Worst Rifles

49ereric

WKR
Remington 742 aluminum receivers wore badly but fixable.
unless you only used Remington ammo,powder made the difference to slow a powder and action slammed back to hard.
I have a 742 in 6mm (second hand cheap enough) that works fine but rarely used it cuz it doesn’t like 100 grain bullet. Never tried an 85 grain.
the receiver on mine is wavy but never felt the needed to stone it flat cuz not going to use it much. Might get it converted to a pump someday.

dad had a 742 in 243 that was junky.

mossberg 4x4 in 270 I got from a buddy horrible trigger and disgusting mossberg licensed scope, 1895 trapper (remlin) that had a floppy trigger and rough edges an finally my remington 700 police in a magpul stock (wouldn't group well with any federal gold medal match)

java

FNG
It pains me, as I get nostalgic, but I had a Model 70 FW in .270 that just wouldn't group with anything. I'd occasionally get a little better than 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with Fed Premium Sierra GK, but that was a rarity. Most of the time it was a 2-3 MOA rifle. Replaced it with a T3X and never looked back.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Christensen mesa. Sent back twice for new barrels, each time sent a digital target of submoa accuracy. Tried the exact ammo they used and couldn't get inside 3 inches.

Threw out everything but the action and the bolt and it's basically a custom rifle now...

nobody

WKR
Howa 1500 7 Rem Mag. Good thing I got a deal on it when I got it, means I didn't lose as much when I sent it down the road. Never would shoot tighter than about 2" groups, and to do that was some WORK.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Care to elaborate on why you'll never buy a Christensen? I've been seriously considering a Ridgeline or Mesa.
Inconsistent accuracy, horrible remington style action with tons of bolt slop/stick, don't like carbon barrels, horribly loud muzzle break that blows dirt into your face if you actually use your rifle more than on a bench, stock ergonomics and overall rifle balance on free handed shots...

Worst fit/finish: Christensen Ridgeline- owned two, both had terrible 'bedding', which was also smeared all over the barrel and receiver, inletting was aweful as was the fit of the receiver/barrel/brake... but they shot reasonably well with factory ammo.

Worst Accuracy: Win Model 70 Classic 7 Rem Mag-- could not get rifle to shoot from the factory, minute of a dinner plate at 100y, rebarreled to 338wm (PacNor) and it shot well then.

Worst Recoil/Overall: Kimber 280ai Classic-- not sure if it was the shape of the stock or what but this rifle seemed to pack a punch all for medicore accuracy.

Any savage edge/axis and I had a beautiful win m70 in 280. Wouldn’t shoot better than about 1.5”. Finally sent it down the road.

KenLee

WKR
I would agree. But this is no ordinary rifle - I joined the army with my best friend back in 2005 - his family was like my own and treated me the same. His dad taught me how to deer and squirrel hunt as a matter of fact. Just before we joined, my buddy’s dad bought the then “new” Browning BAR and that got all of us talking about our favorite rifles and what we would buy if money were no object. My friend tragically died in a car accident at the age of 20 just before deploying to some secret hell hole in the Middle East. About a year later my friends dad gives me a gift certificate to cabelas and tells me they’re holding a browning a-bolt white gold medallion and he had bought me a leupold vx3 to go with. All stainless and matching everything. Best looking rifle I own. It’s a 6.5lb 300wsm that kicks like a mule and won’t group less than 1.5” with everything I’ve shot out of it, which is about 10 different types of ammo. So you see, it’s not something I can just send down the road. It will stay in my safe and hopefully my children’s safes and so on. It looks good in the safe though, promise you that
Buy a Limbsaver model 10002 direct fit pad.
If you haven't already tried them, I'd buy Corelocts and a box of blue box Federals. Many times, I've seen both make bad shooting rifles into half to 3/4 moa shooters.
Worst case scenario, felt recoil is 30% less and I'd use it hunting is some sport that my longest shot opportunity is 150-200 yards.
I love 300wsm Browning bolts.
Don't have one in white gold a-bolt, but my 270wsm white gold shoots nice.

KenLee

WKR
Winchester 70 Shadow in 7mm WSM. i had it out again last night trying a diff powder and bullet combination. Its me against it and its winning. I am just too stupid or too stubborn to send it down the road. Ive put enough powder and bullets down it to pay for another barrel. I've tried three different scopes and two kinds of bases. Its latest trick is to put two very close together to give you hope and then throw one. I can hear it laughing at me from the safe even now..........:)
I'd stop at 2 each time and claim to have won!

KenLee

WKR
I may second the Remington 7400. I recently bought one in near perfect condition in .270 and I already don’t care for it and I haven’t even fired it yet! As far as I know, it’s a perfectly functioning and accurate rifle but one trip to the workbench for cleaning has convinced me that it’s way too complicated. There are several pins (one very small) that have to be drifted out in order to clean the gun. It’s very easy to end up marring the gun just trying to get it apart for cleaning. Ask me how I know :( Also, who thinks that a plastic dust cover is a good idea? The only positive thing I can say, thus far, is that it is a very pretty gun, which is probably the real reason I made the mistake of buying it.
You could probably fill 2 dump trucks with the deer my late wife killed with her 7400 in 270. My brother is using it now. Its been apart once in 35 years and has never jammed.

Remington 770 in 30-06. Biggest POS I've ever handled and shot. Would rather have a scoped savage axis package.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk