What is your household hunting budget?

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Never thought of a hunting budget, If I want it, I buy it; If I want to go, I go. Maybe a budget would make the wife happier.

I don’t get that statement. I can’t get a tag without applying and that costs money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hunt in my home state. Deer tag is $20.

You said between yourself and your wife you’re paying $2600 to hunt. I’d refuse to pay fees that high to hunt. But like i said, to each their own.

None really. All gear needed to hunt already acquired. Hunting home state so cost are minimal.
I'm not a buy the newest latest greatest gear kind of guy. I bought really good quality gear when acquired so no need to upgrade. I buy little things here and there but cost is minimal overall. As long as my weight is stable all my clothes fit :)

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
~$5k/year. That number steadily goes up as my income does. I always make sure there's enough for the important stuff. If needed, I'd cut back on gear purchases but continue buying as many tags as possible.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
I hunt in my home state. Deer tag is $20.

You said between yourself and your wife you’re paying $2600 to hunt. I’d refuse to pay fees that high to hunt. But like i said, to each their own.

$2600 for apps, not to hunt. This year I drew a limited entry Utah tag and that was an additional $1,000. Good for you if your happy hunting one species of deer. I’m happy to spend the money for the opportunities we have.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Kind of unlimited. But I try to stay a bit frugal. My wife knows I have my hobbies and she has hers. We probably spend more on fishing/boating than both of all of our other hobbies combined.

I was looking at these posts as more of the average “what i spend a year” not factoring in the year you bought a new rifle for your kid. I haven’t bought a new weapon (my bow) since 2009. So obviously that year i spent more than $200.

In that light, i cannot believe guys are spending 10-20% of the income in hunting.

Preaching to the choir about it being a lifestyle. I’ve been living the lifestyle since the 80s it’s pretty much all i do.
what if you have already hit a retirement savings goal and continuing to work is what affords you the ability to not only hunt but hunt past ordinary means and also indulge several family trips, etc

If you have young kids, budgets probably a lower percentage then grown kids, paid for home and a fully funded pension and 401k etc

Be my guess

Never thought of a hunting budget, If I want it, I buy it; If I want to go, I go. Maybe a budget would make the wife happier.
dont do that. You currently have plausible deniability. make a budget and its written in stone with no inflation adjustments

None really. All gear needed to hunt already acquired. Hunting home state so cost are minimal.
I'm not a buy the newest latest greatest gear kind of guy. I bought really good quality gear when acquired so no need to upgrade. I buy little things here and there but cost is minimal overall. As long as my weight is stable all my clothes fit :)
Buy good quality and then use it for a long time. Good strategy man.

I probably spent $7-$8k a year on hunting trips. That doesn’t include new or upgraded gear throughout the year. Just tags, travel, food etc.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska. State deer season is Aug-Dec, then federal subsistence hunting in Jan.
Curious what it's like. I rode my bike up and talked to few people, small sample size.

The people I talked to, again small sample size, were like other year I went this place, another year this. I get you might not be able to eat a moose every year. And maybe the costs.

Also not like just driving to camp for some of these hunts.

I also get on this topic we have wide incomes. Not that I could not come up with 2k a year to apply, it just hard for me to do it mentally.

Though maybe as I learn system I might do more. $114 in Colorado is not end of world. It is just annoying to pay just to apply

Michigan to apply for bear, you don't need a tag. There is $5 fee.

jg58

FNG
My wife and I both recently started new jobs and we’re having a strategic financial conversation and redefining some of our short/long term goals.

With that in mind, we’re assessing our individual hobby budgets. What percentage/amount of your take home goes toward hunting-related expenses? I know this can vary greatly from person to person, but I’m just curious.

100 percent