Which type of shelter?

Elite

WKR
Hello, so I am in the market for a shelter mainly used for sheep hunting in Alberta. I have stayed in buddies 2 man free standing pole style tent and it was TIGHT with our packs/rifles in it with us. So I have wanting to buy my own tent as I am planning some solo scouting and hunting trips. I have been looking at the seek outside tipi style shelters mainly the Cimarron I know it is big but would be nice to have the extra room if a buddy tags along. The things I like about the tipi style. The option of a stove and a nest if needed. I am worried how these style
of tents handle the wind tho?? I would like to try and camp high in the alpine area this year vs hiking up and down every day so the wind is bad up up there usually and the foot print is large so I am thinking it might be hard to find a flat area that of that size in the mountains... Does anyone have experience with these for sheep hunting? And what would ever one recommend I buy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Lite outdoors.. I'm ordering one of their packages..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

kad11

WKR
Pyramid and tipi shelters offer really good wind resistance when staked out properly. You can't beat the space to weight ratio; I prefer square mids to tipis because I think they are easier to pitch in a hurry. Floorless is the way to go for most situations in my opinion.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Floorless isn't my cup of tea in the mountains but I don't know of too many people with more experience using floorless than @aktroutbum

Silver

FNG
I bought a floor less pyramid (Black Diamond MegaLight), and although it’s light I did wonder how it would do in the wind. Took it on a mountaineering trip up Mt. Rainier a couple weeks ago and although I didn’t have it staked out as well as I would have liked (no sewn guy-out points and a too small snow pad) it stood up to rotor wash from an A-Star helicopter as they slung out waste barrels.

I don’t worry so much about wind anymore...

Hello, so I am in the market for a shelter mainly used for sheep hunting in Alberta. I have stayed in buddies 2 man free standing pole style tent and it was TIGHT with our packs/rifles in it with us. So I have wanting to buy my own tent as I am planning some solo scouting and hunting trips. I have been looking at the seek outside tipi style shelters mainly the Cimarron I know it is big but would be nice to have the extra room if a buddy tags along. The things I like about the tipi style. The option of a stove and a nest if needed. I am worried how these style
of tents handle the wind tho?? I would like to try and camp high in the alpine area this year vs hiking up and down every day so the wind is bad up up there usually and the foot print is large so I am thinking it might be hard to find a flat area that of that size in the mountains... Does anyone have experience with these for sheep hunting? And what would ever one recommend I buy ?

I think you’d be pretty hard-pressed to beat the mid style shelters (assuming that it’s a properly built one with the sufficient number of appropriately placed guy lines), in regards to surviving heavy winds. There are many very well built mids available these days with “the best one” being a matter of opinion. Seek Outside, Mountain Laurel Designs, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, and Locus Gear to name a few, are all excellent manufacturers of mid style shelters in multiple sizes and fabrics. I would suggest starting there and determining exactly how much money you want to spend, what type of material you want it made of, and how big you want it to be.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I think you’d be pretty hard-pressed to beat the mid style shelters (assuming that it’s a properly built one with the sufficient number of appropriately placed guy lines), in regards to surviving heavy winds. There are many very well built mids available these days with “the best one” being a matter of opinion. Seek Outside, Mountain Laurel Designs, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, and Locus Gear to name a few, are all excellent manufacturers of mid style shelters in multiple sizes and fabrics. I would suggest starting there and determining exactly how much money you want to spend, what type of material you want it made of, and how big you want it to be.

Thanks for the reply back! Does anyone have experience using the lil bug out tent from seek outside in the mountains? I am looking for a solo tent that could be used with 2 guys if needed and I am wondering if the silvertip or the lil bug out would be the best for sheep hunting conditions

Thanks

The LBO is a very capable, storm worthy little shelter for 2 people. I bought one when they first started making them, and used it quite a bit before discovering DCF. I mainly just used it as a solo shelter but I did spend a few nights in it with one of my bigger (6’5”), hunting buddies, and we had plenty of room. Here's a little video clip, on Kodiak, at the tail end of a storm.

Last edited:

emohns8

FNG

Love my Cimarron, also from Alberta, and have used it in some pretty high winds above treeline. As long as its tied out well and you pick a wise location it should be good for you. Also love being able to use a stove with the cold weather we can get in Alberta. Goodluck this fall!

Cheers

Jimss

WKR
I've always liked a floor to keep my stuff clean, dry, and secure. I have a 3 person Hilleberg Nallo that's worked great for hunting Alaska plus Wyo and Colorado. It has a giant vestibule that works great for gear plus cooking. I've also used just the fly alone with painters plastic floor when I want to go super light.

cdohtodd

FNG
I’ve used my Kuiu 2 man on several sheep hunts for me and my gear. Easy set up, no problem with winds. Prefer having floor

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 tents, not just for sheep hunting:
Tarptent Notch - Awesome light weight tent that uses your trekking poles or some branches/saplings for support. 2 small vestibules, and good in moderate wind (<40 mph). Would not use in snow loads over 3"

Hilleberg Unna - Pretty much bombproof with great length and could be used for 2, no vestible, and it can flap a bit in big wind. Also heavy/requires a lot of stakes.

Seek Outside Cimmaron - Awesome room, no floor, and tall profile for wind. Pretty heavy with the titanium stove, but super nice in the evenings and mornings. Use this one for later seasons, and not on exposed slopes

RnnHntr

FNG
I am using a TarpTent StratoSpire I, which is a one man, or two VERY close friends tent with the inner tent, but would be fine for two using just the outer shell. It has dual vestibules so you could cook in one and store gear in the other. I use my trekking poles as the tent poles to save weight, and yet it is easy to take them out or put them back if you want to keep it set up for several days. All in, it weighs right around two pounds. So far I have used it for five nights, and it has been very comfortable for one person.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Is there a tipi style with a floor in it. I would like to get used to packing, setting up and using. However down here where I'm at theres too many slithery things and bugs to not have an enclosed sleeping space

sam hill

FNG
Having spent a few nights in an older Sierra Designs Flashlight Bear burrito tent, pulled the trigger on a
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3. Plenty of room for 2 people plus gear and still light enough for backpacking. Worked great for our 12 day Sheep hunt in early August. If I was to hunt in late season,
would definitely go with a Hilleberg.

Stid2677

WKR
I have been using floorless shelters for about 10 years now. The Kifaru Sawtooth being my favorite. I like how fast I can set it up or take it down, tons of room, can wear my boots inside, flesh capes inside, enjoy the stove, stand to get dressed,, etc..... Bugs have not really been an issue, I keep my sleeping bag in a lightweight, waterproof, 4 oz bivy with bug screen. When ready to move out, I use the shelter to protect the items in my pack from the rain by stuffing the sawtooth into my pack and cover all the contents in the pack,, last in, first out.

Sheep%2020132_zpsmsx5pksw.jpg

Tarps and Cuben fiber works well too.

P8140070_zpsuvkibcbv.jpg

I started another thread to this effect, but it may fit well here. Does the foot print of some of the larger shelters, MLD Supermid, pose a problem for pitching it in the high country say in the Alaska Range? AK Troutbum, any experience in the Alaska Range? What is the largest shelter you would get?