What is your household hunting budget?

I have pretty much all I 'need' to hunt so less than $1000 a year including gas if I stay in Kansas. If I hunt Missouri for deer this year that would double if I do 3 trips there. All I need are tags and gasoline...no hotels just camp out and I need to eat everyday anyway...
Agreed. I don't count food, or all of the fuel.

I'd have eaten and driven if I wasn't hunting.

It’s a lifestyle and if the whole family participates it’s easy to do. Throw in some expenses like a new bird dog or weapons for the kids, travel and it adds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking at these posts as more of the average “what i spend a year” not factoring in the year you bought a new rifle for your kid. I haven’t bought a new weapon (my bow) since 2009. So obviously that year i spent more than $200.

In that light, i cannot believe guys are spending 10-20% of the income in hunting.

Preaching to the choir about it being a lifestyle. I’ve been living the lifestyle since the 80s it’s pretty much all i do.

cmahoney

WKR
I was looking at these posts as more of the average “what i spend a year” not factoring in the year you bought a new rifle for your kid. I haven’t bought a new weapon (my bow) since 2009. So obviously that year i spent more than $200.

In that light, i cannot believe guys are spending 10-20% of the income in hunting.

Preaching to the choir about it being a lifestyle. I’ve been living the lifestyle since the 80s it’s pretty much all i do.

I spend over well over $600 on apps in my home state for my wife and I. I probably spend around $2000 on apps and licenses just for me.

JakeSCH

WKR
2% to 4% of gross W2 income....but usually I am doing investments that pay for it all hunting / family travel so technically it is 0% of W2.

** EDIT ** My highest percentage over a 12 month period was 10%....wife was not happy then.

Last edited:

RunNGunSC

FNG
$1,000 on applications, points, and raffles; unlimited on refundable tag fees that need to be fronted; guns are an investment not an expense; gear counts as a gift for any upcoming holiday; and instate hunting is cheap (turkey, whitetail, duck, etc.). Western states don’t like me, so I never actually pay tag fees. Got my oldest daughter her first turkey this year, so divide those expenses in half, the other half is just quality family time.

nodyroc

FNG
Me: Quick math has me at 5%
My wife: You spend more money on hunting than any other person in the World!

Geewhiz

WKR
My hunting budget is the majority of my check. If I have any left I’ll buy something frivolous like a little food for the kids or something. 🤣

After reading about $700 rainwear, $800 tents, $150 - $250 pants, $400 coats, $900 pack systems all of which some members have 3 or 4 of each. They use these to go on hunts all over the US and even the world, I think there may be some gross underestimation or even fibbing. If not we would be seeing more people squirrel hunting necked with really nice pack systems or deer hunting from a high tech tent camp with a Red Rider slung over their shoulder. I suppose the percentage could be lower if your making big 6 or 7 figure incomes but………

Never really put any attention to it. would have to guess at least 10%, especially being younger than most on here and just getting into the western game, from living in the midwest. Just make sure I've got some bills accounted for and can buy a little food here and there...

Antares

WKR
I am sure there is,buts different I suspect east. We hunt every year. Deer camps. Schools close. Local radio reporting. Families get together.

$13 for a tag.

I’m glad you enjoy your traditions, but you’re not going to get me excited about some 9-day rifle season circus. My rifle deer season is 6 months long and tags are free. We have our traditions too.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Gun season is 15 days. Bow season, muzzleloader too. Few months.
By me it is not a circus, I don't see people. Don't see as many deer in snow belt. No agriculture.

cmahoney

WKR
I’m glad you enjoy your traditions, but you’re not going to get me excited about some 9-day rifle season circus. My rifle deer season is 6 months long and tags are free. We have our traditions too.

Where is that?

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I stand corrected. I was 6 days off.
Then add bow, and muzzle loader, youth hunts, as I already wrote.

But I enjoy getting together with family and friends at camp. I understand not your tradition, but it is mine.
$13