Netflix favorites?

OP
roosiebull
I think it was on prime, but mayor of Kingstown was the last one we watched and it was good, started out with me not being sure, but it actually got good after a couple of episodes, another produced by the Yellowstone producers, and like Yellowstone, the cast made the show.

OP
roosiebull
Longmire.
Justified.

Both older shows. I have no idea if they are on Netdix or something else. I'm not a big TV watcher. My wife is, though, and both of those series got me hooked.
Older is perfectly fine with me, I haven’t seen most of them mentioned here, I don’t watch a lot of tv, but when I do, it’s usually crime documentaries, I appreciate how good many of those detectives are at their jobs, to me it’s a lot more impressive than sport’s considering what’s at stake when they go to work… pretty much have watched everything there is to watch in that genre.

We don’t have any cable/satellite at our other house and I’ll be staying up there all summer after next week.

When Netflix canceled Chapelle, I canceled Netflix. Haven't missed it.

RANT: They use a formula for their popular shows that plays on sexual, thrill seaking, and violent instincts. Nothing wrong with that, but it got to the point of such obvious emotional manipulation in each episode that I started to feel like an E1 at the strip club, and Netflix shows were the hoe strippers. I'm way past warrant officer age. At that point I decided I needed to get more of that type of stimulation from real life. So it was easy to cancel Netflix.

I consider even the slightest need for vicarious thrills a strong warning that real life is passing me by. Not surprisingly, more sex, hunting, hiking, dirt bike riding, surfing, etc., and even just boring exercise, dramatically reduced my desire to binge watch any shows.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
What are your favorite Netflix series? Or paramount plus/prime… I like watching tv at night before bed, and am about done with a sleeper that got me hooked.

Narcos Mexico is what I have been watching, turned it on for background noise because it’s based on a true story… mostly subtitles, but it hooked me, pretty insane piece of history (80’s and 90’s) but it’s as if it was a created story line to keep suspense with constant plot twists, and it’s mind blowing that it’s based on a true story… I would have given up on it early if it was fiction, but since it wasn’t, one of the most interesting things I have ever watched on tv

I knew the cartel scene was crazy, but I had no idea how crazy it was

If you liked Narcos Mexico you would probably like the book Power of the Dog by Don Winslow. (it's not the recent western film)

Series I enjoyed:
Queen's Gambit- this really surprised me.
Mare of Easttown- not sure if this is Netflix.

gabenzeke

WKR
The chosen is pretty good if you are so inclined. Season one is on Netflix, but they have their own app that is free so you can watch all three seasons that are out so far.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We've been watching yellowjackets on paramount plus, it's pretty crazy. The last of us on HBO was really good too
Edit to add: we just finished beef on Netflix, didn't get into it really until the 2nd or 3rd episode but we ended up really liking it. It was well done for sure

Last edited:

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Believe it’s on prime, but I enjoyed The English. Western miniseries. A tough watch at times, good actors, great scenery.

Grundy53

WKR
I think it was on prime, but mayor of Kingstown was the last one we watched and it was good, started out with me not being sure, but it actually got good after a couple of episodes, another produced by the Yellowstone producers, and like Yellowstone, the cast made the show.
I think they have it on paramount plus also. Good show

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Peaky Blinders
Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul (if you haven't watched yet)
Started the Night Agent, good so far
The Last Kingdom but just read the books

Prime:
Man in the High Castle
The English (as stated above, pretty violent scenes including some rape)

I'm sure there's several that I have missed.

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoyed The Last Kingdom, just finished it up last week. Hate to hear the movie was terrible, was planning on watching it this weekend.

Series I've enjoyed in the last Couple years, most probably not on netflix:

Billions - (US Attorney vs Hedge fund manager)
Joe Pickett - (WY game warden vs corrupt govt/rich folk)
Dark Winds - (NM tribal police vs tribal members in scheme with corrupt FBI agent)
The Recruit - (Adventures of a new recruit in CIA)
Big Sky
Yellowstone
Dopesick - (Oxyconton epidemic w/ michael keaton as main character Dr involved)
Fire Country

..... Tiger king?

eric1115

WKR
I'm assuming from your description of what you've enjoyed, you've seen Manhunt. If not, put that at the top of your list. Season 1 was the Unabomber, season 2 was the Atlanta Olympics bombing. Both were very good, but season 1 was great.

I was pleasantly surprised by the night agent.

I also enjoyed the recruit more than I thought I would. Not amazing, but better than a lot of the crap Netflix has made recently.

On Prime/Paramount,
SEAL Team is one of my favorites.

Terminal List

Amazon's Jack Ryan series is fun, I liked seasons 1 and 3 quite a bit more than 2.

I enjoyed 1883 much more than Yellowstone; I don't think you need to have watched Yellowstone in order to enjoy it. 1923, not as good but still decent.

Another vote for Longmire and justified if you haven't seen those.

If you do other streaming services, Homeland is great, one of the best of that genre IMO. Worth paying for the subscription for a month or two.

There's a Waco miniseries on Showtime or Starz I think that was amazingly well done (did a great job of neither demonizing nor excusing Koresh, and didn't hold back on how the FBI and ATF dealt with it). Not to be mistaken for the bootlicking Netflix series by the same name.

I'm not a fan of gratuitous sexual content, and while there is some in a few of these it's a lot less than a lot of the other popular shows now.

Yoder

WKR
The Netflix documentary The Alpinist was really good

We just started watching a series called Jury Duty. It reminds me of the office. It's all actors except for one guy who thinks it's real. It's pretty funny. I can't remember what streaming service it's on.