NEW Kifaru Frame & Suspension Review

Tiger Rag

WKR
When is the next batch due to ship out? My original ship date was 8/21, sent an email a week or so ago to see if they knew an approximate date, but never got a reply back.
My original was 8/26. Frank told me possibly ship late this week If things went well, but the following otherwise. I'd guess yours would ship this week since you're a few days ahead of me.

New duplex came home today! We head north for a week of caribou and moose hunting so just in time. Becca already claimed "my" new frame and has her EMR 2 on it. Something tells me I am gonna have to buy my own new one ;)
Cutting straps off the packs already? ;)

Got the new Kifaru frame, here it is with two small belt pouches, two medium pouches mounted to the Cargo Panel, Guide Lid, a Gunbearer and Hydration Carrier. It is currently loaded with everything I would need hunting elk (3L water, raingear, a puffy, soft shell jacket, rain cover for pack, kill kit, game bags, paracord, lights, emergency supplies, Katadyne Hiker Pro, GPS, DeLorme Explorer, Trekking poles, sidearm, snacks, headlamp and 2 flashlights, spare batteries & TP. The dry bag holds everything i would need for a spike camp (tent, pad, EE quilt, Wiggy's pillew, Jetboil & food. While it is unlikely I will actually camp in the field, it's nice to know I have the option and can just sandwich the dry bag between the frame and Cargo Panel. Dry bag weighs 13lbs. Pack with 3 litres of water and all gear noted above weighs 17-18lbs (my scale fluctuates so it's probably somewhere in the middle). Overall I am please to see everytyhing fits with room leftover and the new frame sure is comfy and simple to adjust. Took me all of five minutes to get it just right. Pleased so far.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Went down to Kifaru today. Actually switched my order out to a Tactical Duplex new version. Super happy with it. I like the thicker Frame material. I also had Kifaru make me a size Marge Belt. I cant even explain how comfortable this pack is. The frame is epic the padding the craftsmanship. Its all really nice. I leave again for another week out on the 21st with Mrbillbrown coming out to experience his first ever Colorado Elk hunt. I feel like I could put him in this new pack and take him up the mountain =-). Will throw some photos up later. I love the Coyote Frame its so nice and the extra points are really nice to have in the tactical frame. Cant wait to pop some weight into the Timberline 2 and get out there.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Tactical Duplex with aluminum stays is 4 lbs 6 ounces with a medium belt. I took out the Aluminum stays and put in the arrows now Im at 3lbs 10 ounces. So running a tactical duplex Ultralight =-). Frame is much more comfortable for my flat back with the arrows over the Aluminum stays.

Manosteel

WKR
Am I the second customer to get the new duplex frame bloody? Got this brute last week during a sheep hunt turned impromptu moose hunt. Thankfully I got my frame, ulta light oval stove and other goodies a few days before my sheep hunt and boy was I happy and now thankfully.

The new frame is freakin AWESOME!. I routinely pack out extremely heavy loads every hunting season and this frame is it for that type of work!

I will be providing a more detailed review of the frame after my upcoming elk hunt but to put it simply this pack allows you to haul out a couple of big azz loads and go to work in the morning and continue you daily routine like you hadn't packed out more than 50lbs the evening before. Sure your muscles are sore but you aren't debilitated the next day.

I was hunting solo and I hauled out 2 loads in excess of 125 lbs each (called a couple of buddies who showed up a few hours later and each did a load out for me) which allowed me to get the meat out that night, sleep 2 hours and come back at first light to get the Cape and horns. Then head home and be back in the office the next day. Even with my Bikini frame, which I loved, I would be down for a day.

I have been a big supporter of Kifaru gear, they make some Fabulous shitz and treat their customers like long time buddies. But even for them, they one upped themselves with this frame.

They knocked this one out of the park!

Last edited:

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
I have to quite checking in on this thread, I haven't even packed anything out no my new to me older duplex. Reading comments like Manosteel's makes me think I have to have this new duplex. Congrats Manosteel.

JG358

WKR
Tactical Duplex with aluminum stays is 4 lbs 6 ounces with a medium belt. I took out the Aluminum stays and put in the arrows now Im at 3lbs 10 ounces. So running a tactical duplex Ultralight =-). Frame is much more comfortable for my flat back with the arrows over the Aluminum stays.

I went the same route only in a 22".

Last edited:
I love the Coyote Frame its so nice and the extra points are really nice to have in the tactical frame.
So for an extra pound (compared to the ultralight) you get 4 extra attachment points and double the thickness of a frame.

I really like the way the ultralight frame + arrows bends to my back. I'm guessing the tactical frame + arrows still has more bend than the old duplex w/ aluminum stays?

And BTW...not that Kifaru needs more work but I'm hoping for a 22" friendly top loading bag. I like the mountain rambler more on the ultralight frame (as opposed to my old G2 duplex), but I'm still not crazy about it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So for an extra pound (compared to the ultralight) you get 4 extra attachment points and double the thickness of a frame.

I really like the way the ultralight frame + arrows bends to my back. I'm guessing the tactical frame + arrows still has more bend than the old duplex w/ aluminum stays?

And BTW...not that Kifaru needs more work but I'm hoping for a 22" friendly top loading bag. I like the mountain rambler more on the ultralight frame (as opposed to my old G2 duplex), but I'm still not crazy about it.

Yeah even with the 1/8th HDPE Plastic its still very flexible with arrows. But not in load capacity but in how it moves.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Ok after a few weeks training with the new frame I have a few opinions. 1st is the torso pads are far superior to any of the previous frames, duplex, bikini and late season. The shoulder straps are more comfy especially being a full wrap as before it was hard plastic on the back section which would sometimes touch under heavy loads. I would say it is the best they have put out but the other frames are also really comfortable and better than most packs. One thing that I would say is a negative is that the frame is definetly hotter than the bikini, having the torso padding soft creates a large surface area trapping heat on your back. I still choose comfort over heat though because you will sweat regardless if hiking hard or carring weight. The last thing I am not sure of is the new non slip surface. It holds better than the old style which I had no slippage issues with. But being more textured causes a very slight discomfort with the skin in the lower back. Not a huge problem but thought I would throw it out there. Exo has the same stuff on their lumbar pad and it was my biggest complaint with it when packing 115 pounds out 3 miles last year.

I know there's been a video that shows the zippy attaching to a duplex frame. I tried it out on my new 22" ultralight frame and its another option. I attached the bag to the top using split bar ladder locs on the zippy and a triglide with webbing. The triglide went through the common loop at the top of the frame and then through the ladder loc.

IMG_1526.JPG

This is slightly lighter than the 22 mag, (~2 lbs) but offers a different bag layout and also the option to use the bag off the frame. I like to think of it as a mini-pointman :)

IMG_1527.JPG

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I need help with a stupid question. How do you attach the guide lid to the frame without another strap or buckle?
ANy one have pictures??
Thanks Micah