THE Perfect hunting arrow

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I like heavier arrows for is for whitetails, actually. Closer shots means the trajectory isn't as important, and the heavy arrows quiet down the bow a lot more. That being said, my favorite arrow setup so far has been around 11gpp from a 54# bow.

MADD BEAR

FNG
Went RW 4-fletch with my own wild turkey 3” shield fletching. Lots of field testing this fall, they stood up to rain, snow, and sleet up here in Canada.

The total arrow weight is 555grains.
The point/insert/collar weight is 200 grains.

Shooting nockturnal nocks…easton axis trad 340’s. 31” carbon-to-carbon.

Ironwill collars and Bheads.

Ill have a video out in the near future showing me get a deer with them.

Great thread. I find the perfect arrow needs to be tailored to the Bowman’s ACTUAL draw length and weight of their bow at their actual draw weight, to find a sweet spot for a good arrow in the 8-11 grains per pound. Everyone is sized and styled differently, so my arrow may be perfect for me, but if I were to give it to someone with a shorter DL and less poundage it would be no good to them.

Attachments

• DBB67EE5-52BE-4B26-8AB4-2B7424C8733E.jpeg
    DBB67EE5-52BE-4B26-8AB4-2B7424C8733E.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 26
  • A423A2D9-E81C-406E-9E94-47A71CA2F677.jpeg
    A423A2D9-E81C-406E-9E94-47A71CA2F677.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 24

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
Since this got pulled back up;

Im still looking for that combo that puts me at 35y PO.

My Stalker riser with the Selenghas I currently have set at 52#. I need 300’s to tune with my 31” DL. ( it’s worth noting that I finally measured my draw length accurately and I was surprised to find out it was about an inch longer than I thought)

Longer arrow gives me shorter PO but I don’t want to go too low in tip weight. Im right around a 32” arrow….and still have a 40yd + PO. I have a high anchor….and I do sometimes shoot a fixed crawl but am trying to solve this with the arrow itself.

I might try arrow tubes to bump up arrow weight…still playing.
Might be worth trying some long footings on a longer arrow. Stiffens your spine and adds more mass up front.

GLB

WKR

My Stalker riser with the Selenghas I currently have set at 52#. I need 300’s to tune with my 31” DL. ( it’s worth noting that I finally measured my draw length accurately and I was surprised to find out it was about an inch longer than I thought)

Longer arrow gives me shorter PO but I don’t want to go too low in tip weight. Im right around a 32” arrow….and still have a 40yd + PO. I have a high anchor….and I do sometimes shoot a fixed crawl but am trying to solve this with the arrow itself.

Slow that thing down! 😁 seriously with your draw length you could shoot a lighter poundage bow. Probably 40-45 lbs and 11 grns per inch will get you closer. Maybe that’s why I like the longbows (Slower) Shooting 50 lbs with 11-11.5 grains per inch plus about 3”inches longer than my draw length gets me a 25-30 yard PO depending on which LB.
I really like a 25y PO. For deer size I hold at bottom of the chest at 20 yds and top of shoulders at 30.

GLB

WKR
Yep you are limited from going much longer. There are some manufacturers making arrows 34” that would help but may have to step up in spine.

Did a quick check, Easton’s Axis in 260 spine comes in 34”. You might can go heavier and longer to get that PO down some.

Last edited:

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider

I have a question for you. What is the benefit of having a 35yd PO (not being an ass, just curious) That’s about what I have now(not intentionally) but I have to hold about 20” low at 20yds. Seems pretty low for the range I’d most likely shoot.

Secondly for the group.. My current arrow setup is 600 spine cut to about 28.5” with about 220 total up front. My bareshaft is a touch stiff(slight tail right flight) but seems to always fly straight overall. However my fletched shafts seem to actually impact slightly left of my bareshaft when I don’t have an absolutely perfect release. What do you guys think? I know the answer is just shoot better, but is there a way to maybe shoot a slightly weaker shaft to be more forgiving?

ETA: Shooting a 17” Satori with 28” uukha 45lb medium limbs.. draw length 26.75

GLB

WKR
Yep you are limited from going much longer. There are some manufacturers making arrows 34” that would help but may have to step up in spine.
I have a question for you. What is the benefit of having a 35yd PO (not being an ass, just curious) That’s about what I have now(not intentionally) but I have to hold about 20” low at 20yds. Seems pretty low for the range I’d most likely shoot.

Secondly for the group.. My current arrow setup is 600 spine cut to about 28.5” with about 220 total up front. My bareshaft is a touch stiff(slight tail right flight) but seems to always fly straight overall. However my fletched shafts seem to actually impact slightly left of my bareshaft when I don’t have an absolutely perfect release. What do you guys think? I know the answer is just shoot better, but is there a way to maybe shoot a slightly weaker shaft to be more forgiving?

ETA: Shooting a 17” Satori with 28” uukha 45lb medium limbs.. draw length 26.75
With the same arrows I would bump up to a total 250 up front. That should soften the dynamic spine some.

Fling-One

FNG
My arrows are 11.5 gr/#, 598 gr total weight. Blew threw a mule deer and two white tails so far this year. 32 yard point on. I’m happy with my setup.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Delete

Last edited:

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to give myself smaller gaps at the most often used hunt ranges. I shoot the short 15y and in instinctive so no problem there.

I’m very accurate right around my PO distance. Ive proven that I can be effective at 30-35 even with 3/8” and 1/4” gaps…so even better for me if the gap is smaller.

My current 45y PO has me at the midpoint of 22y a 30”gap…..thats apx 1 1/4” at the tip of the arrow, pretty big Making a easy shot tougher.
Okay.. so are you using the gap in reference to the bow rather than the target? Sorry I’m fairly new to traditional archery.

Kentucky

WKR
Okay.. so are you using the gap in reference to the bow rather than the target? Sorry I’m fairly new to traditional archery.
He is using still using the arrow, but he gaps at the arrow tip versus trying to judge 20” at 20 yards

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
With the same arrows I would bump up to a total 250 up front. That should soften the dynamic spine some.
Do you think I could get this point weight on a 31-31” arrow? Maybe a 500 spine?

GLB

WKR
I would try bringing your point weight up on the current arrows to see what that will do. If you move up to the 500 spine figure out what you want up front total. Example 250 total up front, start at full length and then cut back as need to tune.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I would try bringing your point weight up on the current arrows to see what that will do. If you move up to the 500 spine figure out what you want up front total. Example 250 total up front, start at full length and then cut back as need to tune.
Okay will do! I feel like it would be just a little easier having a closer point on for the ranges I will be hunting. Holding 20-25” low with the current shorter arrows is a little bit of a pain.