Another truck thread... Ram 1500

Mine is 5' and a quarter, and don't leave out that quarter :LOL: She sort of insisted on some kind of step so I installed some Westin Pro Traxx 4".
Too funny that is how tall my daughter is and the same steps I installed on my truck. The funny thing is my youngest son is 6'5" so it's comical seeing the two of them standing next to each other.

Baddog

WKR
When I was looking the Ram had the best options for the price, originally wanted a F150 but would have spend like 15-20k more to get the same options. I would spend a little bit more if you can and get the laramie, the added options are worth it.
What were you comparing it to? A raptor?

I have a 2020 Power Wagon that I picked up in New Mexico, drove back to Northern California in May. Then drove it back to New Mexico in October for elk hunting, and back home. My buddy has a new RAM eco diesel that we took to New Mexico (3rd time for me) in November for on-range Oryx hunt.

I towed an open trailer with a small side by side for elk hunting, and got about 11-12mpg and maybe 500 off-road miles. His 1500 eco got 23.5mpg combined (no towing) with couple hundred miles of dirt road driving.

Comfort and enjoyability was great in both. Power Wagon is much better on rougher roads since it's softer suspension with 17in rims, whereas the 1500 still had stock 19in rims I believe with thinner sidewall tires. The sway bar disconnect on the Power Wagon is great on rough terrain but re-engages faster than 15mph which was annoying (but safe).

If you are mostly a highway/town driver, the 1500 eco is fantastic for gas mileage. It has no immediate get-up power from a stop compared to the Power Wagon, but that's not a big deal.

Both of our interiors are nearly identical in quality but I have the giant touch screen (his is a limited edition). Power Wagon can sit a 3rd person up front but 1500 has storage in the middle (cant sit there).

I went from a 4runner to my first truck in the Power Wagon and got it stuck 3 times already and used the factory warn winch. Got stuck in New Mexico in a deep sandy rut, got stuck in sand at Sand Mountain because I was towing a side by side and didn't air down enough and was on an incline, and got stuck in a snow ditch turning around. I never got my 4runner stuck so mostly it was just me not being used to a 3/4 ton truck and thought it would be nimble like my 4runner haha.

I have the RAM boxes and I absolutely love them. They are amazing especially for hunting stuff. Get them!

I would strongly recommend the 1500 eco or Power Wagon if you really want a 3/4 ton. Both vehicles are extremely solid, outstanding interiors, etc. These arent the RAMs of the 90s/2000s that rusted into a heap pile (I hope I'm correct).

Last edited:
Reactions: ZDR

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Haha, I’m the buddy in the story ☝️

Was about to say the same stuff, the Powerwagon is no regular 2500 and was just as comfortable driving cross-country (or off-pavement) as my 1500. Only significant difference was fuel economy (and capability).

But 1500 compared to normal 2500/3500? Night & day difference in comfort.

Ram compared to Ford & Chevy? No contest. I drove everything before I picked up the Ram, nothing else was close when it comes to the interior & comfort. Powertrains you can argue back and fourth, but I’m liking the EcoDiesel. The Ford Ecoboost is a rockship but the interior and price was way off compared to the Ram. I picked up a ‘19 Classic (4th gen) because they were giving them away right before covid hit. The 5th gens are even better!

Mine is the family truckster and I do not tow heavy, so it is just what I need, if you need a heavy duty then you know who you are and you deal with the ride quality.

Laramie

WKR
I have been following this thread fairly closely. I'm ready to trade and frankly kind of ticked at Ford right now. I feel like I really know the ford lineup, options, engines, towing, etc. I don't know much about the Rams but am considering giving one a try for the next couple years. (I trade every 2-3 years). A few questions for those guys who have had a couple of different Rams-
1- What do you recommend for engine? I pull a 5,500lb camper 5-10 times a year- less than 100 miles one way. I also make frequent trips to the mountains. Round trip about 800 miles.
2- I am used to the XLT package in the F-150. What package/model should I be looking at in the Ram?
3- What should I pay? That's the other reason it's hard to make a switch. I have a very good feel for where dealers can and will go on pricing so I have been able to trade for about 2k per year. Pretty cheap to own a new truck if you know what you are doing. Pretty easy to lose 5-7k per year if you don't.

Appreciate any help. Thank you

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
I have been following this thread fairly closely. I'm ready to trade and frankly kind of ticked at Ford right now. I feel like I really know the ford lineup, options, engines, towing, etc. I don't know much about the Rams but am considering giving one a try for the next couple years. (I trade every 2-3 years). A few questions for those guys who have had a couple of different Rams-
1- What do you recommend for engine? I pull a 5,500lb camper 5-10 times a year- less than 100 miles one way. I also make frequent trips to the mountains. Round trip about 800 miles.
2- I am used to the XLT package in the F-150. What package/model should I be looking at in the Ram?
3- What should I pay? That's the other reason it's hard to make a switch. I have a very good feel for where dealers can and will go on pricing so I have been able to trade for about 2k per year. Pretty cheap to own a new truck if you know what you are doing. Pretty easy to lose 5-7k per year if you don't.

Appreciate any help. Thank you

1) What engine in your F-150? You could easily do Hemi or Ecodiesel, I’d say thats a preference/fuel economy question.

2) Bighorn or Laramie (Laramie being upper-mid trim). Actually I think Laramie is closer to Lariat w/ leather...

3) This one’s tougher in covid times, beforehand the answer would be no less than $10k off MSRP. They were giving away the Ram Classic 1500 a year ago when I got mine, $18k+ off Msrp. Can’t give any real help on price now, sorry.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in a 2019 Ram Big Horn double cab I bought with 11,000 miles in late 19’. I seriously doubt you’ll find a better riding truck. It really does put most vehicles to shame it’s so smooth and quiet. I’ve had the 8” screen replaced under warranty and it was twitching and not connecting to the phone properly. Other than that it’s a great truck and the convenience II package has more stuff than I’ll ever need.

that being said I’m waiting on my newly built GMC to get here from Mexico. I bought the double cab Ram with 1 baby and now have 2. Those small back doors will not hold us and 2 car seats, made a mistake there. That and I live on a 2x4 mile island and rarely exceed 40 mph and the Hemi is avg. 13.6 mpg for me. So I needed 4 full doors. The GMC incentives and a great local dealer made me switch but I really wanted another Ram. I bought the Ram for $31k and 1.5 years and 12,000 miles later I traded it for $28k. I’m pretty happy with that.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I've test driven a few rams lately but I just cant get excited about a truck that rusts through the rear quarter panels if you sneeze on it.

j_volt

WKR
I have a 19 Bighorn with a topper. I love it! I paid $36k for it new in July of 19 with an extended warranty out to 85k miles. Mine did have the back window frame crack recently. It is going in Wednesday for warranty work. Rams seemed to have the best options for the money. I looked at Chevy, Ford, and Toyota as well.

Rob5589

WKR
I've test driven a few rams lately but I just cant get excited about a truck that rusts through the rear quarter panels if you sneeze on it.
That's crazy. You'd think the trucks would be repaired before being sold. How bad have they been? Maybe it's something I need to watch out for, although I do hose mine down good after getting mudded up.

wyosteve

WKR
Just got back from an aoudad hunt in West Texas. Drove the Power Wagon down and back and couldn't have been more pleased. The last 27 miles to the ranch were basically a bulldozed trail through the desert and the Ram took the dips, bumps, etc. with ease. Highway ride was very pleasant. I ran it hard, averaging 80 plus mph on the way home with 91 mph passing. Fuel economy was a touch over 15 which in my opinion is very acceptable for the weight, Hemi and speed I was driving.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
This is absolutely true. The difference in rust development in Ram trucks versus all others is undeniable.

Last edited:
that being said I’m waiting on my newly built GMC to get here from Mexico. I bought the double cab Ram with 1 baby and now have 2. Those small back doors will not hold us and 2 car seats, made a mistake there. That and I live on a 2x4 mile island and rarely exceed 40 mph and the Hemi is avg. 13.6 mpg for me. So I needed 4 full doors. The GMC incentives and a great local dealer made me switch but I really wanted another Ram. I bought the Ram for $31k and 1.5 years and 12,000 miles later I traded it for $28k. I’m pretty happy with that.
Sounds like you got the quad cab? I almost pulled the trigger on one until I sat in it. Boy it was uncomfortable, not just small but awkward upright angle of the seats.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
That's crazy. You'd think the trucks would be repaired before being sold. How bad have they been? Maybe it's something I need to watch out for, although I do hose mine down good after getting mudded up.
You'd probably be fine out in CA, but here in the upper midwest with road salt and other road treatment products on our highways in the winter, rust prevention is an absolute must for any vehicle. It's not just dodge's sheet metal that sucks though. the cab corners go just as fast in 2004-2014 Ford F150s. Nearly every 2007-2013 silverado/sierra has wheel well covers/fender flairs because the wheel wells are rusted through. I haven't heard much about the 2014 & up Silverados and Sierras having as bad of issues yet. Avoiding rust is a big reason Tundras and 2015 & up F150s are popular. Tundras seem to keep the rust at bay, and the F150's aluminum body doesn't react to the road salt like their steel bodies did.

Rob5589

WKR
You'd probably be fine out in CA, but here in the upper midwest with road salt and other road treatment products on our highways in the winter, rust prevention is an absolute must for any vehicle. It's not just dodge's sheet metal that sucks though. the cab corners go just as fast in 2004-2014 Ford F150s. Nearly every 2007-2013 silverado/sierra has wheel well covers/fender flairs because the wheel wells are rusted through. I haven't heard much about the 2014 & up Silverados and Sierras having as bad of issues yet. Avoiding rust is a big reason Tundras and 2015 & up F150s are popular. Tundras seem to keep the rust at bay, and the F150's aluminum body doesn't react to the road salt like their steel bodies did.
Salt is brutal on vehicles. Main reason guys come looking for classics and such in CA and AZ.

I have a 2020 Power Wagon that I picked up in New Mexico, drove back to Northern California in May. Then drove it back to New Mexico in October for elk hunting, and back home. My buddy has a new RAM eco diesel that we took to New Mexico (3rd time for me) in November for on-range Oryx hunt.

I towed an open trailer with a small side by side for elk hunting, and got about 11-12mpg and maybe 500 off-road miles. His 1500 eco got 23.5mpg combined (no towing) with couple hundred miles of dirt road driving.

Comfort and enjoyability was great in both. Power Wagon is much better on rougher roads since it's softer suspension with 17in rims, whereas the 1500 still had stock 19in rims I believe with thinner sidewall tires. The sway bar disconnect on the Power Wagon is great on rough terrain but re-engages faster than 15mph which was annoying (but safe).

If you are mostly a highway/town driver, the 1500 eco is fantastic for gas mileage. It has no immediate get-up power from a stop compared to the Power Wagon, but that's not a big deal.

Both of our interiors are nearly identical in quality but I have the giant touch screen (his is a limited edition). Power Wagon can sit a 3rd person up front but 1500 has storage in the middle (cant sit there).

I went from a 4runner to my first truck in the Power Wagon and got it stuck 3 times already and used the factory warn winch. Got stuck in New Mexico in a deep sandy rut, got stuck in sand at Sand Mountain because I was towing a side by side and didn't air down enough and was on an incline, and got stuck in a snow ditch turning around. I never got my 4runner stuck so mostly it was just me not being used to a 3/4 ton truck and thought it would be nimble like my 4runner haha.

I have the RAM boxes and I absolutely love them. They are amazing especially for hunting stuff. Get them!

I would strongly recommend the 1500 eco or Power Wagon if you really want a 3/4 ton. Both vehicles are extremely solid, outstanding interiors, etc. These arent the RAMs of the 90s/2000s that rusted into a heap pile (I hope I'm correct).
I have a '14 Ram 1500 and love it! My next truck will likely be a 2500. Not sure if I would go Power Wagon though.

My question is. Does your buddies 1500 with the eco diesel have the capability of carrying more or towing more than the regular 1500? I ask because my truck on a 4300 mile trip to Colorado and back from NJ got 21.5 mpg and I have often had trips between 200-500 miles getting 24mpg.

If not I really don't see an advantage unless my truck is the exception to the rule with gas mileage when you figure in the additional cost of the diesel engine, higher costs of repairs and higher cost of diesel fuel.