Fat Guy Weekly Weigh In.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I did keto for a long time but iwas still hungry and it was unsustainable for me with a family and young child i.e. cooking multiple different meals at once got expensive and hard.

I don't think keto is effective if you do high volume cardio like long trail runs, road rides and mountain bike rides. You can argue all you want that it is, but for me, it isnt. I burn a lot of calories and im hungry.

From the items I've learned, I would point this toward understanding how to train to what your body type is naturally: ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff guys. Very motivational for me. Ive lost 40 lbs. since December 10th. Now at 247 lbs. today.
Im 6 3" and always been a big guy. Looking to loose 20 more, I feel great already.
Watching what I eat, cutting the carbs for me is everything, and meal planning for each day.

renagde

WKR
I did keto for a long time but iwas still hungry and it was unsustainable for me with a family and young child i.e. cooking multiple different meals at once got expensive and hard.

I dont think keto is effective if you do high volume cardio like long trail runs, road rides and mountain bike rides. You can argue all you want that it is, but for me, it isnt. I burn a lot of calories and im hungry.

I agree with you. One single diet is never effective for everyone. All I know is that I'm happy with the way my body is responding, the weight loss and the amount of energy I have. I'm only doing strength training and limited amounts of cardio, but as soon as spring finally comes out be stretching out the legs while continuing my strength training. We'll see how my body fairs then.

started at 265 last August - down to 228, been stuck there for a couple of weeks, goal is 220 I'm 6-2. . been controlling calorie intake and macros with my fitness pal app, not a low carb diet, but definitely a "lower" carb diet. 200g a day of protein. Lifting hard - squat, DL, Bench, Overhead press, or some combination of those 3 days a week, cardio (rower, elliptical, or hiking with the dog - 2 to 3 days a week. worked well so far.

*zap*

WKR
I have no trouble keeping an aggressive free weight program going but then by adding in cardio, then stretching, now adding in swimming and looking at the yoga class schedule today....so the frequency of everything goes down. Which gets frustrating.....but at an older age all I can do is keep consistency going even if frequency is not what I would like it too be. Seems to me that good nutrition and rest is very important even if taking days off is not what I would prefer.
I will say that even with decreased frequency I am seeing small regular gains at everything which is gratifying even if it is not at the rate I would prefer it too be at.
I have been focusing on hip area strength (abductors below the groin, lower core and the loborum muscle group in the lower back) and that certainly has been debilitating but that area is definitely getting stronger.

A word of advice to the younger folks: keep fit because you do not want to be 'getting' fit at an older age if your not willing for it to take a few years and that will really vary with your definition of 'fit'.

Another thing to bear in mind is that 'weigh in' can vary quite a bit with your level of hydration. Look at your water consumption vs sweat equity...

I have no trouble keeping an aggressive free weight program going but then by adding in cardio, then stretching, now adding in swimming and looking at the yoga class schedule today....so the frequency of everything goes down. Which gets frustrating.....but at an older age all I can do is keep consistency going even if frequency is not what I would like it too be. Seems to me that good nutrition and rest is very important even if taking days off is not what I would prefer.
I will say that even with decreased frequency I am seeing small regular gains at everything which is gratifying even if it is not at the rate I would prefer it too be at.
I have been focusing on hip area strength (abductors below the groin, lower core and the loborum muscle group in the lower back) and that certainly has been debilitating but that area is definitely getting stronger.

A word of advice to the younger folks: keep fit because you do not want to be 'getting' fit at an older age if your not willing for it to take a few years and that will really vary with your definition of 'fit'.

Another thing to bear in mind is that 'weigh in' can vary quite a bit with your level of hydration. Look at your water consumption vs sweat equity...

This right here is a great description of how things are when older. Heed this you younger guys. I’m back lifting for a couple of months now and at 61it’s taken a while to come to the obvious conclusion that I’ll never again lift like I did in college. Now I’m not stupid, I kinda knew it but when those weights get in your hands the competitive mind pushes, sometimes too hard. Also, the rest part is important, as stated. When I got back to getting in shape I wanted to be there yesterday, not sometime far in the future. I had to actually fight myself to rest and accept the small gains in both strength and now weight loss. My mind is coming around, but being stubborn, it’s coming around slowly.

Willie IV

FNG
I'm joining in! 44 years old - 5'11" and weighed 250 this past Monday. The heaviest I've ever been. Need to get back to 210. Cardio 3-5 days per week and logging my nutrition is my plan. Slow and steady. I've got a mule deer hunt in WY this September as my motivator!!

fatlander

WKR
Former fat guy here:

5’ 10” was 235 two years ago

178 on the scale at the gym yesterday. I hover around 180 now, give or take 5 pounds.

I still intermittent fast during the work week and I get about 30 miles of cardio in a week.

Being hungry and sore sucks. Being fat and sucking wind sucks worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Former fat guy here:

5’ 10” was 235 two years ago

178 on the scale at the gym yesterday. I hover around 180 now, give or take 5 pounds.

I still intermittent fast during the work week and I get about 30 miles of cardio in a week.

Being hungry and sore sucks. Being fat and sucking wind sucks worse.

Intermittent fasting was the extra edge for me. How do you do it?

You guys that are successful with low carb (keto), keep it up. Don't worry about people telling you it's unsustainable, or you can't perform cardio on it. I've been doing it 4 years. I've ran marathons, do intense HIIT workouts, and even wrestle with high school kids that I coach. I stay the same weight all year, and never balloon up. All my blood tests come back excellent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
You guys that are successful with low carb (keto), keep it up. Don't worry about people telling you it's unsustainable, or you can't perform cardio on it. I've been doing it 4 years. I've ran marathons, do intense HIIT workouts, and even wrestle with high school kids that I coach. I stay the same weight all year, and never balloon up. All my blood tests come back excellent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Couldn’t have said it better. Things being unsustainable typically have more to do with an unsupportive group of people around you than your own decisions. You get what you tolerate.

jmcd22

WKR
Any room for someone going the opposite direction? 6'2 175...looking to get up to 185-190 for hunting season. I normally concentrate on cardio leading up to September but as my dad ages and as his arthritis gets worse, I want to be able to manage a lot more of the workload so he can just worry about getting into the areas we go to.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be 50 this fall and getting old blows! Very athletic all through high school and college but lately I'm stiff all the time. Herniated a disc in my back last fall and it's finally coming around. I weighed in last May 1st at 175 and now at 155. 5'7" and would like to be 150 but it ain't easy! Low carb and mostly meat for me. I don't do much straight cardio, I'm just a Dairy Farmer that works all day every day! I'm hoping the stiffness goes away with the winter weather!

fatlander

WKR
Intermittent fasting was the extra edge for me. How do you do it?

I skip breakfast, eat a really late lunch and an early dinner. Usually I eat around 1400 then again around 1800. That’s what works for me during the work week. On the weekends I eat three square meals. I usually carb up Friday night because I do a long run every Saturday.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I skip breakfast, eat a really late lunch and an early dinner. Usually I eat around 1400 then again around 1800. That’s what works for me during the work week. On the weekends I eat three square meals. I usually carb up Friday night because I do a long run every Saturday.

That's great to know! That's basically identical to how a trainer down here set me up. I've never had such control of my weight but what has shocked me is the strength I can put on now. That 18-20hr fast is where all the magic happens.

Fatcamp

WKR
Any room for someone going the opposite direction? 6'2 175...looking to get up to 185-190 for hunting season. I normally concentrate on cardio leading up to September but as my dad ages and as his arthritis gets worse, I want to be able to manage a lot more of the workload so he can just worry about getting into the areas we go to.

5/3/1
GOMAD
Wake up at midnight and eat chicken.