If you could only have 1 rimfire rifle

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
With the advent of NRL 22 and 22 PRS style matches, some went a bit crazy. I think over last two years we’ve shot every modern bolt and semi auto that’s been mentioned for far.

All were shot at 50 yards for three 10 round groups with every single type of .22 ammo brownells carries. Yes every one.
None of the semi autos can hang. The best were some tricked out $2-3k 10/22’s that averaged around .7” for 30 shots. Regular 10/22’s were at best 1” for 30 shots... Amd not consistent at that. The CZ Tactical models were in the .6-.7” with specific ammo. Far and away the best has been Vudoo and Tikka T1x.

$3k Vudoo- .31” average.
E04240C7-C4F7-4673-A872-2D67E7220BF9.jpeg

$400 Tikka- .43”

6D036F9F-41C0-4FEF-889A-22D1D5D3DFE4.jpeg

The Vudoo is stupid. Without question they are the most precise mag fed .22’s on the market. Across multiples of each, Vudoos will consistently go .3-.4” at 50 yards for 10 rounds groups, and they shoot just about all ammo decently. With multiple Tikka T1x’s, they will average right at .4-.5” for 10 round groups at 50 yards. They shoot almost all ammo decently, and good ammo excellently. With specific ammo (SK Standard Plus, Lapua Center X) they are nearly as good as the Vudoo and some guns are as good- or at least as close as can be measured.

Given all the other attributes of the T1x, it would really take a seriously good reason to buy something else.

blktail74

FNG
Savage 17 HMR. Hot little round with plenty of accuracy. Perfect squirrel gun especially if you get the bull barrel

I love my T1X. 50 yards with SK Standard+. All 10 round groups. Back to back about as quick as I could load the magazine.

b1bc81b933570229ae48d0229f5b3a0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
If I could only have one rimfire it would be my factory Ruger 10/22. These things eat every type and quality of bullet to be found, are plenty accurate for plinking or small game hunting.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
10-22 was my first real gun, and I still probably shoot it more than any of the rest. I've never cleaned it, and I'm afraid to because it's so accurate! Buying one for my middle son's birthday. I am seriously considering getting a Tikka... because I love Tikkas!

I'm no expert by any means but I have been very pleased with my Ruger 10/22 Backpacker. Currently have a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 which is a bit overkill but a lot of fun when plinking.

npm352

WKR
I'd find a nice bolt .22LR. I have an old Marlin 880SQ which is a sweet tack driver. I have a Savage 17hmr, which I thought would be great for longer shots at squirrels, but it blows them up bad and I like eating tree rats.

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I've bought all of my kids a10/22 and they all love them. I am a big fan as well.

jlpruitt

FNG
If you’re wanting a do-all rim fire then I’d say you can’t go wrong with a .22 mag. My preferred rimfires are CZ hands down.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Marlin Model 39A Mountie with a scope. Wait, that's currently the only rimfire rifle I have. Given to me by my Dad. One I'll NEVER part with

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
39 Mountie with a peep is a lot of fun. Loaded with shorts more often than not. T1x is on the short list of toys to check out, though. If they made it in stainless, I’d order one instantly, sight unseen.

Oh, this is an easy answer....
Rifle: Vudoo 22 LR
Ammo: Lapua Center-X
Stock: Manners EH1 (same as hunting rifles)
Trigger: TriggerTech Primary (same as hunting rifles)
Optic: NightForce 4-16x50 ATACR (hunting rifles)

A rimfire rifle that is practically identical to my hunting rifles. They’re all setup the same.....

Use the rimfire scaling tool (excel spreadsheet) that allows you to input the drop/drift of your 22LR and your hunting rifle....which then gives you the scaled distances that can be used for practicing shots from field positions. For example; you want to shoot the equivalent of 600 yards at an 8” target with your hunting rifle. So, you run the scaling tool and see that you need to be shooting at 150 yards at a 2” target with your 22LR. Now go out and shoot from various positions - prone, from your pack, off a tripod (sitting, kneeling and standing), from tree branches, rocks etc. Shoot from any positions that you could see yourself using while hunting. Also, shoot in the WIND.

If we’re talking one rimfire rifle, this’d be it....a hunting rifle trainer. Also, while your at it, combine it with a hunting centerfire trainer. Again same stock, trigger and scope, in a mild recoiling rifle with longish barrel life. Then hunt with a shoulder cannon (same stock, trigger and scope).

From my perspective, if the goal is to be a precision rifleman who is a lethal and competent hunter, you’re not going to get there by shooting 20-30 rounds a year. You gotta train. A rimfire trainer combined with a centerfire trainer is a step in the right direction.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Have to go with my 10-22. Not fancy and probably not a very good 100 yarder, but it's accurate and it was my first gun....35 years ago!