NEW Kifaru Frame & Suspension Review

I have a little time before I leave for my hunt, but it would still be nice to get a tracking number soon.

lintond

WKR
Bag is loaded. Headed out Sunday morning for the maiden voyage of the duplex. Excited to compare it to my last two years using the bikini frame.

Shrek

WKR
I've been training for a few days now with the new frame anc it's amazing ! I get no slipping with the new lumbar pad , it sticks like glue. Usually I would have to adjust my old frame back up a couple of times before it would settle in but not this new frame. I just hiked 3 hours and only adjusted it once when I was leaving not 100' from my door and that was it. Another difference is it seems more comfortable with the slider for the lifters lower than on my gen 2. The sliders feel better a little below my collar bone instead of even with them. A little above 40lbs to a little lower as I sucked the water down on this hike. It's hot and muggy here and I look like I've been standing in a shower but the airflow on the back is great and it doesn't get hot and uncomfortable at all. Super happy I upgraded to the gen 3 frame. Really liking the new padding !

I feel the same way as Shrek. The new frame sticks like glue. The new softer pads on the back help contour but don't create any more heat or sweat than the old frame. Shoulder pads are nice and comfy but I kept my load lifter anchor in about the same spot. Haven't felt a need to move up or down yet. The 1/16th Hunter/UL frame feels flexible in the hand but held 100# in my cargo panel very well. Never felt like it wasn't as strong as the 1/8" Tactical (Gen2 duplex) model. Arrow shafts held the weight just fine. Played with a single and a double set of arrows and really couldn't tell a difference. Truly loving this new frame fellas. What a nice set of improvements!

Markdjr

FNG
I feel the same way as Shrek. The new frame sticks like glue. The new softer pads on the back help contour but don't create any more heat or sweat than the old frame. Shoulder pads are nice and comfy but I kept my load lifter anchor in about the same spot. Haven't felt a need to move up or down yet. The 1/16th Hunter/UL frame feels flexible in the hand but held 100# in my cargo panel very well. Never felt like it wasn't as strong as the 1/8" Tactical (Gen2 duplex) model. Arrow shafts held the weight just fine. Played with a single and a double set of arrows and really couldn't tell a difference. Truly loving this new frame fellas. What a nice set of improvements!

Which arrows are coming with the pack and what length? Id assume about any stiff arrow would work? Thanks.

Dot man's right. 200 spine in the length you requests. 22,24,26 etc.

I had some 300 spine X-Weave Pro shafts laying around and threw them in mine. Works like a champ.

Brendan

WKR
Here's a question for people with the new frame: How easy is it to swap bags? Similar to the existing Duplex? I might be looking to go back and forth between an EMRII and a Mountain Warrior depending on the use, leaving the guide lid in place.

Pretty jealous of everyone who has theirs. I still have a very outside chance of getting mine, it would need to ship 2 day on Tuesday. I had some other things split out and sent, but unfortunately they shipped ground so they won't make it either. Glad I still have my old pack, and the accessories weren't make or break items but I may try to have them rush ship me a couple small things Tuesday if possible...

Crazy fast swapping bags. Been swapping back and forth between my emrII and cargo panel doing trial packing runs and sand bag training. Quick detach load lifter straps, same tab loops on the sides, and same two common loops on the lower portion of the frame. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441563994.660171.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441564027.772801.jpg

Shrek

WKR
I tossed another full 10L Dromedary in the pack so I'm north of 60 lbs now and I can still load everything on the belt with nothing on my shoulders and there is no slip or sag in the belt. This pack is making me happier and happier the more I train with it. Bottoms of my feet weren't happier :)

7stw

WKR
I bit the bullet this morning and ordered a ultra light 26" and a dt2 bag and some pouches and pockets. Hope it fits better than my current setup. I carried 70ish lbs of meat out last fall helping some guys I'd bumped into and it felt like all the weight was on my collar bones pulling down. If the new one doesn't get here before I leave I'm taking an external frame to use to haul meat out. Thanks for the reviews guys I'm stoked for mine to get here.

dotman

WKR
I bit the bullet this morning and ordered a ultra light 26" and a dt2 bag and some pouches and pockets. Hope it fits better than my current setup. I carried 70ish lbs of meat out last fall helping some guys I'd bumped into and it felt like all the weight was on my collar bones pulling down. If the new one doesn't get here before I leave I'm taking an external frame to use to haul meat out. Thanks for the reviews guys I'm stoked for mine to get here.

Your current setup can't be adjusted properly if your having that problem.

7stw

WKR
Your current setup can't be adjusted properly if your having that problem.
. I've got a freakishly long torso I currently have a Kuiu icon (13 frame) I bought a new long icon pro and had the exact same issue as the other so I sold the new one and kept the '13 frame. I talked to Aron with kifaru this spring and he said to hold off as the new frames where about to come out so I did. I'm sure I won't have an issue with the new set up I ordered.

. I've got a freakishly long torso I currently have a Kuiu icon (13 frame) I bought a new long icon pro and had the exact same issue as the other so I sold the new one and kept the '13 frame. I talked to Aron with kifaru this spring and he said to hold off as the new frames where about to come out so I did. I'm sure I won't have an issue with the new set up I ordered.

Had the same problem with the Kuiu pro frame, except for me it was pulling back causing the front of my shoulder to hurt. Another option worth considering is that Kifaru has been known to custom make 28" frames for long torso freaks like us. Shrek has one. Might be worth talking to Aron about if you think you will need to go that high. For reference I am 6'5" with a 33" inseam and I think I am fine with the 26" but near the top limit.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
New duplex came home today! We head north for a week of caribou and moose hunting so just in time. Becca already claimed "my" new frame and has her EMR 2 on it. Something tells me I am gonna have to buy my own new one ;)

dotman

WKR
Oh yeah, talk to Shrek as they had to make him a custom frame sheet for his freakish torso. I also assumed your current setup was a Kifaru :)

When is the next batch due to ship out? My original ship date was 8/21, sent an email a week or so ago to see if they knew an approximate date, but never got a reply back.