen 5’s…but Glocks have a 1,000 rd learning curve.

jpmulk

WKR
I would challenge those on here who are set on a 10mm for g bears. And in doing so limiting what gun you think you need.

Im in the camp that believes a 9mm is fine for bear. Hopefully I’m not proven wrong by getting eaten. But Joel Turner recently had a great article on this that affirmed my thoughts I already had: a pistol round is a pistol round. It has no hydrostatic shock like a rifle. So at the end of the day, you are telling that bear that you bite back.

Pick a gun that you can shoot well. Bullet choice, firearm familiarity, and practice are all way more important than caliber. Caliber is pretty close to last on the list of importance.

Food for thought.

Glock 17, 19, or the 19x which is a combo of both (a 17 frame with a 19 slide). Stick with a common caliber where ammo will be available when society falls. 9mm is a NATO caliber so ammo will usually be readily available, and with today's carry ammo, the 9mm is quite effective. See reply #41 for picture. 19X comes in coyote brown color, if you want it in black the Glock model 45 is the same gun, different color. 19X is my favorite EDC loaded with Winchester Ranger 127 +P+

Last edited:

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
P365xl somehow shoots as good as a full-sized pistol but its so small you'll actually carry it. It's exceptional

Then something 10mm for the woods

I don't carry on a regular basis... So that colors my pick.

.357 DA/SA revolver with a 4" barrel. Lots of ammo options, always goes bang.

I prefer a stainless S&W variety.

Last edited:
Glock 19 is a great answer... I think ide slightly lean towards the Walther PDP or one of my CZ's over a Glock, but Glock will always win the support and compatibility game.

I slightly prefer hammer fired - but a compact (~4") handgun would be my pick for a do all. That said, I generally carry smaller for CC and larger for duty/qual (security team), but the 19 is one of the best all arounders - good at everything, but not really great at anything.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Calcoyote

FNG
With regard to the original post: I am sorry but my needs differ enough so that there is not any one pistol that will take care of it all. I have a Glock 17 (9mm) that is a true combat pistol. I carry it when I am in Black Bear and Mountain Lion country. I use Underwood 147g +p hard cast. I have a Glock 26 for when I need something more compact. I have a Sig P365 9mm that I use for my every day carry for personal defense. I have a Glock 20 (10mm) that I carry when I am in the Rocky Mountain states where there might be Grizzly. Every pistol has its purpose. No one pistol do it all in my opinion.