What to build, volume/hunter?

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
It can be inletted for a DBM but your best bet would be a McMillan or Manners. If needed I could recommend several smiths that could get you a savage barrel chambered also. Where are you located in West Texas?

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I would be happier with a 12lb rifle, even more would be ok. I will sit down and shoot 20-50 in an afternoon, but I would still like to take long shots on deer. I wont be hiking up and down mountains with it. So I guess a lightweight carbon barrel isnt the way to go.

Hell, if you're good with that weight, I'd say get a 6.5mm sendero (or one of the palmas) steel barrel, throw it in a chassis of your choosing and go to town.

I did a very similar thing with the goal of making a bench-and-blind-only rifle in 6.5CM with a leftover 700 action, Bartlein medium palma barrel and an XLR element chassis. It is indeed hefty, but as a result it's a joy to shoot all day and easy to shoot well. I love the chassis more than any of my conventional stocks (I'd put them on more rifles if it wasn't for the weight!).

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 33
OP
lyle_destroys
Hell, if you're good with that weight, I'd say get a 6.5mm sendero (or one of the palmas) steel barrel, throw it in a chassis of your choosing and go to town.

I did a very similar thing with the goal of making a bench-and-blind-only rifle in 6.5CM with a leftover 700 action, Bartlein medium palma barrel and an XLR element chassis. It is indeed hefty, but as a result it's a joy to shoot all day and easy to shoot well. I love the chassis more than any of my conventional stocks (I'd put them on more rifles if it wasn't for the weight!).
Man I like that! What does it weigh as it sits right now? I have plenty of walking around/hiking rifles. Bench and blind is a good description of what Im looking to do. And what chassis is that?

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Man I like that! What does it weigh as it sits right now? I have plenty of walking around/hiking rifles. Bench and blind is a good description of what Im looking to do. And what chassis is that?

Bare rifle (action, trigger, chassis & barrel) was the tiniest bit over 10 lbs. After the scope, base, rings, bipod, muzzle brake and a boat anchor of an AAC suppressor it is sitting at 14 lb 6 oz.

Chassis is an XLR Element. First foray into the world of chassis, and I'm a fan. Super comfortable to be behind and quickly adjustable, which I've used more than I expected getting it set to fit younger shooters. At $565 delivered and no bedding needed, way cheaper than getting into an adjustable Manners or McM.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Lots of people have opinions, not a lot of people have real world experience. ;)

My Smith has built several on short actions and is in the process of building me one right now. You could run one on a Remington short action with a longer mag box, that being said, all my experience is with custom rifles.

It's definitely been recommended to be run in medium to long actions. Short actions that measure longer like a M70 WSM will work, but my gunsmith didn't recommend going shorter. Otherwise he recommended going long action.

Good discussion, though.

WRO

WKR
It's definitely been recommended to be run in medium to long actions. Short actions that measure longer like a M70 WSM will work, but my gunsmith didn't recommend going shorter. Otherwise he recommended going long action.

Good discussion, though.

If I was going to chamber a 6.5 PRC in a long action, I'd just run a 264 win or 6.5-06..

Forest

WKR
If I were to choose strictly a whitetail gun, it would be a 257 weatherby. Extremely flat shooting, only downside is spendy to get into as brass isn't the cheapest. That said I love my 7mm-08s and there are just a lot of good options these days. Maybe even too many ha

OP
lyle_destroys
If I were to choose strictly a whitetail gun, it would be a 257 weatherby. Extremely flat shooting, only downside is spendy to get into as brass isn't the cheapest. That said I love my 7mm-08s and there are just a lot of good options these days. Maybe even too many ha
I agree with you on having too many options! I have a .257 roberts that loves killing whitetail does. Ive been debating on ackley improving it but its so accurate I dont really want to mess with it right now. I think the quarter bores are underated big time.

OP
lyle_destroys
Does anyone have experience with x-caliber barrels? Did a search here that didnt show much. Dont want to start another thread on it.
Google results from a few years ago had some negative feedback but more recent results have all been great. Im thinking about getting a pre-fit, headspacing it myself. Then in-letting my current stock for the barrel and drop-mag bottom metal, adding a cheek riser, then bedding which Ive done on several of my own rifles already. If I screw it up or dont like it im not going to be out anything.

I agree with you on having too many options! I have a .257 roberts that loves killing whitetail does. Ive been debating on ackley improving it but its so accurate I dont really want to mess with it right now. I think the quarter bores are underated big time.

There is a new quarter bore hunting bullet getting developed right now. It will be over 130 grains. And my understanding is it will need a 1:7 twist to stabilize it. I am thinking it must be over 140 grains.

Last edited:
OP
lyle_destroys
There is a new quarter bore hunting bullet getting developed right now. It will be over 130 grains. And my understanding is it will need a 1:7 twist to stabilize it. I am thinking it must be over 140 grains.
Ill bet that of this happens other companies will follow suite, high bc .257s will be the next big thing. Here comes the .250prc

260madman

WKR
Grab a Criterion from NSS and a barrel nut. I bought one years ago in 260Rem at 28”. Straight taper and it’s heavy but no recoil. It shoots well, you won’t be disappointed.

OP
lyle_destroys
Grab a Criterion from NSS and a barrel nut. I bought one years ago in 260Rem at 28”. Straight taper and it’s heavy but no recoil. It shoots well, you won’t be disappointed.
NSS and criterion prices are great for a custom barrel. Another compa y ive been looking at is Patriot Valley pre-fits. They use Rock Creek blanks and seem to be top notch, but cost more.

260madman

WKR
You might be waiting a looong time for a barrel from them. PVA is a year out on a rifle. There’s a big thread on Sniper’s Hide.

You can’t go wrong with a Criterion. I have 5 of their barrels. 3 in 223 Wylde for some of my AR 15s and a 308 on my large frame AR. I’d like another for my donor Savage I’ve had for a few years.

brushape

WKR
First of all the savage short action has a long mag box which would be just fine with the prc, second of all The prc uses a different bolt face than your 7-08 so keep that in mind.
In my opinion after building a savage myself is I wouldn’t really recommend doing it again. For not much more than the cost of a new prefit barrel you can just buy another savage or have a good chunk of money down on a tikka with a superior action and magazine system
c88f93619420c15b7895d4e7196f071c.jpg

It’s your money and your already functioning rifle but that’s my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lyle_destroys
Can anyone tell me OAL of 6.5 prc with eldx or berger hunting vlds without seating the bullet too far into the case?