Appalachian slam

22lr

WKR
I can't say that doesn't sound like a fun time! But, I've been spoiled by hunting with no ticks...

How long do you think it will take?

Wvroach

WKR
Yeah 13 states would be a challenge for sure but I'm sure it's doable, I think you could in every state except maybe maryland and I'm not sure about new york.

Bear hunting without baits in the hard woods of the Appalachian mtns in each state would be hard for sure.

I know md va and wv are very prohibitive on baiting I can't speak for the other states.

Maybe another one you could do would be whitetail, turkey, bear and a hog. Just one of each would be a bit easier to accomplish but still a challenge, throw in osceola turkey and sika to spice it up some.

Though sika isn't in the range but in a state within the range* not sure on osceola if they get that far in alabama or georgia or not?

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I hadn’t thought about turkey. Ill
Add that. So far I’m finding they all have a bear season but I really need to nail that down. As far for how long it will take. Im
Not sure. I could possibly knock out 3 this year. So maybe a while. It’s always interested me.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
If you can get bear in 3 different Appalachian states in the mountains without dogs in one year, you may be the world's best hunter!
I can tell you I am NOT that good. It’s just a goal and I’m just stubborn enough to think it’s doable. I will finish it eventually but it may take a bit.

Many states have overlapping bear and deer seasons, especially in archery. If you have the time, those would be the best dates to target. I live in PA, and I know if I ever kill a buck and a bear in the same week or season even in archery season in the mountains, I will be on Cloud 9 for years.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I know it’s very difficult. Ours overlap in North Carolina. I’m starting to study the states to see how it all lines up. I hate to say it out loud but I can believe how affordable the tags are on the east coast it. A deer tag in Maine is 75 for non-resident.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Drawing a bear tag in maryland is going to be tough, very very limited tags. If you can get a tag it should be one of the easier states to get a bear

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Drawing a bear tag in maryland is going to be tough, very very limited tags. If you can get a tag it should be one of the easier states to get a bear

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. I continue to strike out on all my out west plans. Something always comes up. This will work in my favor because my dad is trying to finish the AT now that he is retiring. This gives me the chance to travel with him. I can hunt and he can hike or hunt and I’m not constantly worried about him.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. I continue to strike out on all my out west plans. Something always comes up. This will work in my favor because my dad is trying to finish the AT now that he is retiring. This gives me the chance to travel with him. I can hunt and he can hike or hunt and I’m not constantly worried about him.
They went from 800 to 950 tags in 2020 but it's a fairly low odds lottery, I think it's a 4 day season but the amount of bears I've seen when deer and turkey hunting western MD they are plenty plentiful.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Ill start looking into while I’m on vacation. It’s probably the same odds I have at drawing a Kentucky elk tag. Which I put in for every year. Lol

They went from 800 to 950 tags in 2020 but it's a fairly low odds lottery, I think it's a 4 day season but the amount of bears I've seen when deer and turkey hunting western MD they are plenty plentiful.

Bear season is tough in md, tags have gone up over the years but success rates are low and I’m pretty confident the ones tagging bears have a little bait out (illegally) or else have a private farm with corn. I’ve hunted western md my whole life and with the terrain it would be a huge challenge. Doable yes but tough. Best wishes... I like the idea of buck, turkey bear

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
It is for sure going to be tough. It will be a heck of an adventure too. I’ve been trying to nail down the states with bear seasons

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’m sure it will be time consuming. I love to hunt the Appalachians. I thinks it’s all very challenging considering the terrain and density. I think mature mountain deer and bears are like playing chess with Bobby Fischer

I'm pretty certain success rate hovers around 7%-8%. The tag allows others to be added. I think it's around 1900 hunters for the 900 tags and around 130-150 harvest.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I'm pretty certain success rate hovers around 7%-8%. The tag allows others to be added. I think it's around 1900 hunters for the 900 tags and around 130-150 harvest.
That is horrible odds. Now I really want to do it. Lol