Blackhorn 209 hang fires

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve tried 3 different types of primers and keep getting hang fires on primer wouldn’t even set fire to it I noticed they have it in a black label at cabelas and the one I bought has a orange label is there any difference on these Blackhorn powders shooting a knight bighorn with 209 conversion just seems to not want the powder any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
How hard are you guys seating your bullets wondering if that is my issue

Is your breach plug made for Blackhorn? I can't remember of Knight has one specific for it like some other companies. Are you using the primers recommended by Blackhorn?

Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

CCI 209M
Federal 209A

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this, You need a Tight Fitting Bullet, it requires a fair amount of Compression to Reliably ignite it. I personally will NEVER Trust, or Mess with this Crap again, After watching 2 Bullets Poop out the Barrel and Roll down the Rd in front of me, from the Primer ONLY, They Can STUFF this Blackhorn 209 FIRMLY up their @ss 👍

BH209 Does NOT Work for my Style of Bench/Target Shooting. I Shoot 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wads, And “Bore Riding” Bullets that Slide down the Bore with the Weight of the Ramrod alone, I don’t Push on my Loading Rod at all.

What amazes me is that a 209 Shotgun Primer can Go off, Straight Through this Stuff and NOT set it off??? My Real Blackpowder (Swiss) is IMMEDIATE ignition, Just like a Centerfire, And it doesn’t matter if there is Compression, or ZERO Compression, it goes off IMMEDIATELY EVERYTIME.

Last edited:
I disagree. I can easily load my Thore bullets with min force and I have not had one single misfire with BH209. My bullets load so easily I get a little nervous and check the seating periodically while hunting. No issues though.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree. I can easily load my Thore bullets with min force and I have not had one single misfire with BH209. My bullets load so easily I get a little nervous and check the seating periodically while hunting. No issues though.

Disagree all you want, I had it happen 2 times, Both bullets Were Spit out of the Barrel by the Primer ONLY, and Rolled down the Rd in front of me! For MY PERSONAL application BH209 is NOT worth the Match i will use to light this Can of it on Fire, Probably take 2 Matches to get it to Burn? LOL, JOKE!!

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
You didn't say how you know with certainty it is the bullet seating that caused it.

I don’t know for certain? That is going from Western powders Website, and others that have experience using it, and Good luck with BH209, I take it they know what they are talking about?

One thing i know for ABSOLUTE Certain, BH209 Does NOT Reliably ignite for me with my Loose “Bore Riding” Bullets and Wool Felt Over Powder Wads

ENCORE

WKR
When using BH, I size my land riding bullets to load with one hand. The force is exactly 19#. I don't just push the bullet down until I feel the propellant, I seat the bullet on the propellant, one handed.
I've been shooting it in various rifles since it became available and not once, not a single time, have I ever had a miss fire or hang fire with many thousands of rounds fired.
Its not for every rifle, nor is it for every shooter.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Its not for every rifle, nor is it for every shooter.

This is an ABSOLUTE FACT!!

More power to the Guy’s that Use, and Swear By it! Confidence in your Gear is a MAJOR piece in this Puzzle 👍

I will do a Video on this SOON (I actually started it today) You can watch me Dump the Powder Charge, Seat the Wad, Then Bullet, And Watch it NOT Go off!! How’s that for Confidence? I already know it wont Go off, I will do the Video LIVE, No stop n go’s, Just load and “Try” to shoot.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I am really proving NOTHING though, Blackhorn Tells you this on their Website. I was brand new to it, I didn’t understand it? After the Issues i had, i came home and Started Studying, The First Person i spoke to is Sabotloader, He giggled and said “YEP, BH Requires Compression To Reliably ignite” Mike DEFINITELY Know’s what he is doing!! His Word was enough for me to Know that i was DONE with BH209, But I decided to Dig a little more, It is clearly stated on Western Powders Website.

ENCORE

WKR
I was going to say, the video isn't needed. Honestly, for every miss/hang fire that could be videoed, 50K or more could video it going off perfectly.

Instead of me going back and reading all your posts here, are you using "ramrod weight" to seat target bullets only, or do you seat your hunting bullets like that?

As we know, ALL blackpowder is an explosive, and it will ignite with the slightest of spark/flame. However a bullet that slips from off black powder, especially a ways down the bore isn't a good thing at ignition.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Used the cci 209 magnums today but just kinda pushed the bullet till it stoped didn’t try and cram it in very hard they are Thor bullets about 15# of pressure to push down the barrel I’m wondering if it is the breech plug that won’t light it right

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to say, the video isn't needed. Honestly, for every miss/hang fire that could be videoed, 50K or more could video it going off perfectly.

Instead of me going back and reading all your posts here, are you using "ramrod weight" to seat target bullets only, or do you seat your hunting bullets like that?

As we know, ALL blackpowder is an explosive, and it will ignite with the slightest of spark/flame. However a bullet that slips from off black powder, especially a ways down the bore isn't a good thing at ignition.

Yes Ramrod weight ONLY, I just barely Push on the Bullet when it hits the Wool Wad. I load my Target loads like Lee Shaver’s, and Dave Gullo advised me to (Both are WORLD Champions)

Like i said, BH209 Does NOT work for MY Target/Bench Application, PLAIN N SIMPLE, are my feelings hurt? NOT AT ALL!! But when someone asks a Question about BH209 Hangfires, I Share my personal, hands on experience with it.

My Hunting loads are COMPLETELY different than my Target Loads, They load TIGHT, REALLY Tight! Tighter than most prefer. The Way i Target/Bench Load, and Hunt Load my Rifles is NIGHT N DAY different. BH209 would probably function Flawless with my Hunting loads? But FACT is I will never know, as i will never mess with it again.

Real Blackpowder (Swiss 2F) Works FLAWLESS EVERYTIME with Both my Target, and Hunting Loads. I am not one to fix something that isn’t Broken

ENCORE

WKR
Used the cci 209 magnums today but just kinda pushed the bullet till it stoped didn’t try and cram it in very hard they are Thor bullets about 15# of pressure to push down the barrel I’m wondering if it is the breech plug that won’t light it right

Plunger style rifles, specifically the Bighorn that you're shooting, shouldn't be used with BH and it is a well known issue. Although you have the 209 conversion, its not really a safe propellant in that rifle. There has been some bad things happen to others.
The CCI209M primers, with the proper breech plug, in a rifle capable to shoot BH, should ignite it every time.

As for the plunger style rifles...…...

plunger guns.jpg

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Is there anything cleaner than 777 that you would recommend was just wanting to shoot something no so dirty but I may have to I guess

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I Second ENCORE, I would NOT use BH209 (even if it worked) in a Plunger Gun. It is not recommended.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Is there anything cleaner than 777 that you would recommend was just wanting to shoot something no so dirty but I may have to I guess

I don’t think you will find much Cleaner than Triple Seven? I use Real Blackpowder (Swiss 2F) I hear folks talk about it being Cleaner than other powders? That is NOT true! At least that I’ve Found, and i shoot MANY pounds of it a Year. Swiss is Just as NASTY as the other Stuff, But i find it to be the Most Accurate Powder i have ever used, and i trust it 110%

The little bit i used Triple 7 I actually liked it, it was Accurate, Consistent powder. The Problem came when using 209s, The Crud Ring after 209s was REALLY HARSH, But wasn’t to Bad with No. 11 Percussion Caps.

ENCORE

WKR

They're all dirty to some extent or another and some worse than others. If the rifle is shoot T7 well, then stick with it. T7 is the least dirty compared to Pyrodex.
I will recommend some help with cleaning/swabbing with T7. I have found nothing better than Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. I used it exclusively with my Ultimate BP Xpress with HEAVY charges of T7. I could clean the barrel with 5 patches, send a lubed patch down the bore and it was done.
Swabbing should be done with...…. EVER SO SLIGHTLY …. DAMP patches and not wet patches of Butch's. Run a patch down the bore, up and down a couple times, turn it over and repeat.

Now for the cleanliness of BH...…… IMO only...… I don't care if I scrub my barrel clean of every microscopic bit of lubricant, run I don't care how many patches of alcohol down it, or any other product or procedure before shooting. It takes me 3 times the patches to clean the bore vs T7. Its also a PITA to clean a brake, or at least it was until I found the answer for that.