Wyoming general elk grizzly story

I am hunting Grizz territory next year in WY. Outfitter asked if I had a 44, I said yes. Talked to another guide buddy and he suggested a 10 mm Glock for the 15 rounds...got me thinking maybe 6 isn't enough.

wyosam

WKR
How much trouble with the delisting of wolves and all the back and forth on grizz would you get in to for shooting a grizz on your elk that isn’t charging you? Say WY or ID MT

All the trouble. Assuming you report it that way, or they investigate and find that to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
I am hunting Grizz territory next year in WY. Outfitter asked if I had a 44, I said yes. Talked to another guide buddy and he suggested a 10 mm Glock for the 15 rounds...got me thinking maybe 6 isn't enough.

I carry a 10 when packing meat, but realistically carry what you’re used to. Realistically you’re going to get off a shot or two.

The guides comment was he likes the ability to fire a few shots into the air or ground if a Grizzley appears aggressive to scare them off knowing he still has quite a few left. Opposed to only 3 -4....

jmez

WKR
Isn't it against the law to try to recover an animal that a grizzly bear has claimed in WY and MT?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Great elk. Can only imagine the amount of adrenaline after spotting the grizz on the carcass.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
Isn't it against the law to try to recover an animal that a grizzly bear has claimed in WY and MT?

I believe it is in Wyoming. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it being enforced though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
elkocd

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider

Not sure if it is illegal, but I know you should never try it. I've never actually heard of someone trying to get any meat off an elk that has already been claimed. That would seem foolish. In our case the elk had already been completely processed and all the meat bagged and hung away,

The FS does want to know if the bear got any of your meat. They actually stopped by our camp to talk about bears, not knowing my story yet. I told them what had happened and that was one of the 1st questions if the bear had got any meat(other than the boned out carcass).

Wow. That’s pretty wild. I have yet to have an encounter and certainly am not going to go out of my way to have one! Nice bull!

jmez

WKR
I looked through the WY regs and it isn't in them. On their bear awareness flyer it says that if a grizzly claims your animal just leave and contact game and fish. Nothing about a law though.

On MT's awesome website, :rolleyes:, I couldn't even find the general hunting regulations so not sure there.

I have a client that took a bull back from a bear in the Bob. He guides in there and shot a bull just over 350 a few years ago. Said he wasn't leaving an animal like that for a bear. He had pics on his cell phone, he took if from the bear and the bear was not happy about it. Guy has some stones! I'd also say he's an idiot.

Wow, good for you for making all the right decisions to save the meat and get it out! A lot of people wouldn’t, especially in that situation.

Mikido

WKR
Damn good bull! I have a good idea what area you were in. Me and a buddy were discussing it last week. Congrats on a nice bull and im glad you and your dad got out safely!
Great bull

Baddog

WKR
I don’t hunt in grizzly country but what about building a fire while breaking it down.? Think a fire adds any deterrent to them or they care less?