How many rounds do you carry?

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
On a backpack hunt where weight can be an issue, how many rounds of annunition do you guys tend to carry? Obviously you would hope that just one would do the trick, but sometimes things don't go as planned, as we all know.

Dcoryn

FNG
I like to shoot, so if I was venturing away from the truck for a night or more id feel a whole lot more comfortable with a full box of shells. Even if im just day hunting I normally carry a full gun and enough to fill it again. I tend to stash one extra in my bino harness or another pocket just in case haha

Usually 7-8 total rounds between gun and pack. That could change depending on distance back to the truck. I’d carry more on a fly in hunt or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
10 plus what the rifle holds, usually 14-15 total. I feel this gives enough for most hunting situation where I have multiple tags and a little extra for the hike back in case Mr. Brown decides he wants the meat. On longer hunts (10 days+) or hunts where plane travel is involved I just take 20 to have a little extra for zero confirmation or whatever situations may arise. I'd rather have them and not need them than the other way around.

JWP58

WKR
One 5rd mag, and one 3rd mag. If I'm going to be away from resupply for a couple of days I usually toss a few loose rods in my pack hip belt pocket.

While doing ADC work on a ranch in AZ I stumbled upon 30+ illegals in a culvert and drew my Glock as they began to encircle me. They looked like characters from the Michael Jackson Thriller video...bug-eyed and dirty and kinda crazy. In retrospect I suspect they were thirsty and afraid but in that moment I wished my Glock had a 31rd mag. Something to consider depending on where you are hunting. No laughing matter in No. Calif. when the grower's pitbulls come charging at you.

https://stream.org/mexican-cartel-kills-california-hunters-national-park-turned-marijuana-haven/

In my rifle I carry 3-4 rds with an equal number in a pocket.

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
300 Win Mag: 3 in the magazine, 3-4 more in the side pocket of my bino harness. Basically the same for my 6.5CM, but I have two mags (1 - 5 shot, 1 - 4 shot). I always have at least a full box or two back at the truck if "something" happens. 99% of my trips end with no more than 2 shots fired. The sad majority of those with no shots fired at all.

OP
Call.me.porter

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
A 3 and a 4 round mag. Sometimes I just take the 4 round mag. I also have 15 rounds of 10mm on me on top of the rifle ammo.
I'm still debating if I am going to pack my G20. My wife will be up North at my grandma's and plans to do some hunting herself while she is there, and there has been a fair show of grizzlies in the area so I would almost rather she had it for herself. Otherwise I'll probably wind up packing my little AMT Backup .45.