What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
So is the cartel buying up all the ammo and toyotas?

What would be the best #2 option for a built up offroad truck? Mid 90s ford rangers with the TTB front end?

Poser

WKR
e65de4a15694aa93715a0557c17ccedd.jpg

Jon C

FNG
So I’ve had a 2017 Colorado that seen the shop zero times in 80k.

Dad has had two Silverado 1500s in that time, current one has 80k with the 5.3 and no issues

Buddy has a GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3, 90k no issues.

To muddy the water some - and to be honest and not fanboy a brand - my BIL had a Silverado 1500 that the radiator went up in at 65k. They wouldn’t warranty it. He uses his truck as a work truck and beats them pretty bad. He traded it away on a Ford with the 3.5 and has had zero issues since - this has been 3 years or so ago.

In all of the above cases(save for my BIL) the trucks weren’t heavily modified or beat on. They upgraded the tires to a good AT and that’s it. No crazy lifts, massive oversized tires, offsets, etc.

I’d be willing to bet most reliability issues stem from

1. People adding lifts/massive tires/etc onto a stock truck. Like I mentioned in a previous post, newer 1/2 ton trucks especially are engineered first and foremost for fuel economy. While it might not seem like much, adding stuff like lifts puts additional strain on the truck that it wasn’t designed for. Think about tires, a stock sized highway tire weighs like 35-40lbs each. A LT 35” tire can weigh upwards of 60-80lbs each. That’s a whole lot more weight that needs to be rolled every time it moves. The lift adds additional drag. Offsets put more stress on the drivetrain in general. Add it all on a truck that was engineered with stock height to limit drag, no offsets and highway tires that weigh 40lbs each and you can see it putting a massive amount of additional wear on the truck.

2. Beating the shit out of it. Self explanatory. Take the aforementioned truck with all those add ons(or even a totally stock truck) and run it down some logging roads or dirt roads not worried about the ruts, holes, rocks, etc at higher speeds and tell me how long your stuff lasts. Even the 2500/3500 trucks won’t stand up to this although they’ll hang on longer.

3. Just downright neglecting maintenance. “Oh my transmission is due for service, stupid stealership it’s working fine”. Neglecting oil changes. Neglecting drivetrain services. Neglecting intervals like spark plug replacement or otherwise. All detrimental.

Jon C

FNG
So I’ve had a 2017 Colorado that seen the shop zero times in 80k.

Dad has had two Silverado 1500s in that time, current one has 80k with the 5.3 and no issues

Buddy has a GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3, 90k no issues.

To muddy the water some - and to be honest and not fanboy a brand - my BIL had a Silverado 1500 that the radiator went up in at 65k. They wouldn’t warranty it. He uses his truck as a work truck and beats them pretty bad. He traded it away on a Ford with the 3.5 and has had zero issues since - this has been 3 years or so ago.

In all of the above cases(save for my BIL) the trucks weren’t heavily modified or beat on. They upgraded the tires to a good AT and that’s it. No crazy lifts, massive oversized tires, offsets, etc.

I’d be willing to bet most reliability issues stem from

1. People adding lifts/massive tires/etc onto a stock truck. Like I mentioned in a previous post, newer 1/2 ton trucks especially are engineered first and foremost for fuel economy. While it might not seem like much, adding stuff like lifts puts additional strain on the truck that it wasn’t designed for. Think about tires, a stock sized highway tire weighs like 35-40lbs each. A LT 35” tire can weigh upwards of 60-80lbs each. That’s a whole lot more weight that needs to be rolled every time it moves. The lift adds additional drag. Offsets put more stress on the drivetrain in general. Add it all on a truck that was engineered with stock height to limit drag, no offsets and highway tires that weigh 40lbs each and you can see it putting a massive amount of additional wear on the truck.

2. Beating the shit out of it. Self explanatory. Take the aforementioned truck with all those add ons(or even a totally stock truck) and run it down some logging roads or dirt roads not worried about the ruts, holes, rocks, etc at higher speeds and tell me how long your stuff lasts. Even the 2500/3500 trucks won’t stand up to this although they’ll hang on longer.

3. Just downright neglecting maintenance. “Oh my transmission is due for service, stupid stealership it’s working fine”. Neglecting oil changes. Neglecting drivetrain services. Neglecting intervals like spark plug replacement or otherwise. All detrimental.
I had a 2013 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 serviced at dealer since new completely stock. Great truck until it got old at 2 years old and 42000 miles. Couldn’t keep injectors or oil in it. Every couple hundred miles it lit up like a Christmas tree and ran on seven cylinders then replace the 5 quarts of oil that went missing. I know 5 die hard Chevy guys that had all sorts of electrical or cylinder shut off problems three went tundras one went Ford and one is still driving his. I know a few people that have had great luck also but most have switched brants that I know. I was a die hard Chevy guy the 5.7 and 5.3s I’ve had were great before they started shutting cylinders off. Maybe it’s fixed now but two almost new chevys at my campground have been towed in because of electrical issues that were brand new last year. Every company has made lemons but my last two chevys were so bad I’d never buy another.

I had a 2013 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 serviced at dealer since new completely stock. Great truck until it got old at 2 years old and 42000 miles. Couldn’t keep injectors or oil in it. Every couple hundred miles it lit up like a Christmas tree and ran on seven cylinders then replace the 5 quarts of oil that went missing. I know 5 die hard Chevy guys that had all sorts of electrical or cylinder shut off problems three went tundras one went Ford and one is still driving his. I know a few people that have had great luck also but most have switched brants that I know. I was a die hard Chevy guy the 5.7 and 5.3s I’ve had were great before they started shutting cylinders off. Maybe it’s fixed now but two almost new chevys at my campground have been towed in because of electrical issues that were brand new last year. Every company has made lemons but my last two chevys were so bad I’d never buy another.
I believe it 100%. No company makes a perfect vehicle. All the vehicles I listed were the 5.3 with AFM or whatever the cylinder shutoff is called. Same with my v6 Colorado - it also had that stuff on it and me nor any of the other guys have had any issues.

I drive a Ford now, and a Toyota prior to the Chevrolet so I’m far from a fanboy. I think all the manufacturers make decent vehicles nowadays... but of course while making decent ones there's also the chance of getting a Friday.

Last edited:
People are so bonkers over anything with Toyota on it, it’s almost scary. The Tacoma’s are dependable little trucks. I liked mine. But, by 100,000 miles in, it wasn’t fairing very well. I broke the bed loose around the bed bolts. I had to redo front brake system because the factory rotors were sticking. Check engine light was on. And, it didn’t get any better gas mikk look rage then a full size v8.

I once worked for a company that bought the tundras for work vehicles. Out of 28 trucks, 4 needed new transmission before the warranty was up. Their power sucked. But, not as much as their gas mileage.

yet, people act as if they are the Holy Grail. That sure hasn’t been my experience. I type this with a Ford 150 setting in my driveway with 200,000 miles on it. Nothing but regular maintenance and a passenger side strut. The other Ford 150 in my driveway has over 300,000 miles on it. I’ve done regular maintenance and installed an alternator.

My brother just sold a Chevrolet 1500 with over 400,000 miles on it. It’s still trodding along nicely. He just traded in his f150 work truck that had 298,000 miles on it. It was still a powerhouse. My dads 2500 Chevrolet has 250,000 miles on it and besides regular maintenance, he’s put a clutch in it.

So, I’m really lost at this Toyota obsession. When they will last as long on average as the big three does, I’ll start listening. But, if over all duration of body and working components don’t, then what is the infatuation about?

It's a TOYOTA. Be honest while driving down the road to look how many toyota's are broke down on the shoulder. If they are it's probably out of gas. Everywhere you go people want them. Pretty dang dependable vehicle compared to most. Resale is unbelievable. And if I could jump high, I'd say "Oh what a feeling."
Come to WV. They aren’t broke down on the road because most over 6-7 years old are rusted so bad the frames are broke.

I wander how many of the fan boys live in climates where salt is used to melt highway ice. I’m betting if you did, you wouldn’t be wandering why they are never broke down with their hood up on the side of the road.

The only Toyota worth any special consideration is the Tacoma. And, it’s small size and lightweight, are what makes it desirable to some, while undesirable to others. They are small inside too. So, if you are tall, you aren’t going to like them. But, their chassis is overbuilt. Making them last a long time if you keep the salt off them.

So, I’m really lost at this Toyota obsession. When they will last as long on average as the big three does, I’ll start listening. But, if over all duration of body and working components don’t, then what is the infatuation about?

Drugs? The Toyota's are always at the top of the longest lasting vehicle lists. Land Cruisers, Sequioas, Tacomas, Tundras.

Sorry for the detour but curious on this one.. I've never changed auto transmission fluid or gear oil in differentials on any truck I've owned. Had a 98 silverado in college and my mechanic cousin told me they probably see more transmissions let go once a tired tranny gets fresh lubrication than they do people just leaving them alone. I gave it to my parents for a cabin truck for a few years. They gave it to my uncle. It probably still has the same tranny fluid in it (guessing original) that it had when I bought it in 2006. I haven't kept a vehicle much past 100k since but my 2016 f150 is at about 110k and still has all original fluids in tranny and diffs.

Last edited:
Sorry for the detour but curious on this one.. I've never changed auto transmission fluid or gear oil in differentials on any truck I've owned. Had a 98 silverado in college and my mechanic cousin told me they probably see more transmissions let go once a tired tranny gets fresh lubrication than they do people just leaving them alone. I gave it to my parents for a cabin truck for a few years. They gave it to my uncle. It probably still has the same tranny fluid in it (guessing original) than it had when I bought it in 2006. I haven't kept a vehicle since much over 100k but my 2016 f150 is at about 110k and still has all original fluids in tranny and diffs.
You mean your non-Toyota truck is still running with that many miles on it? Proof I don’t believe it Toyota’s are the best!!!!!!

In all seriousness, that is a real phenomenon. It typically ends up that a lot of the friction material inside the transmission is either broken down in the fluid itself or is in the process of breaking down, then when you change the oil which has fresh detergents in it it continues breaking them down at an accelerated rate. A lot - if not most - transmissions have an internal filter that should be changed at the same time.

I’ll go off on a little tangent here - the limiting factor on oil life is typically filter media related. The oil itself being made nowadays could be ran 10-15 maybe even 20k without much breakdown, but the filter will clog long before that. When there’s a filter involved, there’s also a “pressure triggered”(for lack of a better term, brain fart) bypass valve involved that keeps the engine/transmission lubricated in those situations where the filter is too plugged for fluid/oil to flow through. In those cases, it’s also sending contaminates through the engine/transmission as well.

As far as your differential oil, like with the other oils there are additives in the oil(detergents, lubricity additives, corrosion inhibitors, etc) that eventually lose their potency, thus no longer protecting the parts as they should be. Is it a big deal? I think so if you want it to last as long as possible... remember these things were engineered with those additives in mind. Not to mention that friction will break down oil as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They are small inside too. So, if you are tall, you aren’t going to like them.
The newer Tacoma's have small windshields and windows, which is why I don't have one. Not sure why they changed them so much, reminds me of the FJ Cruiser windows. At 6'6" I can't even see out the windshield without scrunching down in the seat. But my old Toyota xtracab has plenty of room......leg, head, and otherwise with great visibility all the way around.

I used to work as a Mechanic at a Toyota dealership years ago. We'd see Toyota's with 300k+ come in for nothing more than an oil change. They just seemed to run forever. They definitely hold their value!

Sorry for the detour but curious on this one.. I've never changed auto transmission fluid or gear oil in differentials on any truck I've owned. Had a 98 silverado in college and my mechanic cousin told me they probably see more transmissions let go once a tired tranny gets fresh lubrication than they do people just leaving them alone. I gave it to my parents for a cabin truck for a few years. They gave it to my uncle. It probably still has the same tranny fluid in it (guessing original) that it had when I bought it in 2006. I haven't kept a vehicle much past 100k since but my 2016 f150 is at about 110k and still has all original fluids in tranny and diffs.

Lots of vehicles go their entire life 200k plus without that stuff being changed. If the vehicle isnt used outside of its designed intent, those fluids, especially gear oils, will go many miles.

As far as servicing a trans that has been neglected and the oil is dirty.......I have never bought that new oil can cause a failure. Most of the time the trans is acting up already so people decide to have it serviced.

I generally recommend 100k on differential oils (if they are syn) . Auto trans every 50k-100k...really based on fluid condition, and oil changes around 5k.

Last edited:
Lots of vehicles go their entire life 200k plus without that stuff being changed. If the vehicle isnt used outside of its designed intent, those fluids, especially gear oils, will go many miles.

As far as servicing a trans that has been neglected and the oil is dirty.......I have never bought that new oil can cause a failure. Most of the time the trans is acting up already so people decide to have it serviced.

I generally recommend 100k on differential oils (if they are syn) . Auto trans every 50k-100k...really based on fluid condition, and oil changes around 5k.
This is what I have done on my Tahoe. Changed fluid based on factory service recommendations. I have an original tranny with 288k miles on it. Still going strong and will change the fluid/filter again at 300k

Drugs? The Toyota's are always at the top of the longest lasting vehicle lists. Land Cruisers, Sequioas, Tacomas, Tundras.
Nope. Just not understanding the obsession. I’ve owned and, drove even more company rides of all the major makes. New and used. And what I’ve said has been my experience. And, I’m not alone either.

Squincher

WKR
I assume things that are popular are popular for good reason, because by and large people aren't stupid. Except the guy who makes out like he's smarter than everyone else. That guy is usually stupid.

I assume things that are popular are popular for good reason, because by and large people aren't stupid. Except the guy who makes out like he's smarter than everyone else. That guy is usually stupid.

Well people are actually generally quite stupid. Just look at things that are popular.

Or am I making myself out to be smarter than everyone else?

Now I confused myself.

ElkNut1

WKR
Because it's a Toyota! Sorta like the other thread I started, if that same 1991 truck with a 156,000 was a ford, chevy, dodge, etc I wouldn't be in the least interested in it. But Toyota has that rep that they just go & go. It's hard to overlook that! Being it's a Toyota you've got my attention even though my present daily driver is a chevy!

ElkNut