Wyoming Taskforce - Comment Period

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
I know there were a couple of threads floating around here regarding the Wyoming 90/10 split for the big 5, as well as the allotment for outfitter-only tags. There is a comment period open right now until July 1st regarding these new changes.

Not sure how much pull our input would have, but it never hurts to speak up.

Here’s the link:

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
As a non-resident who might hunt Wyoming, my feelings are the state wants me to pay as much as possible while harvesting as little big game as possible. Any thoughts I provide to the state can and will be used to my disadvantage, not to my benefit.

The idea that it "never hurts to speak up" applies in this situation about the same as it applies to someone being arrested who does not have a lawyer.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Im not sure how voicing dismay about the potential outfitter-only allocations could be used against non residents, but maybe im looking at it from a short-sighted view.

I feel like speaking up is always better than doing nothing. To each their own though.

Bighorner

WKR
As a non-resident who might hunt Wyoming, my feelings are the state wants me to pay as much as possible while harvesting as little big game as possible. Any thoughts I provide to the state can and will be used to my disadvantage, not to my benefit.

The idea that it "never hurts to speak up" applies in this situation about the same as it applies to someone being arrested who does not have a lawyer.

In all honesty it takes 30 seconds to comment. Slightly more than what it took for you to write that post. Might take 5 minutes if you want to write a well written response with proper though and grammar. Or you can just stay quiet and let someone else speak for you.

Sy with WOGA is supposedly speaking on your behalf, maybe you should tell what you think and cc the rest of the TF.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
While you are probably correct, apathy towards the situation will all but guarantee a negative outcome for non-residents. I think the 90/10 split is basically a sure thing, but maybe if enough people voice some dismay about the WOGA allocation who knows what the outcome could be. But I can assure you that doing nothing is the least likely way to change anything regarding these initiatives.

Im sure this whole ordeal has left a bad taste in everyone’s mouths. But like bighorner said, it’s five minutes of your time. After seeing all of the conversations in the recent past regarding these initiatives, I’m surprised so many folks think think a simple comment section is too much commitment.

Bighorner

WKR
I will also say there is a lot of push back from residents on this. I think a lot of people are mad about the handouts. I don't know how many people are taking the time to actually write in, but more people that do the more chance there is of putting a stop to it.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Thanks for the link. I spent too much time on my reply and let them have it. I know my response probably won’t even be read, but I feel better submitting it.

They sure are throwing out some crazy ideas. Seems like they are trying to take a bit of every states rules and applying them to Wyoming. I’ll say it again, if you’re going to bend over non residents at least end the point system! No points, no point squared, just straight random draw. Everyone has the same chance.

When 90-10 goes through there will be no point in buying points, as you’ll never catch creep in any area. Because of this even the worst general regions will take a ridiculous amount of points to draw.

jmez

WKR
Here is the agenda for their next meeting. Decide whether or not it is worth you time to comment. They aren't interested in NR's other than those using guides. Residents would like NR"s help in opening up more public land and in keeping outfitters in check. Don't piss down my back and then tell me its raining. My guess is they are now particularly concerned with 3d below. You sleep in the bed that you make.

1. Resident hunters are frustrated with limited licenses, access, and overall opportunities to hunt.
What policies might sustainably increase resident sportsmen’s opportunities for the big 5 (moose, sheep, grizzly, goat, and bison)?

a. License allocations

b. Preference points and fees resident and non-resident, youth, waiting periods

c. Battling point creep

d. Resident/non License fees, draw dates, application dates and process

e. Mandatory harvest survey

1. Resident hunters are frustrated with limited licenses, access, and overall opportunities to hunt.
What policies might sustainably increase resident sportsmen’s opportunities for deer, elk and antelope?

a. License allocations

b. Points non-resident/resident and fees, youth

c. Waiting periods

d. Resident/non License fees, draw dates, application dates and process

e. Mandatory harvest survey

f. Quota splits and outfitter only draw

g. Left-over draw

h. Tagging simplification and education

i. Overall game numbers and health

j. Type 9 licenses in areas where resident general license and general archery hunting is allowed

k. Choose your weapon

1. Private landowners are stewards of the landscapes that provide critical habitat for Wyoming wildlife. Although these landowners may sometimes appreciate and benefit from the wildlife, wildlife can also have negative impacts on landowners’ livelihoods (depredation, forage lost, risk of disease transmission, etc.)
What policies and practices might support and incentivize private landowners as stewards of wildlife habitat?

a. Access to and/or via privately owned lands

b. Enhancing game numbers and herd health

c. Compensation (monetary or other benefits) for depredation, loss and/or habitat improvement

d. Landowner license including the structure, distribution, transfer etc.

e. Landowner license issuance

f. Setting herd objectives

g. Trespass issues

1. In addition to being fellow sportsmen themselves, outfitters and their guests bring economic benefits to the state (license fees, tourism industry and related jobs, etc.) and have a vested interest in the wellbeing of Wyoming wildlife.
What policies might support outfitters and their guests to maximize the benefits to Wyoming’s economy and wildlife?

a. Turkey outfitting

b. Nonresidents who have a tag but no place to hunt

c. Nonresident requirements to hire outfitters hunting in wilderness --> see #3 below

d. Regulation of guided fishing boats

e. Fishing outfitters board

1. Commissioners’ licenses hold a “special” place in Wyoming. Concerns exist as to the allocation of these licenses.
How might the distribution of commissioners licenses be improved to better serve state priorities?

1. Wildlife health and abundance necessitates strong and thoughtful management.
How might management schemes and methods be improved to better serve Wyoming residents (humans and wildlife) ?

a. Mule deer management

b. Elk numbers

c. Elk area regionalization

d. Predators

1. Other important topics are relevant to wildlife wellbeing.
What improvements in these other areas might help?

a. Long term stability ($+) of Game and Fish

b. Poaching and its punishment

c. Invasive species mitigation

d. Trapping and hiking safety

e. High water mark

f. Traffic deaths

g. Consider advancement of technology to preserve/maintain fair chase

h. Endangered Species Act

i. Non-residents who draw a tag and don’t have anywhere to use it.

Wydaho22

FNG
As a Wyoming resident, I’m saying no to all comments. Wyoming is one of the greatest states for providing outdoor activities including hunting for ALL. If it’s not broke didn’t fix it. Also, if anything needs to be fixed it’s access to public lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk