Starting from scratch, what would you buy first?

If you wear the UA for a couple of days you won't be able to stand your own stench and the smell doesn't completely wash out either in my experience. You don't have to buy the the first lite merino or anything to get the merino effect. The hunting specialty stuff comes in camo and has some nice cuts and is somewhat more durable but I have more closeout merino from STP that I bought on 40% off than anything. Join the email list and wait for 35% and 45% off codes and have your big order ready. Usually a pretty big minimum for the biggest discount.

Lots of good info here. I think outside of a tent/shelter I have the basics covered for now. Will be looking into MountainSmith or something similar until I can afford what I really would like to have (sawtooth/stove). Any feedback on Alps Mountaineering? They come up for good prices on sttepandcheap.com from time to time.

When it comes to the rest of the stuff you carry is there that one thing that you wish you would've gotten sooner? I understand the importance of good socks but are merino underwear day and night compared to under armour? Is the system you're using now for water purification more efficient/easier than what you did when starting out? I'm well aware that what works for you will not necessarily work for me and we all change things depending on the hunt but some things are universal.

I can't even wear my under armour for 2 days, while NOT hunting, without it starting to stink. It's great for around the house and while hunting locally, but I won't wear it for any extended trips away from home. Merino base layers and underwear will keep you more comfortable on your hunt, and will certainly minimize the smell of rotting ball sack.

I was in the same situation, with regards to gear selection, last year. Here is what I started with, and what I've aquired so far. I shopped around for everything that I've bought thus far, and have only paid full retail for one item (kifaru guide lid). If you have the time to spend searching for deals, you'll be able to save a lot of money on quality gear.

Kifaru DT1, 2 med pockets, and guide lid - pack and pockets came from the classifieds here for a pretty good deal.
Salamon Quest 4d GTX - found an awesome deal but they didn't have my size. Called zappos.com and they price matched it.
KUIU merino base layers, chugach rain set, attack pants, yukon gaiters and down vest - 25% off on black friday
Thermarest neoair x-therm - found the large size discounted during 4th of July
MSR Reactor 1.0L - Heavily discounted during 4th of July sales
Black Diamond Carbon Z-lite poles - brand new on ebay for half price
Sawyer mini
MSR Dromlite 4L

The DIY forum on here has also saved me a lot of money. There is a ton of information on here about building your own gear. I'm in the process of building something similar to the mega tarp, and just got all the supplies needed to build a quilt using climashield apex 5.0. This past month or so, I've been making silnylon pullouts, stuff sacks, and meat bags. I was terrible at sewing when I first started, but I've built up my confidence with the little projects. My biggest concern is the shelter, and if mine doesn't workout, I plan on picking up a mountainsmith mountain shelter LT in the classifieds as backup. I've still got a few miscellaneous pieces to pick up, but I hope to have my gear list finalized in the next few months so I can let the roksliders tear it apart before my hunt.

Sorry for rambling, but this just goes to show that with a little patience and dedication, the buy once cry once attitude can still apply to those on a budget.

I think boots and a comfy pack are probably top 2 on my list.

But don't fret if you don't have top end equipment for awhile, most of us here started out using lower quality gear -- we had fun hunting (not as comfortably) but still were able to get out and enjoy the outdoors. So don't skip time in the outdoors because you don't have all the top items.

I usually only upgraded 1-2 big items per year and over the course of a few years was able to improve on all my equipment.

judging from what you have now- shelter.

the problem with a shelter is your desires and needs may and likely will change. still, it is a looooong term investment. dont skimp.

the only reason to buy cheap now is to try to get by or try a new type of shelter. dont do it.get, what you want.

synthetic under wear is synthetic under wear. no big deal. under armor is good but it is the biggest hoax ever to the American hunter. unless you like wool. i use both and consider wool outerwear extremely important.

i used to boil or filer now i use tablets. but if you filter get a gravity feed basecamp. [never be without backup]

Totally dependent on the hypothetical financial situation.... I'm a huge believer in buy once cry once. That said, I certainly wouldn't miss seasons in the field just to wait and accumulate top shelf gear. I'd look at my budget and make sure I allotted enough to get ALL the essentials first. Then I'd start picking certain items to buy top shelf first before my budget is met. Boots, Weapon, Pack are the top 3 for me. Next would be a good layering system clothing. Then shelter and sleep system. From there everything is a luxury honestly for the upgraded lighter items.

the only thing left from my first elk hunt is my rifle.

the one thing i really wish i had got sooner is a pack. yea the tent collapsed in the snow [twice in two years] but all the sore shoulders i could have done with out.

the 19 dollar tasco shot 12 elk, 2 moose, 2 bou, and a deer, and my leupolds would not have shot one more critter.

and the rubber rain gear............and rubber boots.........wow

Over the last 10 yrs I made a lot of good purchases and happy with most everything. The biggest place I made mistakes was on boots and packs. I think these are the two most important pieces of gear for extended backcountry time.

If your pack sucks your time out there can be a real pain. If your boots suck you might be coming home early.

Boots. I could do a few days with a $100 pack and a few more if I haul in a cache. Good boots are a must.

Good boots, good backpack. They make the biggest difference in getting around the mountain.

Unfortunately, I think finding the right boot is a bit of a trail and error for each person. Lots of good boots out there, but finding the one that fits your foot the best usually takes a few tries.

Would you start out top dollar or would a few hundred get you into something that would last a couple seasons or more and allow you pick up another piece. Then upgrade down the line?

I think a "few hundred" should get you into a quality shelter, especially if you go used. I would read some of the info on shelters on this site thne look for a deal on one. Depending on your taste, that should keep you well within budget.

As mentioned multiple times............boots that your feet like are a must. Don't just go off what everyone else says is the greatest. I'd almost guarantee that my feet have different needs than yours. Boot fit is based on the individual. I know some of the shoes and boots out there make my feet hurt as soon as I slide my feet into them, and that isn't just the cheap ones.

Back