If you could only have 1 rimfire rifle

LaHunter

WKR
Hey Roksliders,

I'm looking to get my be all, end all rimfire rifle. I'm leaning toward 22lr but whiling to hear other ideas.

Ideally, this gun will be for squirrels and rabbits and other small game. I'd like to be able to reach 100 yards comfortably. I'm not too into customizing my guns and don't plan on going the chassis route. Just a rifle and scope recommendation is what i'm looking for. I could see adding a bi-pod too.

Currently, the Tikka TX1 in 22LR is my first choice as I've got a T3 Lite SS in .308 and I really like it. Not sure where to even begin scope-wise.

If you could only run 1 rimfire gun and scope, what would it be?
The Tikka TX1 gets good reviews on rimfire forums. The newer CZ457 also gets good reviews. There are several different configurations of the CZ457, based on barrel length & wt along with different stocks. For squirrels, a 22lr in either one of these would be a great choice. I have a Remington 541t 22lr that shoots really well. If you can find one of these for sale, they are great squirrel rifles.

Incahoots

FNG
Mine would be an Anshultz on a 54 action. My second choice would be an Anshultz on a 64 action. Anshultz is all about serious accuracy and has been the dominant rifle in almost every small bore competition format. Nothing compares to them in out of box accuracy.

My ruger 10/22 with a bipod on it and a cheap tasco with a little Kentucky windage ive been able to shoot quite accurately at 100 yards. With that said I’d go with either the tikka t1x or a ruger precision 22 lr if you absolutely hate the thought of a chassis then I’d say the ruger American rim fire again in 22 lr

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shocked noone has really mentioned savage. I bought a mark II g on a whim for $200 a while back and love that thing. Haven't put a scope on it yet so I can't tell you exactly how accurate it is but it impressed me with the irons at 100

My Marlin model 18 pump, that was handed down to me through several generations dating back to the late 1800’s, from when my great grandfather bought it at the age of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Roksliders,

I'm looking to get my be all, end all rimfire rifle. I'm leaning toward 22lr but whiling to hear other ideas.

Ideally, this gun will be for squirrels and rabbits and other small game. I'd like to be able to reach 100 yards comfortably. I'm not too into customizing my guns and don't plan on going the chassis route. Just a rifle and scope recommendation is what i'm looking for. I could see adding a bi-pod too.

Currently, the Tikka TX1 in 22LR is my first choice as I've got a T3 Lite SS in .308 and I really like it. Not sure where to even begin scope-wise.

If you could only run 1 rimfire gun and scope, what would it be?

The new CZ 457 would be my choice. You have a wide range of stock options and barrel contours. They shoot lights out and paired with any leupold variable power scope will be a killer rig.

My second option would be the Bergara BXR or bolt gun.

I have both CZ and Bergara. The BXR is a 10/22 type clone and the accuracy is unreal. Both of these guns at 50 yards will put 10 shots inside a nickel.

Trial153

WKR
Where can you find one? I let one get away years ago and kicked myself ever since.

I sold an original sporter I had, I have a reproduction that they made. I bought two at the time. Gave one to my dad, and kept one. I also have barreled action that had plans with that I never did anything with though. I have couple buddies that would take off me in a heart beat.

Trial153

WKR
I sold an original sporter I had, I have a reproduction that they made. I bought two at the time. Gave one to my dad, and kept one. I also have barreled action that had plans with that I never did anything with though. I have couple buddies that would take off me in a heart beat.
685081903c63a5f732e6ee27e67fb99f.jpg

B23

WKR
Even though they're kind of an odd design and I had to do a couple things to it so it wasn't quite so fugly I've grown quite fond of my HB SS Bmag 17 WSM and the 17 WSM definitely hits harder at all ranges, especially past 100 yds, than all the other rimfires. Never mind that big SAS 338 Vengeance can on there I was just messing around it's not the one it usually has screwed on the end.
Bmag338can.png

MTtrout

WKR
I’ve been impressed with my T1x, from CCI copper to bulk ammo, it hits the mark. Fun to shoot with a Leupold 4x on top. Although, nothings like shooting rabbits and squirrels with my old Marlin bolt action with iron sights...

TheGDog

WKR
.17 HMR~!! After using a .17 HMR, you'll wonder why would anyone bother with using a .22 LR ever again?

Mine is just Savage 93R17 w/ the Bull Barrel. Was $249. Put on a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40mm. Slapped a Hunterspec buttstock pad/ammo-caddy thing and it raised my cheek-weld just right.

I shot this one rabbit freehand at 60yds, so I aimed a lil more into the body down from the front shoulders just for some insurance to make sure I'd hit it....OMG... it literally completely gutted the rabbit and split him open and even split open his pelvis too! Must have come in juuust below the diaphragm... poor little guy was trying to crawl away with his fronts so then had to follow up with one more once up close.

@80yds, ranged, off Kwik Stix I hit an old 12ga cartridge off a downed log.

Furthest Ground Squirrel kill to date has been 104yds.

For me with those Hornady 15.5gr NTX's it's laserbeam precise! The only limiting factor is you and just how steady you can hold it and how smoothly you can actuate the trigger. The lovely AccuTrigger!

Skip the .22 LR, go right for the .17 HMR and don't look back. Then get ready to watch Rabbits do backflips when ya headshot 'em!

Shingi

FNG
T1x and the new cz457 isn’t too bad. On days when I’m really focus and low wind you might get luck and do sub moas

I've got a Marlin Model 39A that was made in the 1950's that I wouldn't sell for any amount of money, too much history. I have simi-retired it only because my wife bought me a Ruger M77/22 in .22 mag, it has a little more range and a little more thump and is an absolute tack driver.