Anyone else that can’t road run?

mtbraun

FNG
There's "cant" road run, and "choose not to" road run. No one "cannot" road run. IMO, road running does elevate repetitive use injury risk, but if taking the proper precautions like mixing up terrain (road and trail) and a very disciplined approach to strength training, road running can be a very useful part of your training.

I took 15 years off running for family and career. When starting back up again it took almost a year to work through all the pain points (hips, feet, etc.).

Most running injuries are attributed to road running but I don't believe that's true. At least that's not been the case with me. It's more likely due to poor biomechanics and lack of focus on specific strength to avoid injury from running. For example, anterior pelvic tilt will lead to a host of injuries. Most people that sit at a desk all day long have anterior pelvic tilt. Most people don't focus on correcting this and instead blame running.

twall13

WKR
There's "cant" road run, and "choose not to" road run. No one "cannot" road run.

Most running injuries are attributed to road running but I don't believe that's true. At least that's not been the case with me. It's more likely due to poor biomechanics and lack of focus on specific strength to avoid injury from running. For example, anterior pelvic tilt will lead to a host of injuries. Most people that sit at a desk all day long have anterior pelvic tilt. Most people don't focus on correcting this and instead blame running.
Count me in the choose not to road run category then. I still do it a few times a year as I prefer it to the treadmill and I can't always be on a trail, but I don't do it regularly.

As far as your claims that people blame injuries on road running when it might be other issues, that may be true, but I know for me all of those issues went away when I started trail running and got off the pavement. I still sit at a desk and likely have bad posture, but my knee pain, foot pain, etc. went away and I started logging more miles once I started trail running. I do agree that proper running form is essential, but I think that's true regardless of the surface you are running on.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as your claims that people blame injuries on road running when it might be other issues, that may be true, but I know for me all of those issues went away when I started trail running and got off the pavement.

Similar story, but kind of opposite sequences. I started running trails first, odd I know :). After a couple of years of exclusively running trails, I was forced to run pavement for a couple of weeks attending a law enforcement academy. Well I wasn't forced, but if I wanted to run it was pavement.

Those two weeks caused all kinds of problems for me; problems magically disappeared when I got home back on the trails.

I think mixing in some judicious road running shouldn't be a huge problem for most folks, but for me if I can avoid it- I will.

mtbraun

FNG
Those two weeks caused all kinds of problems for me; problems magically disappeared when I got home back on the trails.

Makes sense to me. When I rapidly switched from road to trail in preparation for a race, I battled all kinds of foot and hip issues. Turns out it was the smaller stabilizer muscles in my feet and hips not used to running on uneven terrain. Took a few months to work through it, but eventually turned out just fine. I currently run 75/25 trail-road, that mix seems to be about right for me. The biggest reason I don't like road running is the complete lack of scenery and the ambient distractions.

WKR
I won’t road run. I don’t like it and I see no need. I trail run and even that is always a mix of walking and running. If I’m on a trail, I can keep my heart rate in the aerobic training zone even while walking.

If I don’t have time to get to a trail, I’ll go to the track. But I keep that short and sweet. I can’t stand endless laps, so it’s usually six laps max: one walking, four running easy to brisk, and the final one backpedaling. I go both ways and use the outside lane part of the time.

Although I do like to put some quick surges, sometimes even true sprints, into my trail runs/walks, I don’t see the need for the average person to do high intensity interval training at the track.

WKR
I was a competitive 1/2 mile, mile, and cross country runner in my ill-spent youth. Two knee scopes later and woke up 64 the other day. Have cycled and only run a short distance on grass for 30 years.
I always said if I spoke to a high school track team I would preach "NEVER run on hard surfaces and buy the best cushion shoes out there".
Soft tissue just flat wears out. Stupidest thing going in our society is road runs, marathons on the street etc. The orthopedic surgeons must chuckle.
I stopped half a lifetime ago to preserve my body to do what I love. Heading back to the mountains this fall to live out of a 40lb pack for 10 days.
Oh and PS....same goes with heavy power lifting. My brother and 2 of my friends are all busted up and suffering from years of macho heavy lifting. cartilage just won't stand it.
Read this you young guys....worst thing is when wisdom comes too late in life.
Sage advice right there.

Anyone else that has given up on road running (hard or paved surfaces) because it’s just to uncomfortable? Not that I’ve ever been a huge runner but now that I’m almost 50 , I can just feel it in my joints and hips and don’t like it. I can treadmill run without a problem and hiking and walking are fine, even with a ruck/weighted pack, and weight training and KB work goes great… sometimes I get stubborn and try to rip out a few miles on the pavement and always regret it lol

Same here. Hard pavement hurts my joints. I will be 48 this year. Rowing, treadmill, elliptical, stair climber and stadium work all seem like better options.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I ran trails but my ankles hated me. I run road and gravel County roads with good runners that fit my style of running. Have no issues.

I have access to miles and miles of river trails through very well maintained so no random potholes to kill my big ass 😆

Rzbck32

FNG
Anyone else that has given up on road running (hard or paved surfaces) because it’s just to uncomfortable? Not that I’ve ever been a huge runner but now that I’m almost 50 , I can just feel it in my joints and hips and don’t like it. I can treadmill run without a problem and hiking and walking are fine, even with a ruck/weighted pack, and weight training and KB work goes great… sometimes I get stubborn and try to rip out a few miles on the pavement and always regret it lol
Stationary bike and swimming are alternatives to pounding the pavement. Much easier on the joints.

WKR
I ran trails but my ankles hated me.
If that works for you, that's all that counts. But if trail running bothered my ankles, I'd feel like I needed to strengthen them and try to adapt. After all, I'm going to be hunting high and steep, so I need to do something for adaptation and stability.

I don't hunt on asphalt or gravel roads, unless it's with the front bumper incidentally.

WKR
Stationary bike and swimming are alternatives to pounding the pavement. Much easier on the joints.
That's true, but I guess I answered the question from a backcountry hunting perspective, not a general health and fitness perspective.

Stationary bike is something I'd do to warmup before strength training and swimming is something I'd do on days off for recovery and enjoyment.

Think running in general over time depending on how often you do it can take its toll on your knees/joints. Treadmill running for me is just boring, I need to be going places. I run paved roads in the summer but definitely watch my top knot with all the morons driving out there. Just like anything comes down to balance/moderation.

Rzbck32

FNG
That's true, but I guess I answered the question from a backcountry hunting perspective, not a general health and fitness perspective.

Stationary bike is something I'd do to warmup before strength training and swimming is something I'd do on days off for recovery and enjoyment.
You might be surprised what a stationary bike and some zone 2 work would do for hunting fitness. It definitely isn’t the only thing you should be doing but a good option for improving overall fitness. Anything to make those heavy and long miles easier.

maya

FNG
I only run when chased. Walking gets the job done. Especially when you introduce an 30lb ruck to some elevation gain. Slow, simple, effective.

Teaman1

WKR
Question for the people who attribute knee/back issues to past running. How far, how long, and how often were your running sessions?
I ask because I’m starting to run again, but I won’t go more than 3 miles

1jeds

FNG
I'll offer a counter view - I run ~100 miles per week on roads when training for marathons, and a little more volume for my first ultra on trails this year. I'll be around 90 miles this week on the road.

It was said earlier in this thread but most injuries can be attributed to doing too much too fast, lack of specific strength, or both. Our muscles can adapt quickly, but it takes much longer for our tendons and ligaments to strengthen. Go slower than you think you should, and do a combination of walking/jogging if needed. A lot of folks need to feel like they worked out, so they end up pushing harder than they should starting out.

Strength training is important and just downright fun to throw some weight around. It's also important to help imbalances that lead to injuries.

For me I don't view it as exercise or a chore, even though there are plenty of days I don't feel like heading out at 5am. The solitude at that time of day, the fresh air, and time to myself before the crazy day gets going is worth it. That can be achieved through other methods, but the barrier to entry is low - just need to throw on some shoes and go.

mtbraun

FNG
I'll offer a counter view - I run ~100 miles per week on roads when training for marathons, and a little more volume for my first ultra on trails this year. I'll be around 90 miles this week on the road.

It was said earlier in this thread but most injuries can be attributed to doing too much too fast, lack of specific strength, or both. Our muscles can adapt quickly, but it takes much longer for our tendons and ligaments to strengthen. Go slower than you think you should, and do a combination of walking/jogging if needed. A lot of folks need to feel like they worked out, so they end up pushing harder than they should starting out.

Strength training is important and just downright fun to throw some weight around. It's also important to help imbalances that lead to injuries.

For me I don't view it as exercise or a chore, even though there are plenty of days I don't feel like heading out at 5am. The solitude at that time of day, the fresh air, and time to myself before the crazy day gets going is worth it. That can be achieved through other methods, but the barrier to entry is low - just need to throw on some shoes and go.
I agree with everything you said, but understand you are an exception. That's an exceptionally high mileage amount, road or trails. I'm guessing if you had a running analysis done, your biomechanics would be nearly flawless. Biomechanics play a huge role in injury prevention especially at higher mileage levels. I average about 60 miles a week as a mix of road and trails with 2x/week strength training.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Don't tear up your joints for something that you probably don't even enjoy!

Like a few guys mentioned, you'll get more aerobic benefit from rucking 10-30% of your bodyweight and its so much more pleasant than sucking air while you run. Your workouts should improve your quality of life, not make your joints ache!