If you could move anywhere?

Blandry

WKR
Same here. 22 years as a Fed and I'm REALLY looking forward to retirement.
On the Gulf now, hoping to convince my wife to head to the hills in a few years.

I spent 15 years in new braunfels, tx working out of the Austin office so offshore fishing out of port lavaca in the summers, local bass fishing, and world class private ranch whitetail hunting in Starr and Webb counties every year. I just got tired of paying $5k-$10k year land leases. Then the green energy windmills came and the good leases dried up. I knew it was time to go so when the Denver position opened I packed and ran lol. Love the mountains and the snow. I’m here to stay for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I have a good 10 to 12 years of hunting left and a couple of young bird dogs that will hopefully hang around for the last ride with me. When their gone, I might just retire from hunting, sell everything and move to the beach. Getting old sucks but if I can sit by the ocean and suck down a cold beer....I'll get by.

I have a good 10 to 12 years of hunting left and a couple of young bird dogs that will hopefully hang around for the last ride with me. When their gone, I might just retire from hunting, sell everything and move to the beach. Getting old sucks but if I can sit by the ocean and suck down a cold beer....I'll get by.

This I like!

FLATHEAD

WKR
Not gonna lie, it's good down here.....except through the Summer - Absolutely Brutal.
Need a shower after going to the mailbox.
My wife loves the beach but for me it only exists for fishing.
About to get right down here, past few mornings been in the lower 60's,
But the Mtns. are always calling me.

Wags

WKR
After CA migrates to ID/MT/WY, CA might just be the place to be!

If CA had Wyomings policies and politics CA would be really high on people's places to live. The winters in the valley are far better than those in Casper. Not to mention all the outdoor activities it offers. The general deer hunting isn't great & turkeys on public is hard but otherwise the opportunities pretty endless. Too bad the Dems are hell bent on ruining this state. I truly believe the policies are in place to encourage conservatives to leave so there's less opposition. So far, it's working.

Dunndm

WKR
If CA had Wyomings policies and politics CA would be really high on people's places to live. The winters in the valley are far better than those in Casper. Not to mention all the outdoor activities it offers. The general deer hunting isn't great & turkeys on public is hard but otherwise the opportunities pretty endless. Too bad the Dems are hell bent on ruining this state. I truly believe the policies are in place to encourage conservatives to leave so there's less opposition. So far, it's working.

I’m moving back to Ca after a couple years away. I Heard it’s getting worse, but for once I’m not buying. So if it’s really that bad I’ll just leave again. I like change anyway haha

bohntr

WKR
I did just what you are thinking about doing in 2018…..except I retired. I left the communist state of Kali and chose the white mountains of Arizona. Main reason was the four seasons (home built at 7100’ elevation) and the Bowhunting opportunities. Since 2018 I’ve drawn two bull elk tags, trophy antelope tag, deer tags every year, Turkey tags every year, bear and lion tags every year, and Javelina tags every year. Additionally, I’ve been able to fish the numerous high mountain lakes for trout, Grayling, walleye, and pike. Elk in my field daily……but it SUCKS here……simply terrible. I would pick Utah! 😎

Last edited:

Ront

FNG
My wife, 2 boys and I are moving out west. We currently live in Ohio and want to experience everything life has to offer. We are avid outdoorsmen that love to hunt and fish. My wife loves hiking and enjoying the outdoors. We are currently set on Utah right now but we're not sure that is where we need to be. We have been contemplating Montana or Wyoming. So my question is, For a conservative family with 2 boys looking to move west where would you recommend? What State or even towns? My boys also enjoy sports such as baseball and football. Thanks.
Move to Iowa - no doubt about it.

Mojave

WKR
Yeah I hear ya. I’m a fed employee and work in Denver so I just figured I’d make the drive back and forth to WY the few times a month I have to get to an office. I’ll have to do more research and make my decision whether to make the move up there.

I will looking at this as another federal employee and every time I think about it I get stuck in traffic in Denver for three hours and then it kind of loses its shine. So I don’t really apply for jobs in Denver thinking that I’m gonna live in Wyoming anymore. Maybe if the job was in Fort Collins you could work it out.

Wyoming or New Mexico.
I’m in New Mexico and while we enjoy the public land. The health care here is like 48th in the country with education like 50th.
Also Albuquerque and Sante Fe control the vote with the population. Very blue state. Been tough coming from Texas

My in-laws have a condo in Hawaii and the more they talk about it the more I wonder if it may be one of the few places I would be willing to leave here for. It may just be the allure of the unknown and the "tropical" nature of the place but still. I also love water, and my wife and kids do as well. I do think however we would miss our regular Saturday ski trips. So I guess the only answer is a remote job and Summer in Hawaii and Winters in Idaho.
Nope don't do it. Swamp ass yearround, Price of groceries is insane, homeless and tourists everywhere,schools are poor, public land hunting is pounded and sucks, ocean is filled with sharks that want to eat you, shoreline reefs are barren of fish, your vote doesn't matter, you have to register your firearms, limited gun ranges, no careers (unless you want to be a waiter for the rest of your life), any travel is expensive, rent housing costs are nuts. List goes on lol

Wife and I have been investigating retirement locations for about 5 years now. Every summer we've taken a week to spend somewhere. Last year we drove a 5k mile loop from TX to UT,ID,OR,WA,MT,WY and then back to TX. This year we went back to an area I once lived in New England and it's just as nice as I remembered it. Not much has changed there in almost 40 years.

At the moment, SW Colorado and SW Oregon are in the running. Both have good fishing as well as mountains. Parts of New England (NH and ME) are in the running too. We have 4 years to decide.

WKR
If I was in family raising mode again, think I'd try Sheridan, WY. Colorado got stupid expensive the last 5 years. And the politics have turned shall we say odd.

Here's a out of left field answer. Want to hunt 365 days a year? Hike mountains as high as 10k? Fish ocean and hang out on the beach? Hawaii.
A close friend of mine lives there and I'm starting to think he might be in the better state.
This. You can hunt the Axis deer all day every day, you have the outdoors, hiking, the great weather, etc... The biggest downside is the cost of living, and the fact that you'd probably be living in a 1200 sq. ft. house and paying 600k for it, LOL!