Truck Shopping

bloom1gr

FNG
I moved out to Oregon from Kentucky this past year, bringing my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee out knowing I'd be looking to upgrade in a matter of time. Starting to shop now and would like to keep to 2019 or newer models. I've always been partial to Chevy, but also considering Ford and Toyota. Figured this would be a pretty good spot to get some input. Wondering what do you look for and what pros/cons are there across makes and models?

Thanks fellas

Mt Al

WKR
Also partial to Chevy/GMC - but zero data to suggest one brand is better than another. I have several friends who swear by Fords, even one who recently went "dark" and moved from GMC to Ford after swearing he'd never do that, and he loves his 150.

What I look for and pros/cons are how it works for 99.9% of driving: daily to work and back and on the highway before I get to the last mile or so of dirt/blm/forest service road. Then towing capacity. I tow and haul heavy things about 6X per year and just touch on the towing capacity limit for a 1/2 ton. I like the mileage, size (don't need no compensation!) and highway driving manners of a 1/2 ton so I stick with those. Others will need a 3/4 for sure with more frequency and heavier loads. I like my 2008 Denali so much that I just put several thousand into a new transfer case, front axle, and a bunch of engine work and hope it works for several more years.

Tough to go wrong with any of the new trucks. I'm not a fan of the new Chevy front ends, it's like they tried to make it look as tall and stupid as possible - and succeeded. The GMC front end isn't quite as dumb looking, IMHO. I'd almost go with Ford for that reason alone.

My 2 cents

22lr

WKR
Tundra is by far the stand out in reliability.
Cons poor milage, can't get a crew max 6.5 bed.

Imo every other truck on the market is an unreliable pile of crap.

Ymmv

Dittos! Lol. I love my Tundra... just really wish the bed was a good longer... that's all I ask...

elkguide

WKR
Just bought a 2021 GMC Denali 2500 HD, DuraMax. My 6th one. Works just fine for me. Between me and my employees, most all of the brands have been on my job sites for the last umpteen years. Most all of my employees have eventually switched from the smaller trucks to the full size as they could do so much more and didn't get that much worse fuel mileage.

New trucks are STUPID money. Wish that I didn't need one but I do. As to 1500 vs. 2500, I don't need the 3/4 ton only a half a dozen times a year BUT I still get one because the times that I am towing, it's not that the half ton (grocery getters of today) won't pull.... it's the stopping and stability that keeps me in a 3/4 ton truck.

A good friend in the automotive industry has worked for the big 4 manufacturers over the last 30 years and when in conversation with him as to which brand to buy, he says, "Buy the one that has the color that matches your boat best. They are all junk!"

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
Tundra is by far the stand out in reliability.
Cons poor milage, can't get a crew max 6.5 bed.

Imo every other truck on the market is an unreliable pile of crap.

Ymmv
How do you consider this against the Tacoma? I have a buddy who loves his Tacoma. I'm surprised to hear so many seeing such a gap between Toyota and anyone else, especially Chevy or Ford

Marble

WKR
For a 2019 and newer you're still going to be paying too much for a truck. I'd look older and spend some time looking for exactly what you might want for the right price (in cash).
And save a ton of money...

Lots of guys get trucks and barely use them. If someone is particular and has patience, you'll find exactly what you are long for.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
For a 2019 and newer you're still going to be paying too much for a truck. I'd look older and spend some time looking for exactly what you might want for the right price (in cash).
I'm open to something a little bit older, but just not expecting to find any with low use or low mileage. I'm all for saving money.

I just traded in a 2018 Tundra for a new Cummins. Loved a lot of stuff about the Tundra, but....the gas mileage sucks, it hasn’t been updated in almost 15 yrs - the interior is outdated as is the technology. Toyota cares very little about the Tundra since it is a US market truck that isnt really sold anywhere else.

Ram is where its at for diesels - cummins is the best diesel engine out there. The new 10 speed Alison that goes in the 2020 and newer duramax’s is having some problems.

The F150 is the best half ton on the market and I won’t go near their Powerstrokes after owning a 6.0. The F150 is Fords bread and butter and they know it. If I was going to buy a half ton, it would be an F150 - they are pretty awesome!

I just traded in a 2018 Tundra for a new Cummins. Loved a lot of stuff about the Tundra, but....the gas mileage sucks, it hasn’t been updated in almost 15 yrs - the interior is outdated as is the technology. Toyota cares very little about the Tundra since it is a US market truck that isnt really sold anywhere else.

Ram is where its at for diesels - cummins is the best diesel engine out there. The new 10 speed Alison that goes in the 2020 and newer duramax’s is having some problems.

The F150 is the best half ton on the market and I won’t go near their Powerstrokes after owning a 6.0. The F150 is Fords bread and butter and they know it. If I was going to buy a half ton, it would be an F150 - they are pretty awesome!
You say tundra is outdated.
I say its wonderful i can still maintain it myself.

I've been really happy with my Raptor. Goes anywhere, tows everything effortlessly and hasn't had any major issues.

Attachments

• 20191223_135411.jpg
    20191223_135411.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20170204_074009.jpg
    20170204_074009.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 89

jlh42581

WKR
2014 Tundra here, had 100k miles on stock brakes towing an 18' fiberglass bass boat regularly and living on a mountain. Ive never replaced anything else except fluids and tires.

Jbehredt

WKR
I spent the last 3 years staring at specs, reading reviews and watching videos on half ton trucks. On paper the big 3 all have their “class leading” whatever. Oh and the gizmos! Massaging seats, OMG! Kidding of course. You know the vibrating seats in the GM throw a check engine light WHEN they break??? In the real world, my money on the table. Planning to hold on to this truck for a decade or two...... I bought a new tundra.
fab2a7c8f6119a46ed37a6f07c3a83d9.jpg

A little eye candy.....

jlh42581

WKR
How do you consider this against the Tacoma? I have a buddy who loves his Tacoma. I'm surprised to hear so many seeing such a gap between Toyota and anyone else, especially Chevy or Ford
One of my best friends has the tacoma and every time he gets in my truck he comments he wishes he bought the tundra for the power difference and cab size. My wife also loves my truck which is an added bonus. Mines a 2014 limited so its leather, heated seats, climate control, navigation, bluetooth. Not too much more a newer truck offers

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
One of my best friends has the tacoma and every time he gets in my truck he comments he wishes he bought the tundra for the power difference and cab size. My wife also loves my truck which is an added bonus. Mines a 2014 limited so its leather, heated seats, climate control, navigation, bluetooth. Not too much more a newer truck offers
My buddy has said the same thing about the cab size, but overall he's been pretty happy with the use he's gotten out of it. Going to have to take a good look at the Tundra. What do you know about the slightly older models compared to the newer ones? He's also mentioned the newer Tacomas aren't as well built as some of the slightly older ones. Wondering if that is strictly a Tacoma thing or maybe extends to the Tundras too..

RS3579

WKR
I have a Tundra crew cab now coming from a Tacoma. This my 2nd Toyota. The power and cab space is much better in tundra. If you have kids get crew cab in any full size brand. The reliability of Toyota is the reason I started buying them. I’ll probably always own a Toyota. All you have to do is change brakes/fluids and drive them. Good luck in your search.